Vista vs Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Macs rock, we all know it, that's why we're here.

But I must say, Vista (while a complete ripoff of OSX...) is by FAR the hugest and best Windows update since Win95. It has even ME drooling over PCs for the first time in YEARS.

Anybody have any thoughts on Vista vs Leopard? Vista's resolution independence is NICE.. And it is WAY good-looking (for Windows) even compared to OSX. Plus getting a Vista system is much cheaper than buying a new Mac...

Here are some articles on Vista's features:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_vista

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...s/default.mspx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by turnwrite

But I must say, Vista (while a complete ripoff of OSX...) is by FAR the hugest and best Windows update since Win95.

I found 2000 and XP to be much more significant upgrades.

Quote:

Plus getting a Vista system is much cheaper than buying a new Mac...

Not this again.
  • Reply 2 of 78
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    There's very little in Vista that has me drooling, and no surprise, as I've had the great majority of Vista's features for years now.

But I suspect it will be quite popular among Windows users.... for that very same reason.

Anyway, if we're going to do this comparison, we need to know more about Leopard (of which resolution independence is practically a guaranteed feature, btw).

We'll know more in just a week, so let's wait just a bit, shall we?
  • Reply 3 of 78
    turnwriteturnwrite Posts: 372member
    Oh!

You're right, I completely forgot about the WWDC!!

Thanks, good idea, let's continue this thread next week, it'll be much more interesting then...
  • Reply 4 of 78
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    I tried Vista on my new Dell PC at work a few weeks ago and couldn't wait to switch back to XP. I really disliked it for the 20-30 minutes I used it.

Having said that, I will say there are many features and UI concepts/refinements from XP I hope to see in Leopard.
  • Reply 5 of 78
    Really?

You DISliked Vista?

Why? What about it didn't you like?

My friend and I installed it on his pooter, and we LOVED it.. No games would run, since they're not compatible with DX10, but that's just the beta; the final will include DX9 as well, for compatibility...

So what did you not like?
  • Reply 6 of 78
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    As far as I can tell from that Wikipedia article, there is almost nothing Vista's got as far as technologies go that OS X hasn't had (in most cases, for years). And the imitation is comical (chess, switching outlook's name to Mail). SuperFetch and ReadyBoost>> sort of interesting/weird but way too far fetched to actually work.

SideShow> based on a false premise (for mac users anyway)-it is completely practical to start my laptop to check an adress or phone number because it takes less than a second to wake from sleep.

Even Apple, when they stole the widgets idea had the decency to not go and change the name. Gadgets-ooh, sneaky. Wait a minute! Is that or is that not a wire basket????http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...e/sidebar.mspx

Ooh, look, they have system wide speech recognition!
  • Reply 7 of 78
    Yeah, I agree about it being a COMPLETE SHAMEFUL RIPOFF of OSX..... But that doesn't make it any less cool!

For a PC, this is really good!

(Even Smart Folders they copied.... And big icons.... And transparent title bars on windows..... the list goes on and on.....)

I mean, I will always be a Mac user. But I am still drooling over Vista. For a PC, this is BIG.

(and Macs don't yet have the 3Dness, though they may soon...)
  • Reply 8 of 78
    Quote:

Yeah, I agree about it being a COMPLETE SHAMEFUL RIPOFF of OSX..... But that doesn't make it any less cool!

For a PC, this is really good!

(Even Smart Folders they copied.... And big icons.... And transparent title bars on windows..... the list goes on and on.....)

I mean, I will always be a Mac user. But I am still drooling over Vista. For a PC, this is BIG.

(and Macs don't yet have the 3Dness, though they may soon...)

What do you mean by 3Dness?
  • Reply 9 of 78
    When you alt-tab (Win equivalent of CMD-tab on a mac) in Vista, it cycles through the windows in a 3D view.

No practical REASON for this, and it KILLS your graphics card, but hey- same with the Genie effect and we all LOVE that....

Here's some pix:

http://www.dylangreene.com/custom/Im...ablonghorn.jpg

http://blogs.developpeur.org/photos/.../original.aspx

http://www.winvistabeta.com/files%2F...tch-screen.jpg

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/r...iew-flip3d.jpg
  • Reply 10 of 78
    How on earth is Flip3D better than Exposé?

Sure, it's a snazzy effect, but it's just a plain inferior window management system. You have keep hitting tab (can you select a window by mousing over?) and can't see the windows contents. It's painfully clear that MS felt limited to what they could do because of the appearance of ripping off Exposé (or at least until Vista SP2).

If you're looking for snazzy effects, I assure you Leopard will have them in spades.

But I'm looking for genuinely innovative UI features. That ain't Flip3D.

(OTOH, Vista's updated alt-tab looks pretty nice.)
  • Reply 11 of 78
    Quote:

When you alt-tab (Win equivalent of CMD-tab on a mac) in Vista, it cycles through the windows in a 3D view.

No practical REASON for this, and it KILLS your graphics card,

Yeah, no kidding.

Quote:

but hey- same with the Genie effect and we all LOVE that....

