Safari and CNN crashes

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have two systems on which certain pages from CNN will crash safari every time. I've looked at them with Firefox but can't identify the common element. Often it is repeatable - i.e. the same page will crash Safari over and over. Sometimes it not repeatable - i.e. the same page will sometimes load, sometimes crash. I'm assuming there's something in the ads thats variable thats doing this but was curious if anyone else is running into this and/or has a solution (other than - use Firefox

Thanks,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    The same thing happens to me. I just keep on submitting the crash reports to apple so they eventually fix the issue.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    If it really is adds that crash Safari, also CNN might be interested about it, I don't think they want others to ruin their reputation. If it's their own pages, they might also be interested, probably not, but should still be informed. By the way can you give an example page that crashes your safari.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Project2501

If it really is adds that crash Safari, also CNN might be interested about it, I don't think they want others to ruin their reputation. If it's their own pages, they might also be interested, probably not, but should still be informed. By the way can you give an example page that crashes your safari.

Just found another one this morning that seems to be repeatable. I have also reported many of these to Apple!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

edit: - just after posting this I tried again turning on 'Block popups' and it didn't crash BUT I then turned off 'Block popups' and it still worked Just not fully repeatable that's what makes me think of ads.

edit2: - OK I kept re-load this page with Block popups on and off and could eventually get it to crash in both state so ignore this effect
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by physguy

Just found another one this morning that seems to be repeatable. I have also reported many of these to Apple!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

edit: - just after posting this I tried again turning on 'Block popups' and it didn't crash BUT I then turned off 'Block popups' and it still worked Just not fully repeatable that's what makes me think of ads.

edit2: - OK I kept re-load this page with Block popups on and off and could eventually get it to crash in both state so ignore this effect

I can't get my Safari to crash, but then again I got only two adds, that weren't their own, out of 25 refreshes. Otherwise the CNN site seems to work very well with Safari, hopefully this issue gets fixed.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    The best workaround, for now, is to visit real news sites like iht.com, bbc.co.uk, or nytimes.com...

*dons flameproof suit, ducks*