Suttle changes to the iPod for a new concept

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Lets look at the Tech specs of the 30GB iPod

>>> 2.5-inch (diagonal) color LCD with LED backlight

>>> Battery

>>> Click Wheel

>>> Earbud headphones, USB cable, Dock Adapter, case

Here is the idea: (a 'stationery iPod') Drop some of the specs and make a iPod made for the car or home stereo

Take the 2.5 LCD down to a 1.5" (no need for a 2.5" LCD if it would be in the glove box)

Drop the Battery (no need if it is going to be powered by the car's 12v outlet)

Drop the click wheel (no need if it is going to be controled by the steering wheel)

Drop the headphones (no need if it is going to play on the car's speakers)

The 30GB iPod costs 299$. This product would cost 279$ **But 229$ if you buy with any iPod nano or iPod Video

This product would be intended for someone that wants a 2nd or 3rd iPod. For the rich (the ones that have more money than they know what to do with) They could leave the Car iPod in their car and take their Video iPod "on the go"

What would this do for Apple ???

They get two sales *(as with the discount: only 229$ if bought with any iPod)

Could help witht the total number of sales

Would not cost much to make -Really just droping some of the parts

With the drop of the click wheel and taking the 2.5 LCD down to a 1.5 LCD its not like someone could buy a Car iPod in place of a nano or video iPod (for portable use) = So Apple still gets that sale

What do you think ????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Interesting idea, but iPod is all about portability, and this has a very limited application area, so it won't happen. Also, you meant to write 'subtle' didn't you?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    that's about the stupidest idea ever.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I'd just take my first iPod on the car. Who needs two iPods?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

Who needs two iPods?

(raises his hand)

I use my 4G iPod as my exclusive car music player. See, Apple screwed a lot of us over when they removed the remote port on the iPod. Now, to use my 5G in the car, I either have to give up powering the iPod from the car or having a remote control (since both use the dock connector). My 4G still allows car power AND a remote at the same time.

My 5G is reserved for going everywhere else with me.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    shady104shady104 Posts: 332member
    stupid idea who would pay 300 bucks for an ipod they can only use in there car