Apple's wireless Mighty Mouse revealed (photos)

Comments

• Reply 81 of 112
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nikster

Please let this thread know if the new version has the left and right buttons issue fixed, e.g. if you can click either one while leaving all fingers on the mouse.

From the official Apple page, it sure looks like there are two click sensors in front now...

I'll let you know personally, no problem. I know what issue your on about, it doesn't bother me as I naturally lift and click, but the less issues the better.

What do you mean by this though>> "it sure looks like there are two click sensors in front now" ?
  • Reply 82 of 112
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

No, I mean if Boot Camp doesn't have those drivers yet - or if they want to sell to an actual PC.

You said the magic word ? yet.

Unlike the camera, I can't see Apple not allowing this to work on a Mac with Windows installed. People would get pissed off if they had to get another wireless mouse, or any mouse. Particularly if they sell this as an option for a new machine.

It may take a little while, but I'm pretty sure it will be done.
  • Reply 83 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

That was in reference to MP3 players - my bluetooth keyboard is used for at least a couple of hours every day ands gets through only 4 batteries (one set) a year. Although - a chargeable system would be better - but more expensive.

I tried different types of chargable batteries, but none lasted terribly long. The problem is that except for lithium, they all self discharge too quickly. Even if the keyboard isn't being used, they go in a couple of weeks or so.

My batteries last a little over a half year. do you leave yours on, or turn it off? I leave mine on.
  • Reply 84 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by verucabong

Nice.

Hey fielder fielder!

"Take... Luck...!"
  • Reply 85 of 112
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I tried different types of chargable batteries, but none lasted terribly long. The problem is that except for lithium, they all self discharge too quickly. Even if the keyboard isn't being used, they go in a couple of weeks or so.

My batteries last a little over a half year. do you leave yours on, or turn it off? I leave mine on.

I turn my BT keyboard off when I'm not using it and after 9 months I'm still on the original batteries that came with it when I bought it.

Why leave it on when your not there?

When I come back I just turn the keyboard on, wait like 1 second and press any key to wake up my mac, simple and saves battery power.
  • Reply 86 of 112
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    The BT mouse and keyboard turn themselves off if you leave them alone. The problem is that rechargeable batteries discharge themselves even when switched off.

It's no big deal though. I've a couple of sets. When the battery indicator says it's low, I stick a set on fast charge and usually before the existing set has run out, I've a fresh pair ready. Since I'm usually using a keyboard/mouse 10+ hours a day, 7 days a week, it's a well practised ritual.
  • Reply 87 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

Why leave it on when your not there?

Lazyness!
  • Reply 88 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

You said the magic word ? yet.

Why make someone re-download boot camp when you can ship them the drivers on the CDs? I mean, it seems like a waste, because people will get the updated Boot Camp not knowing what it does, and people who buy the mouse might not even know BC was updated. Ship the Windows drivers with the mouse, save time & bandwidth.
  • Reply 89 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

Why make someone re-download boot camp when you can ship them the drivers on the CDs? I mean, it seems like a waste, because people will get the updated Boot Camp not knowing what it does, and people who buy the mouse might not even know BC was updated. Ship the Windows drivers with the mouse, save time & bandwidth.

All I meant by that was that it may take time for them to develop those drivers, assuming that they will.

How they distribute them is something else, and is anyones guess.
  • Reply 90 of 112
    Considering Bootcamp is beta and it's not even certain Apple will use it in Leopard, shipping Windows drivers with the mouse would seem the lowest of priorities.
  • Reply 91 of 112
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Considering Bootcamp is beta and it's not even certain Apple will use it in Leopard, shipping Windows drivers with the mouse would seem the lowest of priorities.

Apple have said the final version of BootCamp will be in Leopard - they generally keep their promises about software features.
  • Reply 92 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Apple have said the final version of BootCamp will be in Leopard - they generally keep their promises about software features.

No they have not.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

"Apple will include technology in the next major release of Mac OS X, Leopard, that lets you install and run the Windows XP operating system on your Mac. Called Boot Camp (for now), you can download a public beta today."

That does not say that they will include Boot Camp. It says they will include a solution to let you run Windows but that isn't necessarily Boot Camp. Read between the lines. It leaves the door open for them including virtualization instead of having to reboot.
  • Reply 93 of 112
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Read between the lines.

Perhaps you are reading too much between the lines, because in the same way their quote

Quote:

Called Boot Camp (for now), you can download a public beta today.

would mean that they intend to finalize Boot Camp for Leopard and include it (probably under another name) as a Windows solution on a Mac.
  • Reply 94 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Perhaps you are reading too much between the lines, because in the same way their quote

would mean that they intend to finalize Boot Camp for Leopard and include it (probably under another name) as a Windows solution on a Mac.

Yes, so either way, they won't be including Boot Camp, it'll be something else.
  • Reply 95 of 112
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

No they have not.

"Apple will include technology in the next major release of Mac OS X, Leopard, that lets you install and run the Windows XP operating system on your Mac. Called Boot Camp (for now), you can download a public beta today."

That does not say that they will include Boot Camp. It says they will include a solution to let you run Windows but that isn't necessarily Boot Camp. Read between the lines. It leaves the door open for them including virtualization instead of having to reboot.

Yes it does - it says Apple will include the technology in the Leopard
  • Reply 96 of 112
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    I believe they also said a few weeks ago (correct me if I'm wrong), that Leopard will NOT have any virtualization software, which would cause me to believe that they will simply be rebranding/finalizing Boot Camp.
  • Reply 97 of 112
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

I believe they also said a few weeks ago (correct me if I'm wrong), that Leopard will NOT have any virtualization software, which would cause me to believe that they will simply be rebranding/finalizing Boot Camp.

Yes.
  • Reply 98 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Yes.

And Phil also said Apple wouldn't be supporting Windows on the Mac AT ALL...

"After Jobs' presentation, Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there are no plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. "That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will," he said. "We won't do anything to preclude that.""

http://news.com.com/Apple+throws+the...3-5733756.html

The Boot Camp page says they will include technology to allow running Windows on your Mac. It doesn't say Boot Camp is THE technology. So, IMO, be ready for Phil to eat his words again.
  • Reply 99 of 112
    Quote:

No they have not.

It says exactly that. How can you not agree?
  • Reply 100 of 112
    Quote:

And Phil also said Apple wouldn't be supporting Windows on the Mac AT ALL...

"After Jobs' presentation, Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there are no plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. "That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will," he said. "We won't do anything to preclude that.""

http://news.com.com/Apple+throws+the...3-5733756.html

The Boot Camp page says they will include technology to allow running Windows on your Mac. It doesn't say Boot Camp is THE technology. So, IMO, be ready for Phil to eat his words again.

Phil's statement was far more nebulous than the statement about Boot Camp. Boot Camp does not mean that Apple is SUPPORTING Windows, it just means that they are providing means for it to run ? a far different matter. Support means that they will actively help when someone has problems with Windows, again, completely different.

Even if they sell Windows in their stores, and on the website, it doesn't mean that Apple is supporting it. That will be left to MS, as that is what they do with the retail versions.

Apple would have to bundle windows with the Mac, or some other program to have to support it.