Core Duo vs Core 2 Duo benchmarks?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does anyone know of any benchmarks comparing the Core Duo to the Core 2 Duo?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by erbium

Does anyone know of any benchmarks comparing the Core Duo to the Core 2 Duo?

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?type=expert&aid=276
  • Reply 2 of 13
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?type=expert&aid=276

That's great! Thanks

I figured there would be more out there, but I guess the Core Duo is only really a laptop chip, and probably wouldn't be compared in the PC world to any of the desktop Core 2 Duo's.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
  • Reply 4 of 13
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Not very impressive. 12% improvement but it was a 2.3ghz Merom vs a 2.16 ghz Yonah. Test was a limited set of apps. Would like to see a more thorough test to include games to see how much better Merom really is.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Not very impressive. 12% improvement but it was a 2.3ghz Merom vs a 2.16 ghz Yonah. Test was a limited set of apps. Would like to see a more thorough test to include games to see how much better Merom really is.

It probably was a fair test of the power consumption - which was promising!

But a totally meaningless test of the CPU speed. An anti-virus scan was part of the test (lol)!

C.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    Quote:

An anti-virus scan was part of the test (lol)!

There's something I won't be using my new mac for!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Rest assured, the Core 2 Duo spanks the Core Duo, the Core 2 is a new architecture, think of the Core Duo as a Intel Pentium M on steroids.

And damn overclockable too, a 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo will run at 2.7Ghz on stock cooling. 3Ghz plus on good air cooling and 4Ghz on watercooling.

WORD.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattyj

And damn overclockable too, a 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo will run at 2.7Ghz on stock cooling. 3Ghz plus on good air cooling and 4Ghz on watercooling.

Where did you get these numbers...?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Ok, 2.6Ghz E6300 (1.83Ghz stock), 2.94Ghz on crap motherboard on air cooling. If the cheaper Gigabyte DS3 mobo was used then a 500Mhz FSB could be used and would easily go over 3Ghz, to about 3.2Ghz

So yeh, currently the world record Conroe overclock stands at 5Ghz, but that was a LN2 overclock.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    See link below

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...px?i=2808&p=17

Not real impressive for Merom IMO. Wonder what others think.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    It is impressive. One has to remember how fast the Core Duos are in the first place, and how quickly the Merom has come out, think of it as an update not a new processor. The new processor is the desktop Conroe, designed to replace the Pentium 4.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattyj

It is impressive. One has to remember how fast the Core Duos are in the first place, and how quickly the Merom has come out, think of it as an update not a new processor. The new processor is the desktop Conroe, designed to replace the Pentium 4.

Well I'm looking at it from a different perspective. I've been waiting to buy a MBP with Merom instead of the current MBPs with Yonah. It doesn't appear that Merom will be that big of an improvement. I was hoping that Merom would be more than the Intel predicted 20% faster. Conroe was supposed to be 40% faster than Pent d and actually is really about 2x faster. I guess my expectations were a bit unrealistic. I'll still probably wind up getting a MBP.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    yea to all the above, but battery life........battery life........battery life that is my number 2 concern (getting a mac to run my work program is #1) so maybe i should look at a lower clock speed to improve battery life. my wife's ibookg4 has 4.5hrs of life, my dell has about 2.5 hrs. how then to optimize battery life, any experience with mb vs mbp????