Superman Returns....Opinions?...No spoilers...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    turnwriteturnwrite Posts: 372member
    Superman Returns was pretty good.

But the best part of that movie was during the previews, when it had a teaser for Spider-Man 3. The entire group I went with stood up and applauded after that trailer.

For those who missed it, here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_p...ider-man_3/hd/

LOVE those movies, and this looks to be the best yet.

(And btw, Pirates SUCKED. AWFULLY. HORRIBLY. It needs to go dig a HOLE. a BIG hole. And HIDE. HIDE for a long, LONG time......)
  • Reply 22 of 35
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by turnwrite

But the best part of that movie was during the previews, when it had a teaser for Spider-Man 3. The entire group I went with stood up and applauded after that trailer.

Cool. I see you like hanging out with Nerds.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Heh. Just saw the Spiderman3 trailer. It's like it's Spiderman vs Venom..! But he is Venom himself. Whoa Interestingly, that's how Venom started - first with Spiderman suit becoming the Venom suit... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venom_%28comics%29

Here's a short blurb in Wikipedia about the movie, may be old news now but anyway:

"Spider-Man 3 (2007)

Promotional images for Spider-Man 3 have confirmed that Spider-Man will have the black symbiote costume in this film. Topher Grace has also been confirmed as Eddie Brock. Sony has confirmed that Venom will appear in this film as the company has released a wallpaper of Eddie Brock transforming into Venom. A special trailer, shown at Comic Con 2006, ended with the first fully CGI rendered Venom dropping onto all fours before the camera zooms in on his gaping mouth. Testimony from those who viewed this say that Venom was exactly like he was in the comics: a large, slobbering creature with his tongue and trademark toothy grin. He has been described as mostly resembling McFarlane's Venom."
  • Reply 24 of 35
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Outsider

I wasn't so disappinted since I don't watch Smallville 90210 either. It is what it is; a Superman movie.

Heh, I agree, without referring to Smallville in too derogatory a way
  • Reply 25 of 35
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by danielctull

...BUT I don't wanna see a plane shoot to the ground when it's in low to zero gravity.

Orbital decay Except that it occurs within a few minutes and the de-orbit occurs really really fast too. If we were on the real life Space Shuttle timeline of returning to earth, that sequence would be 1 hour long. (Note: the above is not generally considered a spoiler, though you'll say "Oh, that's WTF they were talkin' about" when you see the movie.)
  • Reply 26 of 35
    I wonder if they'll make a Batman Begins sequel. (Batman.... Comes Back?) That movie was INCREDIBLE.

I think that with the Superman thing, what happened was they did a really good job of just a bad idea. The movie was DONE really well, but Superman is just a dumb idea. I mean, it is IMPOSSIBLE for him to ever LOSE. He's just too powerful. And the Super-Breath scene was rather... erm... ODD.

I looked all over online for that Spider-man 3 trailer you were talking about, sunilraman, but it seems all the copies of it have been removed from sites, due to "copyright infringement." Ugh. Stupid LAWS.

And yes, nerd friends are just so FUN....
  • Reply 27 of 35

I wonder if they'll make a Batman Begins sequel. (Batman.... Comes Back?)

Interesting. Where would he have dissapeared to? To "find himself" again after getting his ass majorly kicked by some bad guy and losing a loved one? Maybe Alfred the butler also dies and Bruce Wayne's all torn up, sells the mansion and gets rid of the BatCave and BatMobile. Upon returning, comes back more badass, sets up new BatCave, no more mansion... BatCave is deep underground WayneTower in the city or something - kinda like Fantastic Four's "underground skyscraper" - that was cool. BatMobile is kinda a BMW 5-series with a killer bodykit and alloys. At night it converts to a real badass, but still BMW-recognisable BatMobile And you gotta have some Bat-Bullet Time happening in "Batman Reborn"....!

I looked all over online for that Spider-man 3 trailer you were talking about...

This was the trailer I saw

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_p.../spider-man_3/
  • Reply 28 of 35
    rara Posts: 623member
    Quote:

Originally posted by turnwrite

I wonder if they'll make a Batman Begins sequel. (Batman.... Comes Back?) That movie was INCREDIBLE.

It's called The Dark Knight and Heath Ledger plays the Joker.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra

It's called The Dark Knight and Heath Ledger plays the Joker.

Any idea if this is a remake of the 1989 Batman movie or is it that the Joker somehow comes back (to life?) and it's a brand new story? I couldn't tell from the description.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Batman Begins started a whole new story. The Dark Knight is a sequel.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ra

Batman Begins started a whole new story. The Dark Knight is a sequel.

