Vista vs Leopard

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    turnwriteturnwrite Posts: 372member
    Well no when I say student I mean I'm thirteen.

So I can't just "work at Wal-mart." If I could I would, believe me.

Yup Windows ALWAYS has problems. Just thirty seconds ago someone in the pooter lab with me here got a Blue Screen of Death. Case in point.
  • Reply 22 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by turnwrite

Yup Windows ALWAYS has problems. Just thirty seconds ago someone in the pooter lab with me here got a Blue Screen of Death. Case in point.

You could ask mom to buy you one for christmas, then?
  • Reply 23 of 78
    Actually, I tried that...

I've been BEGGING "mom" to buy me one since the DAY they came out but she just says "well you already have a laptop, dear......."

Ugh.

I have one, but it is CRAP!!!
  • Reply 24 of 78
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Oh my, I just saw the kind of computer you like too look at on the other thread and now just read that you actually LIKE how vista looks

I think you will develop your sense of style further in these coming years, I mean, you really can only go up from here
  • Reply 25 of 78
    Well dutch pear, I'm just saying it's true that Vista looks cool, and so does the Alienware Sentia.

However, the reason I'm HERE is cuz I'm a mac user.

Macbooks are cooler than Alienware notebooks (If I only HAD one..... Grr....) and OSX is WAY cooler than Vista.

But I must commend Microsoft on one MAJORLY well done ripoff.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    A great while back, Apple told MS to start their copiers. This began the setting of one of the biggest bear traps ever.

MS will be using a 5 year old Apple GUI in Vista while Apple moves on in Leopard. And adding to the insult, MS won't even deliver half of their pillars of Vista.

Gates is getting out just in time.

PS. Get a faster mac. That drool for Vista will dry right up.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Actually, the Genie Effect *does* have a practical reason - it shows the user precisely where the window is going. That's highly useful for keeping user's from panicking when their window disappears.

You nailed it. I just can't remember *any* so called eye candy

UI finish in MacOs, that has no compelling practical reason, too.

Now to a completely random collection of fine UI effects, which have a strong

function in daily usage, too:

1. genie --> tells you, where the file is gone

2. opening a doc (accompanied with briefly displaying the associated

icon of the app) --> tells you which app is going to be involved

3. magnifying dock items --> tells you, which item is going to be used,

IF you click right now.

4. FUS cube effect --> tells you, that another user is now active,

but the former user is still active, just somewhere on the other

side (of the system, if you don't mind)

5. Exposé (all kind of) --> well, ...i refuse to illustrate again, dude.

6. slow motion genie --> tells you, where the file is gone slowly.

Which has a practical reason too, say, enjoy the beauty of Exposé

This is just off top of my head, feel free to add some more...
  • Reply 28 of 78
    Well you guys look at the screenshots of Leopard here, some very interesting ideas (not to mention good photoshopping...)

http://phillryu.com/2006/07/26/fake-...he-real-thing/

I really like this idea of a new Finder based more on Spotlight than on folders.

I think Leopard needs some new feature that no one has really thought about too, though. Like Panther had Expose, Tiger had Dashboard, and I wonder what Leopard will bring?
  • Reply 29 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite

Macs rock, we all know it, that's why we're here.

But I must say, Vista (while a complete ripoff of OSX...) is by FAR the hugest and best Windows update since Win95. It has even ME drooling over PCs for the first time in YEARS.

Anybody have any thoughts on Vista vs Leopard? Vista's resolution independence is NICE.. And it is WAY good-looking (for Windows) even compared to OSX. Plus getting a Vista system is much cheaper than buying a new Mac...

Here are some articles on Vista's features:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_vista

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...s/default.mspx

I have to agree with you. What's with the "sidebar" and "gadgets"? They didn't even try to think up a good name to disguise the fact that it's a complete copy of dashboard. The "3D flip" or whatever it's called is basically expose except with a dumb microsoft touch.
  • Reply 30 of 78
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    I have:

A MacBook

An Intel 20" Core Duo iMac

A 3.06HT PC with 2GB of Ram, an ATI 9800 AIW and a Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS with a Gateway 20" Widescreen Monitor.

I have OS X 10.4.7

I have Windows Vista Beta 2.

There is no comparison - what you're referring to as a "majorly well done rip off" is a poorly hacked together jumble of UI bits, poorly thought out concepts and "me too!" features.