But Genie doesn't cause any harm either. This flip 3d busines seems incredibly stupid with all the windows piled up on top of one another. I *hope* they at least have the capability of choosing any of the windows with the mouse and not forcing to cycle through them all like the current alt-tab. grrrr...

As far as 3d eye-candy goes, the "user-switch" cube in OS X is nice and effective in conveying the idea of changing users, for example. In other words its not just fancy eye-candy, it helps to make the os a more intuitive experience.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Actually, the Genie Effect *does* have a practical reason - it shows the user precisely where the window is going. That's highly useful for keeping user's from panicking when their window disappears. "OMG! I closed it!" "No, it's down there on the Dock now, see?" -> "Oh, it slid down there into the Dock."
  • Reply 13 of 78
    That's true, I've never experienced OSX with Quartz Extreme, so I can't do a great comparison of this...

I've got an iBook G3 366, which obviously has no Quartz Extreme, so I don't get the Cube, or the "Plop" when you stick stuff on the Dashboard....

And on MY system the Genie is sort of blocky and slow, and yes I changed it to Suck, which helped, and yes the 3D stuff is worse and requires much more power but you HAVE TO ADMIT:

that would be SO FUN to show off...

"OO! Look what my OS can do!"

"w00t. I, a n00b, bow before you..."

Although you guys may have a point that OSX can do it better with QE....
  • Reply 14 of 78
    Quote:

That's true, I've never experienced OSX with Quartz Extreme, so I can't do a great comparison of this...

I've got an iBook G3 366, which obviously has no Quartz Extreme, so I don't get the Cube, or the "Plop" when you stick stuff on the Dashboard....

And on MY system the Genie is sort of blocky and slow, and yes I changed it to Suck, which helped, and yes the 3D stuff is worse and requires much more power but you HAVE TO ADMIT:

that would be SO FUN to show off...

"OO! Look what my OS can do!"

"w00t. I, a n00b, bow before you..."

Although you guys may have a point that OSX can do it better with QE....

Yeah, it's true what Kickaha says about Genie effect (although the press Shift to slow it down thing is pretty show-offy )

On a side note, and not to derail the thread, I don't have 'Plop" effect either?? I had been under the impression that that was shown at the preview of Tiger but not in the final version. Or is that something that is turned on somewhere? (Maybe they got rid of it because it didn't really serve any purpose?)
  • Reply 15 of 78
    Quote:

And on MY system the Genie is sort of blocky and slow, and yes I changed it to Suck, which helped, and yes the 3D stuff is worse and requires much more power...

I think you have been drooling over the prospect of using a faster computer as much as anything Vista could do.

Seriously, I'll be quite surprised if Apple doesn't have some spectacular cards up its sleeve for Leopard. A number of the UI elements in OS X are five years old now, and they've been preparing for Vista for some time.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by meelash

Yeah, it's true what Kickaha says about Genie effect (although the press Shift to slow it down thing is pretty show-offy )

On a side note, and not to derail the thread, I don't have 'Plop" effect either?? I had been under the impression that that was shown at the preview of Tiger but not in the final version. Or is that something that is turned on somewhere? (Maybe they got rid of it because it didn't really serve any purpose?)

hmm... looks like I don't have the required graphics card. Well, that's something to look forward to when I buy my new iMac. (I do have the cube transition, though?)
  • Reply 17 of 78
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Originally posted by meelash

, they have system wide speech recognition!

yeah, they *almost* have it

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...221217782777472
  • Reply 18 of 78
    IGGA.

Hobbes, you are right....

I need (NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED) a macbook, but being a student, I cannot of course, afford one.

Oh well....

Vista is neat, but somehow it just has that "Windoze" feel when you're using it. That clunky, mish-mash feel. Whereas OSX just "feels" slicker and more like a finished product. I can't really explain this any better... Do you guys know what I mean?

Yeah I can't WAIT to see what Apple will do with the new Power Mac. Core 2 Extreme is the BEST processor EVER made!!!
  • Reply 19 of 78
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Dude, do yourself a favor work at walmart on the weekend for a few weekends and buy yourself a macbook.

I bet Vista is going to have a massive amount of problems. Sort of like XP did for...years. Or 95. Or 98. Haha, or ME.
  • Reply 20 of 78
    Quote:

I must say, Vista (while a complete ripoff of OSX...) is by FAR the hugest and best Windows update since Win95. It has even ME drooling over PCs for the first time in YEARS.

Anybody have any thoughts on Vista vs Leopard? Vista's resolution independence is NICE.. And it is WAY good-looking (for Windows) even compared to OSX. Plus getting a Vista system is much cheaper than buying a new Mac...

Quote:

IGGA.

Hobbes, you are right....

I need (NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED) a macbook, but being a student, I cannot of course, afford one.

Oh well....

Vista is neat, but somehow it just has that "Windoze" feel when you're using it. That clunky, mish-mash feel. Whereas OSX just "feels" slicker and more like a finished product. I can't really explain this any better... Do you guys know what I mean?

Yeah I can't WAIT to see what Apple will do with the new Power Mac. Core 2 Extreme is the BEST processor EVER made!!!

It all comes in a full circle...

This thread kinda reminds me of those Mormon pamphlets you get outside of the grocery store.