Apple hears the MacBook Pro whining sound

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer this week acknowledged that some of its 15-inch MacBook Pro notebooks may emit an irritable whining sound and said affected customers should contact the company.

In a rather curt statement on its support site, the Mac maker wrote: "If your 15-inch MacBook Pro emits a high-pitched buzzing sound, please contact AppleCare for service." Apple offered no other details.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company has been scurrying to mend a handful of minor issues reported with its new MacBook product lines, the the first of its consumer and professional notebooks to use chips and underlying technology from Intel Corp.

Despite the minor hiccups, Apple last quarter generated $1.16B in notebook sales, shipping nearly 800,000 units. The company said the notebook unit total consisted of a primary mix of MacBook and MacBook Pro models, and to a lesser extent, PowerBook G4s that remained in inventory.

Of all the models, Apple's consumer oriented Intel MacBook has emerged as a top seller. Although the company said it shipped a "significant number" of MacBooks in June, it still exited its recent fiscal quarter without enough supply to meet demand.

Earlier this week, the Mac maker admitted there is a problem with some of its white MacBooks where the computer casing may exhibit signs of premature discoloration.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Apple hears the customer whining sound, too.

• Reply 2 of 61
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    How is that statement curt? Apple is saying what the problem is and what you should do to fix it. Sounds pretty good to me ... why inundate people with useless information. If your MBP is screaming like a bitch, call Apple. That's all I need to know ... nothing more.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AgNuke1707

If your MBP is screaming like a bitch, call Apple.

Now THAT would have been curt
  • Reply 4 of 61
    amackamack Posts: 19member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

hahahaha!!
  • Reply 5 of 61
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    that terse statement has been on Apple's site for a few days now.

I hope this puts the current crop of Apple "OMG Apple sucks" naysayers in a better mood.

Apple's next few words should be "If your MacBook randomly powers off, please contact AppleCare for service."
  • Reply 6 of 61
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Nothing like being a day late and a dollar short on this one.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

THAT cracks me up.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    Nice to know that they see the issue and are making mends. Make people happy is key to repeated business.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    jvolinojvolino Posts: 25member
    AppleInsider's grammar ace stikes again:

"irritable" means "easily irritated or annoyed," which perhaps some people believe a computer can be, but typically they are not.

The author should have said "irritating" as in "to rouse to impatience or anger; annoy"

"Terse" could have been used in lieu of "curt."

--Judd
  • Reply 10 of 61
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.Scott

Nice to know that they see the issue and are making mends. Make people happy is key to repeated business.

I have one of the MBP's and while Apple appears to be doing the right thing, they are dragging their feet. I have been waiting a week on Apple Engineering to call me back and let me know what to do with my MBP.

It has already been in for a dead track pad and invertor swap which didn't help the problem.

I am ready to get the buzz/whine fixed.

It is nice they finally admit it and to all those jerks that said we were hearing things, UP YOURS!
  • Reply 11 of 61
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    My MBP is quiet noise-wise, though there's the issue of being 10 deg hotter than what other people report.

Did Apple ever do anything similar with the G5 PowerMac?
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.Scott

Apple makes me very unhappy, but I still give them a lot of business.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Hey at least all this means that the legendary "rev B"s have got to be perfect by the time they drop.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Yeah, a friend of mine took in his 2.0 GHz MBP in the other day due to the whining sound and got a brand new 2.16 GHz model. Not too shabby.

Mine has the whining sound too and I'm debating about waiting until the next revision before I take it in.

And yeah, I've already had to take it in to get the battery replaced due to the faulty battery problem. After a quick look, they sent me a new battery right away, so I've been happy with the service so far.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    about freaking time.

they should just replace all whining macbook pros with a new merom unit coming out shortly =)
  • Reply 16 of 61
    recompilerecompile Posts: 100member
    I own two macbook pros. I hear whinning ALL OF THE TIME!!!!

It is mostly from envious PC users, and it sounds something like this...

UUUHHHH!!! I want one of those too!!!! My PC sucks, and yours dosen't!!! It's not Faaaaiiiirrrr!!!
  • Reply 17 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by ReCompile

I own two macbook pros. I hear whinning ALL OF THE TIME!!!!

It is mostly from envious PC users, and it sounds something like this...

UUUHHHH!!! I want one of those too!!!! My PC sucks, and yours dosen't!!! It's not Faaaaiiiirrrr!!!

TWO!? What do u need two for? I say you give one to me.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by McHuman

Apple hears the customer whining sound, too.

In part yes. It means mostly that Apple found a solution at last.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    Does anyone have an email address for Applecare? Last time I phoned them, their phone service was awaful.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

In part yes. It means mostly that Apple found a solution at last.

could they possibly be using less thermal paste?