Flip3D aliases - badly. It's got the worst case of the jaggies since the first Playstation.

The "Gadgets" are slow running, processor gobbling also-rans.

I've looked high and low for a Journaled, quick finding WinFS file system, but there's nary one to be found.

In the control panel there are no less than 5 seperate UI schemes - some of them dating back to Windows 9X (and you thought it was horrible to find a little pinstriping in an app now and again).

You can see that there's been a mighty effort put forth - however, it's a set of individual miniscule efforts that add up, instead of a unified group working towards a goal; quite simply put: The Microsoft desire to be Everything to Everyone has been so detrimental to the development of Vista that this may be the first outright failure of a Windows system since 2.0.

Drool all you want; a prize pig is still a pig.
  • Reply 31 of 78
    Quote:

Wal-Mart is the root of all EVIL!!!!!!
  • Reply 32 of 78
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Personally I don't think Vista catches Tiger let alone Leopard. Leopard is in a whole new class that Vista wont even compare to. As I said. Tiger already has almost every one of the features that are not currently present in windows. MS is just now barely catching the OS we are about to leave. Talk about being late to party. They freaking missed it. I'm sure windows users that know nothing about Mac OS will think it's all gravy, but it's really like moldy gravy.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

I'm sure windows users that know nothing about Mac OS will think it's all gravy, but it's really like moldy gravy.

Such a Wonderful line!
  • Reply 34 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

Personally I don't think Vista catches Tiger let alone Leopard. Leopard is in a whole new class that Vista wont even compare to. As I said. Tiger already has almost every one of the features that are not currently present in windows. MS is just now barely catching the OS we are about to leave. Talk about being late to party. They freaking missed it. I'm sure windows users that know nothing about Mac OS will think it's all gravy, but it's really like moldy gravy.

Crust and moldy...

Hey that could be a theme.....
  • Reply 35 of 78
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    All bets are off until Vista actually ships. Sure, they haven't announced a delay in 3 months or so, but I'm not holding my breath. There are poeple in Vista development at Microsoft that are very skeptical about the current ship date, and even some curmudgeons who don't think it'll EVER ship.

I'll bet 30 sand dollars that OS X 10.5 beats it to market by 3-6 months.
  • Reply 36 of 78
    I don't know about 3-6 months. But Leopard will beat the consumer edition to market. MS has to ship something to a bunch of companies they have SA contracts with this year. They made contracts for support and upgrades from like 2003 to 2006 that included a boost to MS SQL, something else, and Vista. So they HAVE to ship something to those companies by Close of Business Dec. 29th (31st is a Sunday) Which means they'll claim Vista launched in November, regardless of when it's on shelves.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Blah, blah, blah?Vista?

Blah, blah, blah?Vista?

Blah, blah, blah?Vista

Blah, blah, blah?Vista?

Hey jackass, notice the name of this site??!?

It's AppleInsider, not VistaInsider, so keep moving?

For the rest of the faithful, the day is close at hand when our fearless leader will step to the pulpit and bath us all in the warming bath of the RDF, delivering the prophecies of the year to come for the true believers of the Power of the Mac Way?!
  • Reply 38 of 78
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

For the rest of the faithful, the day is close at hand when our fearless leader will step to the pulpit and bath us all in the warming bath of the RDF, delivering the prophecies of the year to come for the true believers of the Power of the Mac Way…!

Quote:

Hey jackass

Somehow, it fits...
  • Reply 39 of 78
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Clean

Somehow, it fits...

What you talking about Willis…?

The first two lines of my post were truth, since this is indeed a Mac-centric site, so why would we even want to entertain a discourse comparing Vista with Leopard…?!?

The last 'cult member' portion was pure Temp. Insanity goodness…

Lighten up…

;^p
  • Reply 40 of 78

The EPA has declared this to be a Toxic Waste Thread (TWT), and has added it to to their NPL;

Toxicity

Conversion, software version 10.5,

Looking at life through the eyes of a tire hub,

Eating seeds as a past time activity,

The toxicity of our OS X, of our OS X,

New, what do you own the world?

How do you own disorder, disorder,

Now, somewhere between the sacred silence,

Sacred silence and sleep,

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep,

Disorder, disorder, disorder.

More wood for their fires, loud neighbors,