Live messenger for mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
are there any plans to release live messenger or a similar version for mac?

as ive had a look on my friends pc and it looks ok

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    There's Microsoft's Mac Messenger, which is compatible.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:

There's Microsoft's Mac Messenger, which is compatible.

yer i no, bt that doesn't have a lot of the features that 'live' does. i mean, if you could use the isight as a webcam in messenger, that wud b good, or if you could nudge someone, so to speak
  • Reply 3 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    How does this app compare?

http://amsn.sourceforge.net/index.php

I'm not into the whole messaging thing but I've heard a few complaints about the lack of live messenger for Mac and I wondered if this would be any good.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    If you want to talk with your friends who will be using MSN Live I suggest you use Yahoo! Messenger for Mac

It has everything you want:

* New look and feel for OS X

* New features including Avatars, sounds, and display images

* IM with friends that use Windows Live? (MSN) Messenger*

It is a Beta (Beta 3.0 "Beta 1") but I have been using it for a few weeks and it has been very stable!!

plus it has the nudge you like
  • Reply 5 of 15
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Yeah, but that doesn't give you video support for Windows Live users.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

How does this app compare?

http://amsn.sourceforge.net/index.php

I'm not into the whole messaging thing but I've heard a few complaints about the lack of live messenger for Mac and I wondered if this would be any good.

cheers, i downloaded each of the ones suggested and this one was the best

i suggest using this one

thanks very much
  • Reply 7 of 15
    guinessguiness Posts: 31member
    I personally prefer Adium quite a bit more over aMSN just because the look and feel seem more smooth, but aMSN does provide video support to MSN for Windows users. Of course you could also use iChat to videochat to AIM for Windows or the beta of Skype for Mac with video to talk to PC users and they have better quality...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Of course you could also use iChat to videochat to AIM for Windows

could do, but the i would have to convince all mi mates to download it and create accounts, not worth the hassle...
  • Reply 9 of 15
    hitbyhitby Posts: 38member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Darth_Apple

If you want to talk with your friends who will be using MSN Live I suggest you use Yahoo! Messenger for Mac

It has everything you want:

* New look and feel for OS X

* New features including Avatars, sounds, and display images

* IM with friends that use Windows Live? (MSN) Messenger*

It is a Beta (Beta 3.0 "Beta 1") but I have been using it for a few weeks and it has been very stable!!

plus it has the nudge you like

jooi, How do you use Yahoo messenger with msn? do you have to sign up for a yahoo messenger account as well as having your msn one?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

How do you use Yahoo messenger with msn? do you have to sign up for a yahoo messenger account as well as having your msn one?

i dont think it does work, your better off using aMSN, that works fine
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

i dont think it does work, your better off using aMSN, that works fine

Tried them all. And to be honest, Mercury Messenger is by far and away the best. Its fast to login to, stable, easy to manage interface, track conversations etc. Built-in support for the isight inbuilt mac webcams we have, and has RSS feed support (something Windows Live messenger DOESNT have!).

I'd thoroughly recommend it to any Mac user out there.
  • Reply 12 of 15
  • Reply 13 of 15
    i downloaded the mercury messenger its amazing i'm using the isight built in camera on my msn account through mercury messenger its fantastic and this is only the free one!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blondeboi4 View Post

i downloaded the mercury messenger its amazing i'm using the isight built in camera on my msn account through mercury messenger its fantastic and this is only the free one!

Mercury does not support audio/video for mac.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Just FYI, there's this new upstart company calling themselves Google, who support video chat on Mac, Linux and Windows platforms. This 'Google' appears to be committed to cross-platform interoperability. The ability to chat comes with the creation of an email account from some site called GMail or Google Mail or something.

Yahoo? AIM? MSN Live? WTF?! It's 2010, people. Time to cancel your AOL accounts, too.