leopard .. soon?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
when will leopard be available?

and what if i bought a macbook with OSX 10.4.7 how much will it cost me to upgrade it to Leopard?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Saud

and what if i bought a macbook with OSX 10.4.7 how much will it cost me to upgrade it to Leopard?

My best guess is early January at Macworld for $129. However Apple could offer it before Christmas for $99, who knows!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Saud

I'm thinking Leopard comes out at MWSF in January. No one knows for sure. Maybe we'll find out on the 7th when Jobs shows it off for the first time.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    saudsaud Posts: 75member
    i dont think im gonna wait for that.. waiting for "merom" is long enough.

thanx anyways.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

My best guess is early January at Macworld for $129. However Apple could offer it before Christmas for $99, who knows!

My vote is for the end of March 2007. Not so because the 24th March is a birthday date for OS X (and it could serve as a marketing axis), but because it will give Apple more time to work out any serious issues of the new OS X version. I guess S. Jobs is going to say in WWDC "first quarter of next year" for the release time frame. Which is translated to end of March in usual Apple practices.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I think "shortly after Vista finally, FINALLY ships."

I have a conspiracy theory that Apple knows MS will copy any features they add to OS X, so they've throttled back the cool features and innovation (think: new Finder!) so that when Vista finally ships Apple can embarrass them with an even-more-lightyears-ahead OS. It will take years until the next Windows release after Vista, during which time the comparisons will become more and more unfair, just as comaprisons between the five year old (!) XP and 10.4.7 are pretty unfair.

There are things about OSX that suck. The Finder is one. Networking via the Finder is another. Why, in 5 years, has Apple not fixed these issues? Perhaps instead of patching old code they've instead chosen to write the rules. I expect the new Finder to be heavily threaded, now that all macs sans the cheapest one are multi-core.

Conversely, If apple hasn't FTFF I will freak. You will hear my screams of anger echo around the world.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

There are things about OSX that suck. The Finder is one. Networking via the Finder is another. Why, in 5 years, has Apple not fixed these issues? Perhaps instead of patching old code they've instead chosen to write the rules. I expect the new Finder to be heavily threaded, now that all macs sans the cheapest one are multi-core.

Conversely, If apple hasn't FTFF I will freak. You will hear my screams of anger echo around the world.

The Finder is the big question mark in the upcoming Mac OS X. We know virtually nothing about it. Same for the rest of Leopard technologies of course, less than two weeks now before the conference.

I don't know really what to think about. While I would like to believe that the kind of Finder improvements that you do expect is indeed coming, my conservative side tells me that Apple will disappoint once more.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

The Finder is the big question mark in the upcoming Mac OS X. We know virtually nothing about it. Same for the rest of Leopard technologies of course, less than two weeks now before the conference.

I don't know really what to think about. While I would like to believe that the kind of Finder improvements that you do expect is indeed coming, my conservative side tells me that Apple will disappoint once more.

If they told the old OS X Finder team to pack their bags...we might not be so disappointed. 'course, if it's the same Finder team...I'd be afraid...very afraid.