Intel: Merom notebooks to arrive late next month

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Intel Corp. on Thursday said notebook computer systems based on its new Core 2 Duo mobile processors, previously code-named Merom, should begin hitting the market by the end of August.

During a presentation at its Santa Clara, Calif. headquarters, the world's largest chip maker rolled out a total of ten Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme processors for both desktop and notebook computers. Each of the chips are based on the company's new Core microarchitecture, which was designed to provide powerful yet energy-efficient performance.

Prior to Thursday's unveiling, Intel began shipments of production-ready Intel Core 2 Duo processors for both desktops (Conroe) and notebook (Merom) to its partners, such as Apple Computer. The company said the first Conroe-based systems should begin to show up from PC manufacturers in early August while Merom-based notebooks will be available at the end of August.

Meanwhile, Intel said systems based on its Core 2 Extreme chips (the high-end, performance version of Conroe) are already available from some system manufacturers.

"The Core 2 Duo processors are simply the best processors in the world," said Intel chief executive Paul Otellini. "Not since Intel introduced the Pentium processor has the industry seen the heart of the computer reinvented like this.

Otellini added that the highly anticipated processor family has already received very broad support with more than 550 customer system designs underway -- the most in Intel's history.

While Apple's plans for the new Conroe chips are uncertain at this time, the company is widely expected to adopt Merom in an upcoming revision to its MacBook Pro line of professional notebooks.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based Mac maker has historically targeted upgrades to its professional notebook lines around the September time frame. However, complications with its previous microchip suppliers sometimes caused the company to stumble along the way.

Last year, updates to the PowerBook G4 slipped several weeks from their target launch during the third week of September due to microprocessor availability issues and bugs in the notebooks' Intrepid 2 chipset. During the previous year, a dearth of higher performance G4 processors prevented any release of faster PowerBook systems during the second half of the year.

This year, things may play out differently for Apple, thanks in part to a more reliable supply of the industry's fastest microprocessors -- one of the primary reasons Apple turned away from IBM and Freescale and towards Intel as its chip supplier.

When asked last week whether Intel's more robust and higher frequency product roll-out schedule would allow Apple update its systems at a faster pace than in the past, company executive vice president Tim Cook would only say that he was "very pleased to be working with Intel" and the new partnership would allow Apple to "change over time."

Apple last updated its MacBook Pro line of professional notebooks in January, commencing shipments the following month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Apple's going to be over Core Architecture like a pig in shat.

Intel is going very aggresive on the product launches of Core Arch and Apple and others are going to be the beneficiaries of such good fortune.

This is great I wouldn't mind picking up another Mac mini with either a fast Yonah chip or Merom in it next year. I know that my first Apple laptop will be Merom based as well.

I get giddy with excitement about all this stuff.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    I'm guessing announcement with WWDC and shipping by the 23rd. Random dates FTW.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    I say Paris Expo. Is that Sept 12th? Shipping imeadiately.

i have the ££ ready, now I'm just waiting... and unfortunately I'll want a 7200rpm drive, so I'll probably have to wait an extra week or two.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Meanwhile, in another part of the world, the IBM PowerPC team collectively sits in its living room, dressed only in a bathrobe, eating pints of chunky ice cream while grumbling about "still being a contender..."
  • Reply 5 of 68
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

The company said the first Conroe-based systems should begin to show up from PC manufacturers in early August

iMacs???
  • Reply 6 of 68
    Anecdotal evidence it is, but from where I sit there are MANY, MANY people who decided to wait for the next version of the MacBook Pro.

I'm one of them, and the very second the new MBP is available, I will be ordering one up and starting the goodbyes with my trusty PowerBook.

I predict that 2nd gen MPB's are going to sell like crazy and Apple will not be able to catch up with inventory until Jan. '07.

gc
  • Reply 7 of 68
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GordonComstock

Anecdotal evidence it is, but from where I sit there are MANY, MANY people who decided to wait for the next version of the MacBook Pro.

I'm one of them, and the very second the new MBP is available, I will be ordering one up c

Me too.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    With a pin compatible Merom placed inside a MBP, would the Merom equipped MBP be a rev. 2 (or 3) machine?

In other words, when IBM and Moto chips were trickling out, it was easy to wait to buy a rev. 2 or 3 PB. Most everything in the notebook was the same.

I would like to buy a Merom MBP, but not a rev. 1. I'd like most of the bugs to be worked out before I purchase a new laptop (and associated unviversal software).

Any ideas? Opinions?
  • Reply 9 of 68
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backcheck

With a pin compatible Merom placed inside a MBP, would the Merom equipped MBP be a rev. 2 (or 3) machine?

Merom and Yonah are pin compatible. So it depends on what other architectural changes Apple is going to do. I think there is a good chance to see a completely revamped MBP.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by backcheck

In other words, when IBM and Moto chips were trickling out, it was easy to wait to buy a rev. 2 or 3 PB. Most everything in the notebook was the same.

I would like to buy a Merom MBP, but not a rev. 1. I'd like most of the bugs to be worked out before I purchase a new laptop (and associated unviversal software).

Any ideas? Opinions?

Jan 2008 should be safe.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by OfficerDigby

Jan 2008 should be safe.

..to get a refurb.
  • Reply 12 of 68
    mowenbrownmowenbrown Posts: 153member
    I think we'll see speed bumps and better specs, but I am holding onto my PB until Sata Rosa arrives in Feb. I think that'll be when we see and first true redesign of the PB/MBP from stem to stern....
  • Reply 13 of 68
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    is merom really going to be that superior to yonah? =(
  • Reply 14 of 68
    kerrumkerrum Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Me too.

Same here! I am expecting to be completely blown away. Doing an iBook G3 to MacBook Pro Merom upgrade will be like night and day... As soon as there is an order button on the Apple website for this next generation, I will be clicking it.

-Kerrum
  • Reply 15 of 68
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

There is talk for about 20-30% performance improvement at the same clock speed. It remains to see some real benchmarks.
  • Reply 16 of 68
    Quote:

I am holding onto my PB until Sata Rosa arrives in Feb.

Santa Rosa's now not due 'til late April 2007.
  • Reply 17 of 68
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    The core processors will stall at 2.8 GHz and four cores.
  • Reply 18 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

Unless I'm mistaken, it's 32bit vs 64bit for a start...
  • Reply 19 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

The core processors will stall at 2.8 GHz and four cores.

I read somewhere that beyond Kentsfield*, Cloverton* and Tigerton*, there is an 8 - 32 core chip on the way. I'll try to dig out the page...

Unless you meant core vs core "2"?

*I'm statring to get confused with all these names, I just know that I would like a dual woodcrest in the "good" mac pro in Aug...
  • Reply 20 of 68
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

There is talk for about 20-30% performance improvement at the same clock speed. It remains to see some real benchmarks.

Precisely, im hoping its noticebly faster than a Yonah, Inte's making a big song and dance about it, my partner got her hands on a MBP and its a nice machine, im now due to update my PB 1.25G, but id like it to blow the MBP - purely for bragging rights!.