Why does everyone dis the 14" iBook?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Actually, the 12" screens are brighter.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Everyone says that, but everyone also says that the iBook's screen is super bright and just about the best thing out there, but all the ones I've seen at Apple stores (12" or 14") have been very dim and washed out. I even calibrated the displays to look better, but they were still bad. My Wallstreet (four years old) has a much nicer looking screen. I have noticed that the 14" is at least the equal of the 12" screen in terms of brightness (regardless of what people say), the TiBook screen is much nicer than either of the iBook screens, and the Studio Displays are much brighter and better than the TiBook display.

I don't know, but I disagree with just about everything people say WRT the iBook. Most people like the 12" and say the 14" is ugly, but I'm the other way around. Most people say the 12" screen is brighter, but I think it's the other way around. I don't know why that is.

EDIT: Why do I care anyway? I never bring my laptop around and use it on the road. It's nice to be able to bring it home when I visit (I'm living in a dorm now), but I think I'd rather have a desktop anyway. Desktops are much less expensive for the power and expandability.

[ 09-12-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 31
    I don't know, I have to agree with the most of us in that the 14" iBook is completely ugly. It's wide and looks awkward, and you can forget about the small portability like on the 12" iBook. I've played around with both and have a buddy who has a 12" version and I just think it's perfect. For those of you wanting a larger screen I think the answer is going to a TiBook. I know, I know, we've all heard it- "we don't need that much of a computer" "it's too expensive" so on and so forth. But if you're really looking for screen size then it would seem to me that your running programs that involve imaging and processing power such as photoshop or FCP which require more realestate and resolution. Either way though the 14" incher is out there, so if that's what makes your clock tick then by all means buy what makes you happy.

-CFPC
  • Reply 23 of 31
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>

Everyone says that, but everyone also says that the iBook's screen is super bright and just about the best thing out there, but all the ones I've seen at Apple stores (12" or 14") have been very dim and washed out. I even calibrated the displays to look better, but they were still bad. My Wallstreet (four years old) has a much nicer looking screen. I have noticed that the 14" is at least the equal of the 12" screen in terms of brightness (regardless of what people say), the TiBook screen is much nicer than either of the iBook screens, and the Studio Displays are much brighter and better than the TiBook display.

I don't know, but I disagree with just about everything people say WRT the iBook. Most people like the 12" and say the 14" is ugly, but I'm the other way around. Most people say the 12" screen is brighter, but I think it's the other way around. I don't know why that is.

EDIT: Why do I care anyway? I never bring my laptop around and use it on the road. It's nice to be able to bring it home when I visit (I'm living in a dorm now), but I think I'd rather have a desktop anyway. Desktops are much less expensive for the power and expandability.

[ 09-12-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're right that the iBook's LCDs look washed out in the Apple Stores. It's probably all that white in the stores or something. But seeing 14" iBooks in other places like CompUSA for example, you can tell the 12" ones are brighter. And since I've got a 12" iBook I know how the screen is all the time.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:

<strong>The whole keyboard area on the 14" looks half ass, like they threw it together at the last minute. I am sorry but all of that empty space around the keyboard screams: "Apple you can design better than this!"</strong><hr></blockquote>

I was surprised Apple didn't put the speakers in the empty space, to fill it up a bit.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by LudwigVan:

<strong>

I was surprised Apple didn't put the speakers in the empty space, to fill it up a bit.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, that would've made a lot of sense.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by LudwigVan:

<strong>

I was surprised Apple didn't put the speakers in the empty space, to fill it up a bit.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why would they do that...??? Your palms would be on it and than that would make them sound like crap. The thing is you have no way around making the empty space work with the size of the computer. you look at any Wintel Laptop with a 15" display they don't look that open because they ahve a bunch of junk the ibook is nice and clean looking.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Apple does that with the TiBook. He means the empty space to the sides of the keyboard, not the palm rests. I've seen PC laptops with speakers on the palm rests and it's honestly one of the dumbest things ever. Laptop speakers are bad enough as it is, they need as much help as they can get.

Currently, both iBooks have the speakers in the same place - on the corners of the lower section. It would make the 14" iBook look less bare if the speakers were moved to the sides of the keyboard. And a 4 speaker setup would be cool, like on the 3400 (but it probably won't happen).
  • Reply 28 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by progmac:

<strong>i like the 14" iBook. 1024x768 makes stuff a little hard to read on a 12" screen, especially if i will be using it for long periods of time to read text. Apparently i am in the minority though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i bump up the font all the time, too
  • Reply 29 of 31
    I baught a 14" Ibook about 3 weeks ago and I absoultely love it. The screen size is perfect for viewing dvd's and play medal of honor. I dont know why anybody had to dis them. There really great.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>Apple does that with the TiBook. He means the empty space to the sides of the keyboard, not the palm rests. I've seen PC laptops with speakers on the palm rests and it's honestly one of the dumbest things ever. Laptop speakers are bad enough as it is, they need as much help as they can get.

Currently, both iBooks have the speakers in the same place - on the corners of the lower section. It would make the 14" iBook look less bare if the speakers were moved to the sides of the keyboard. And a 4 speaker setup would be cool, like on the 3400 (but it probably won't happen).</strong><hr></blockquote>

I see what your talking about now. the speakers do look nice on the side of the keyboard but I don't know if that would work with the ibook since the iBook isn't as wide. I wish and hope in the furture Apple will actually start putting some real speakers in their Laptops. I like how they have all the sound features setup on a Mac so it isn't to loud expecially when you have it in school but I was trying to watch a divx movie in school one day and I had the audio up all the way and still couldn't hear it. Most likely this is because of how they ripped the movie but still it would be nice to hear it. By the way I did use the Divx validator so the audio would work but the iBook didn't have volume. But it shoulds great running though my creative labs speaker setup!! :eek:

[ 09-20-2002: Message edited by: BrianMacOS ]</p>