Macbook Boot Problem: No Video - Stops After Powerup - Please Help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi guys,

I hope someone here can help me because I'm pretty desperate. I installed Bootcamp on my new Macbook (13-inch) with no problems. Both OS X and XP were running great. I restarted to boot into Windows. I held the option key and the Bootcamp screen came up. I was doing something else on another machine, so held the option key for no more than 5 seconds longer after the Bootcamp screen appeared. Then it went into some strange state where the power is on (front light plus fans) but there is no video (not just no backlight) and it appears nothing happens after power on. I've turned it off by holding the power key, but every time I turn it back on, the same problem occurs.

I'd really really appreciate your help. I'm in a bad way cos I've got important work files on there I need to access today. Anyone that can help solve this problem I'll buy them a book or DVD or their choice from Amazon as a reward. Thanks guys.

Eoghan,

Dublin, Ireland

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    First hunch: try holding down the power key for 10 seconds (you should hear a "click" or something to indicate that the hardware is completely off), then pressing it again.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    eogeeoge Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

First hunch: try holding down the power key for 10 seconds (you should hear a "click" or something to indicate that the hardware is completely off), then pressing it again.

I've tried that many times already I'm afraid. It doesn't boot at all. No "chime" sound at start up. Thanks though.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Okay. Next two hunches:

1) Try resetting your PRAM. Press the power button and then immediately press and hold cmd-opt-P-R. You should hear the boot sound again. Do this a few times, then try and boot normally.

2) Try resetting your PMU. Read this for more information.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Okay. Next two hunches:

1) Try resetting your PRAM. Press the power button and then immediately press and hold cmd-opt-P-R. You should hear the boot sound again. Do this a few times, then try and boot normally.

2) Try resetting your PMU. Read this for more information.

Neither provide a solution. Thanks again.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Have you tried removing your battery and booting it exclusively off AC? Or, vice versa, removing the AC plug and booting off battery?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Have you tried removing your battery and booting it exclusively off AC? Or, vice versa, removing the AC plug and booting off battery?

That didn't work but I took one of the RAM modules out, started the machine: the problem was solved. Put the module back in: still no problem! So what was wrong? Loose RAM module? I'm glad the problem's solved but worried it might happen again.

Anyway, thanks for all your advice Chucker.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Yeah, it must have been loose, although it sounds weird that this would coincide with using the boot selection screen.

Glad you figured it out.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Yeah, it must have been loose, although it sounds weird that this would coincide with using the boot selection screen.

Glad you figured it out.

Thanks mate.