Apple Salesman Lies?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Attempted to buy an iPod Nano today and the salesman KEPT pushing me for the 2Gb one as opposed to the 4Gb one... why?!

Told me every excuse from he has one and that 4Gb is not enough anyways...

Is there really THAT much of a margin on the middle of the range one?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    That doesn't make much sense.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    That Dvorak is such a pain in the ass.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by backtomac

That Dvorak is such a pain in the ass.

• Reply 4 of 14
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by kmhtkmhtkmht

Attempted to buy an iPod Nano today and the salesman KEPT pushing me for the 2Gb one as opposed to the 4Gb one... why?!

Classic supply/ demand sales situation. The store manager probably looked at his inventory/ sales statistics and decided the 2GB Nanos were not moving as fast as he liked. So, memo goes out to all sales people at the store, PUSH THE 2GB NANO. I don't think it has to do with margins. More to do with inventory, I think.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Sales, as an occupation, is a whole different ballgame in general. It's a weird career in a way, you could say they have to basically just say whatever to make the sale, lies or truth or bending of the truth.

In 2003/2004 when I was buying quite a bit of Mac and music gear I tried to build some sort of genuine rapport with the Apple resellers... But ended up realising how serious and focused they were on SALES.

There was one kinda nice PC/Apple shop I went to to buy my PowerMac G4, but again well, that's their business, making SALES. \
  • Reply 6 of 14
    I didn't fold though - he nearly sold me cause I've dealt with him before - I am still going to get the 4Gb one when he finally gets it in stock!

(Purely and ONLY for the Nike running thingy...)
  • Reply 7 of 14
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kmhtkmhtkmht

the 4Gb one when he finally gets it in stock!

Well that explains it doesn't it?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    He REALLY was pushing the idea of the 2Gb one though... I've always settled for either extremes, either the "biggest" or the "smallest" - mediocre is bad...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kmhtkmhtkmht

He REALLY was pushing the idea of the 2Gb one though... I've always settled for either extremes, either the "biggest" or the "smallest" - mediocre is bad...

One thing, probably the only morsal of truth, that I learned at Radioshack was that if the customer wants something, he will get it; the main rule there was "once he comes to you, dont let him go anywhere else"

Basicly there is little consumer loyalty amoung the mega chains like RS, BB, CC, C-USA...If he cant get what he wants here, he will get it across the street at that new (big box store) dont let that happen; sell him one and have him pick it up at another store, or if that isnt an availible option, SELL HIM WHAT YOU DO HAVE...odds are if the customer walks out empty handed, they go somewhere else for instant gradification. Admit it, you would not have waited for the 4gs to be in stock, you woulda driven to the next ipod dealer on your way...

Golden rule of Radioshack and the ilk: even if we dont have what they want, DONT LET EM LEAVE EMPTY HANDED!

What about returns u ask? well, that was uncommon, most people just kept whatever crap we sold them; if they didnt like it and it was an iPod (or any audio type device), they usually just offload it on friends or relatives or eBay. (or for all the sales man cares, tossed it in a drawr and forgot about it)
  • Reply 10 of 14
    The only thing I ever ask of Apple Stores sales people are: "where is X located," and "can I have your number?"
  • Reply 11 of 14
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Performa636CD

The only thing I ever ask of Apple Stores sales people are: "where is X located," and "can I have your number?"

• Reply 12 of 14
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Some of them are just clueless. One of them was trying to convince me that 10.4 cannot be installed without "a serial".
  • Reply 13 of 14
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Some of them are just clueless. One of them was trying to convince me that 10.4 cannot be installed without "a serial".

For fun, bring in your poened box for OSX tiger and ask for that guy, then ask him to locate the S/N on your copy...
  • Reply 14 of 14
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    salesman? lie? salesman? lie? i'm confused. time to go work out using my torso jiggle-belt.