Yeah, I know Batman Begins is a whole new story, but the Joker supposedly died in the 1989 Batman. So I guess the Joker has come back to life for this sequel???
  • Reply 32 of 35
    *shakes head*

*ahem* Batman Begins started a whole new story.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Well I just saw Superman last night. The short version is I thought it was excellent. In particular:

Routh was superb. There were times I liked him better than Reeve.

The visual effects were generally very good. There were a few scenes of the new continent's destruction that I thought looked, well, fake. The flying scenes were extremely well done, and the airplane scene was perhaps the best in the film.

I even liked Kate Bosworth. It seemed to me that she made no attempt to compete with Kidder's take on the role. In constrast, Routh went for a Reeve-like performance. Both approaches worked in my opinion.

The film was intense from an emotional standpoint. I found I was engrossed in it, which is something that happens less and less for me over the years. A few nights before I saw Pirates II, and while it was decent, I definitely had that "I'm just watching a movie" feeling that another poster alluded to above.

Now, there were some things I didn't like:

Small effects problems (one scene with the seaplane looked like it was scaled incorrectly)

I really wasn't thrilled with Kevin Spacey. He was good, but not at his best. I found him too reserved.

There wasn't enough character development for Parker Posey. I wanted to see her do something more dramatic in reaction to Luthor's attempt to kill superman and in reaction to his plot.

Overall, I'd give it 3.5 out of 4 stars. By comparison, I'd give Pirates 2.5. That's just a comparison of how I rate movies personally, not a comparison of the films themselves.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ra

*shakes head*

*ahem* Batman Begins started a whole new story.

Let me give it a shot, Ra...

dac0nvu, the new movies have nothing to do with the old ones. They're not prequels or sequels to the Tim Burton/Joel Schumacher movies, they are a *complete do over*. They're starting from scratch. Batman Begins was the start of an entirely new set of movies with a new continuity. Forget everything you saw in the earlier movies, as far as the new ones are concerned, none of it happened.

And that's a good thing.

On topic: Saw SR a couple weeks ago, I liked it overall much more than I expected I would. Agreed that Posey and Spacey were underutilized. I really didn't ever get Bosworth though - she didn't draw me in to the character in the least. *shrug*
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001

Well I just saw Superman last night. The short version is I thought it was excellent. In particular:

Routh was superb. There were times I liked him better than Reeve.

The visual effects were generally very good. There were a few scenes of the new continent's destruction that I thought looked, well, fake. The flying scenes were extremely well done, and the airplane scene was perhaps the best in the film.

I even liked Kate Bosworth. It seemed to me that she made no attempt to compete with Kidder's take on the role. In constrast, Routh went for a Reeve-like performance. Both approaches worked in my opinion.

The film was intense from an emotional standpoint. I found I was engrossed in it, which is something that happens less and less for me over the years. A few nights before I saw Pirates II, and while it was decent, I definitely had that "I'm just watching a movie" feeling that another poster alluded to above.

Now, there were some things I didn't like:

Small effects problems (one scene with the seaplane looked like it was scaled incorrectly)

I really wasn't thrilled with Kevin Spacey. He was good, but not at his best. I found him too reserved.

There wasn't enough character development for Parker Posey. I wanted to see her do something more dramatic in reaction to Luthor's attempt to kill superman and in reaction to his plot.

Overall, I'd give it 3.5 out of 4 stars. By comparison, I'd give Pirates 2.5. That's just a comparison of how I rate movies personally, not a comparison of the films themselves.

I like the emotion of the movie and Kate Bosworth was interesting definitely. Routh was channeling the late Reeves very well, and flying scenes were nice, especially whenever Superman has to go above the earth (both to chill a bit and also to soak up energy from the sun).

I thought most effects were very decent, but I did not really like the air/shuttle sequence, except for the later parts of it.

Kevin Spacey was alright, overall I was mostly enthralled by the HOW THE HELL does Superman decide who and what and where to save? "I hear everything" he says....

Also, it has IMHO *romance* in a superhero story that kinda works.

Oh, it was kinda nostalgic, from the title sequence to the shirt-ripping part. Brings back some vague memories of when I was a little kid and went and saw Superman with my parents.

And yeah I don't watch Smallville 90210 as I mentioned previously, I think.

BTW Pirates was a theme-ride style thingo. Not sure what they were doing with the plot. It was a swashbuckling, adventure, like-you're-there kind of visual theme ride. Don't expect too much and you'll enjoy it.