64bit Macbook ??

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tubgirl

is there a official statement on when intel will stop producing core duos?

No time soon.

I think what you meant is:

Who wants old-school 90 nm Netburst processors (Pentium), when it's all about 65 nm Core-based processors (Yonah and up). Intel are transitioning to 65 nm as quickly as possible, but it's an expensive process.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RoamingGnome

I concur as well, if Dell, HP, Sony, and Gateway all have Core2Duos for a little over $1,000 Apple needs to compete.

Wrong. They don't compete in the same market space exactly, however, they do act as a legit Mac+Windows alternative to the majority computer owner's crashy and virusy PC.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Choices, choices. Personally I'm hoping they make the right choice and sell millions an miliions of OSX laptops (cough. I mean notebooks..!)

Seems like the price of low end Merom is even less than the starting point of Yonah. Starting point Merom is apparently (correct me please if I'm wrong here)

2MB L2 Core 2 Duos. The 1.66GHz T5500 and the 1.8GHz T5600 are priced at $209 and $241.

Wasn't the old Yonah at $259 or there abouts at 1.66GHz (in Jan/Feb), Solo at $241.?

These cheapo 2MB cache Meroms are ideal for Macbook and really too cheap (?) to put in MBP ..No?

MBP chips should go for 4MB cache and 2GHz T7200 at $294, the 2.16GHz T7400 at $423 and BTO 2.33GHz T7600 at $637.

OK Prediction time.. it's tricky one as if Stevo annonces Merom and they not there yet nobody buys Yonah. Nobody knows how they are gonna play it!

However for the cute idea to keep with yonah ofr cut-price - maybe Intel will not play..?

http://tinyurl.com/fasss

• Reply 24 of 38
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Intel are transitioning to 65 nm as quickly as possible, but it's an expensive process.

that's my point, why would intel use their 65nm capable fabs for low(er) margin yonahs and not core2 duos? (honest question.)
  • Reply 25 of 38
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tubgirl

why would intel use their 65nm capable fabs for low(er) margin yonahs and not core2 duos? (honest question.)

So vendors can offer sub $1000 notebook computers. It's a very important market for the Dells, HP, Gateway ect. of the pc world.

Why can't Apple compete here? Everyone lauded the Macbook when it arrived as being very powerful for the price. If Apple kept the same specs and lowered the price $100 or $200 would that all of a sudden make it a POS as some have suggested? I certainly don't think so.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghstmars

when was the last time Apple had a portable that cost about 700 to 800 bucks?? i dont remember

The 100 was about 1000, I believe. That was built by Sony.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    ghstmarsghstmars Posts: 140member
    calculating rate of inflation... mmmm.... what are we looking at in todays money?
  • Reply 28 of 38
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

The 100 was about 1000, I believe.

Nice try. ($2500)
  • Reply 29 of 38
    ghstmarsghstmars Posts: 140member
    hopefully we do get a macbook with core duo at about 700 or 800 bucks, but the point i am trying to make is that, if other oem come out with a portable using core2duo at these prices appple is gonna have to compete with something similar in that bracket.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    apple needs to lower the Mini and keep most other price point the same. but to get away with this they have to up the specs. keep macbook and mini on yonah and core 2 duo the rest in the consumer line
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Nice try. ($2500)

I don't think so, since I had 2 of them....

I am no big fan of Wikipedia, but the links inthis entry are interesting: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerBook

Compare that with the Apple Museum's treatment:

http://applemuseum.bott.org/sections...ers/pb100.html

Clearly, I did not buy mine at the $2500 initial offering, but I did get one officially from a U.S. apple dealer and the other in Japan, from the main distributor there at the time. I am making no great claims on it, not like "Greatest gadget of all time," but as a 'cheap' Mac that could be carried about, even with the heavy battery and the floppy drive, it was a very important move toward my laptop life. It also could be used as a SCSI target disk, then nearly unique! REMEMBER, we're talking way back in the 20th Century, October 1991.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Mini $499 - $ 699

iMac Ed. $699 - $999

iMac $1199 - $1499

Sorry. I was bored.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

Clearly, I did not buy mine at the $2500 initial offering, but I did get one officially from a U.S. apple dealer and the other in Japan, from the main distributor there at the time.

So? The original price was still $2500. You wouldn't say the Apple Lisa was free to pick up in Nevada wasteland either just because Apple dumped them there once they had lost too much value, would you.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    The Core 2 series will be the first time that Apple has had to respond to new Intel chips in competition with other OEMs. It's going to be very interesting to see if they respond on pricing and/or upgrading the bottom end of the lines.

I can see Apple leaving the MB alone right now as they are in their back-to-school rush. They are even giving away (via rebates) iPods with MBs for the students heading to college. No way are they going to change that at the MB level. Depending on supplies and pricing the MB can be upgraded for the Christmas buying season, or at MWSF.

THe MBP might be different, but with an announcement at the Paris show, if not WWDC. I believe that Apple is going to want to keep this line in vigorous competition with Dell & Gang and that means upgrading it as soon as the competition does.

What ever Apple does with the move to Core 2 will be a good indication as to how aggressive they will be in responding to other new Intel chips over the next few years, making it one of the most interesting situations to watch for Mac lovers.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OfficerDigby

2MB L2 Core 2 Duos. The 1.66GHz T5500 and the 1.8GHz T5600 are priced at $209 and $241.

Wasn't the old Yonah at $259 or there abouts at 1.66GHz (in Jan/Feb), Solo at $241.?

These cheapo 2MB cache Meroms are ideal for Macbook and really too cheap (?) to put in MBP ..No?

MBP chips should go for 4MB cache and 2GHz T7200 at $294, the 2.16GHz T7400 at $423 and BTO 2.33GHz T7600 at $637.

http://tinyurl.com/fasss

Based on performance of Merom vs. Yonah, I don't think you'll see these Merom chips in the macbook. Maybe the 1.8 ghz but with the lower cache it may not be as fast as the 2.0 ghz yonah. The 1.6 ghz will definately be slower than what already comes in current Macbooks. See link below for Merom vs. Yonah runoff.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...px?i=2808&p=17
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Based on performance of Merom vs. Yonah, I don't think you'll see these Merom chips in the macbook. Maybe the 1.8 ghz but with the lower cache it may not be as fast as the 2.0 ghz yonah. The 1.6 ghz will definately be slower than what already comes in current Macbooks. See link below for Merom vs. Yonah runoff.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...px?i=2808&p=17

I'm totally in agreement on this one. I mean cmon!
  • Reply 37 of 38
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    UH Isn't the core duo already 64 bit?

Here's an article called

Intel Core Duo is a 64-bit chip

Yes, that Core Duo you have right now is a 64-bit chip. Intel openly admits that its Sossaman chips are 64-bit, but does not mention this fact about its consumer-targetted Yonah chips, despite the fact that the two are one in the same.

There you have it

What was your question? Did you have one?

Blech.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus

The Core 2 series will be the first time that Apple has had to respond to new Intel chips in competition with other OEMs. It's going to be very interesting to see if they respond on pricing and/or upgrading the bottom end of the lines.

I can see Apple leaving the MB alone right now as they are in their back-to-school rush. They are even giving away (via rebates) iPods with MBs for the students heading to college. No way are they going to change that at the MB level. Depending on supplies and pricing the MB can be upgraded for the Christmas buying season, or at MWSF.

THe MBP might be different, but with an announcement at the Paris show, if not WWDC. I believe that Apple is going to want to keep this line in vigorous competition with Dell & Gang and that means upgrading it as soon as the competition does.

What ever Apple does with the move to Core 2 will be a good indication as to how aggressive they will be in responding to other new Intel chips over the next few years, making it one of the most interesting situations to watch for Mac lovers.

This is one of the most logical, market-oriented posts I've read in months. Congratulations! Clearly everyone wants everything new now, but there could be reasons for not upgrading everythng at this time. I, for one, am concerned, though, because with the G5 at the top of the line under-desk Apple has already missed the new budget year first orders (usually July) for the fall-- unless, like me, they've been able to cajole their IT guys into waiting just one more week. That ends tomorrow!