Which browser do you use?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm sick of switching back and forth on browsers, and need to get talked into using just one. Which one do you guys use and why do you use it over the others?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I've tried them all, and I prefer Safari.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

I've tried them all, and I prefer Safari.

Why though?
  • Reply 3 of 43
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    I use Safari too. I don't really have a reason other than it's what came with my MacBook and it's an Apple program. I wanted to try all the Apple programs before I downloaded a replacement. Safari has served my purposes well enough. I ditched iChat, however, for Adium. That's just my two cents.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Using multiple browsers just seems to be a fact of life. I use Safari and Firefox.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Just firefox for me. Why?

1. Cross platform, as I have to use windows at work.

2. Great bookmarks synching across computers with google browser synch extension

3. All the other great extensions: adblock, sage, you name it, there is an extension for it.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Safari.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    My fiancee switched to Camino and I switched to Firefox 2. Safari is just too slow, and I can't believe it's been years and they still haven't added HISTORY and a DOWNLOAD manager. I mean real ones. Not fake ones. IE 5 has better ones. That makes me want to cry. On the inside at least. Safari has really languished. They should open source the thing. I mean why not!? Plus Firefox has lots and lots of cool shit to add to it. I like the Weather, AdBlock, and FasterFox extensions. I just wish it didn't feel so PC-like but I guess that's the unfortunate side of being cross-platform. I want to like Safari. I want to keep using it. But I can't. It just sucks. Try adding 40 hell even 20 or 30 bookmarks to the Bookmarks menu and click it. I hate it when I accidentally click that menu. And without Saft, I can't imagine how annoying it would be to use Safari. Ugh, and Metal too! Ew!
  • Reply 8 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

My fiancee switched to Camino and I switched to Firefox 2. Safari is just too slow.

I have Firefox installed, I opened both Safari and Firefox, I tested various websites while using exposé to see both progress bars in both browsers at the same time etc. I also made a point of loading the firefox URL's first, then Safari. Overall Safari won the speed tests actually, and I tested about 30 sites. That and Safari launches about 3X Firefox. Also things like, being able to drag a URL straight into the Bookmarks bar to add as bookmark. I prefer Safari hands down over Firefox.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I use Safari on the mac, Firefox on Windows and Linux. Safari runs very fast on the mac -- the actual stats have Safari well outpacing Camino and Firefox. It also has (in my opinion) the nicest way to manage bookmarks, although Firefox is pretty similar.

Now that Safari can view PDFs inline, there's really no reason for me to use anything else on the mac. I view A LOT of pdfs. . . literally hundreds of pages of technical documentation every day. The mac is so good at viewing PDFs, and I just wish that all my engineering apps would run on Mac. Some run on Linux (Allegro, Xilinx ISE), but I've never tried X11. My mac at home is a PPC, so I'm not that confident it would work.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i prefer firefox, but i like safari mostly it syncs with .mac, now for my wife she says safari is slow with ebay, and firefox is better but not as fast as my old dell. someone said that ebay uses a lot of java and it's slower on my .9 ibook g4

my 4 year old likes firefox because everything from pbskids, noggin works well. the thing about firefox you have to load the plugins.

really anything but MS

the neat thing about firefox you can change the look, get gmail notifiers, change themes and add different engines.

you can get a program that turns safari bookmarks to firefox and vice versa i quess you can look to versiontracker

i've had most trouble with ebay for the above reasons, firefox works better than safari (on a .9ibook g4)
  • Reply 11 of 43
    OmniWeb 5.5 beta2 - fastest browser I've used, love the site specific preferences.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Now that Safari can view PDFs inline, there's really no reason for me to use anything else on the mac. I view A LOT of pdfs. . . literally hundreds of pages of technical documentation every day. The mac is so good at viewing PDFs, and I just wish that all my engineering apps would run on Mac. Some run on Linux (Allegro, Xilinx ISE), but I've never tried X11. My mac at home is a PPC, so I'm not that confident it would work.

Hundreds of tech docs? You engineers are nuts. We have some here at the energy commission that do the same thing. Never really talked to them though. What kind of specs do you look at? I find that stuff interesting, the problem is I'm totally clueless when it comes to that kind of stuff.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood

Hundreds of tech docs? You engineers are nuts. We have some here at the energy commission that do the same thing. Never really talked to them though. What kind of specs do you look at? I find that stuff interesting, the problem is I'm totally clueless when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Hundreds of pages. . .

Sometimes, it's a spec. Recently I've familiarized myself with the I2C and USB specs. USB is 650 pages long and incredibly confusing. It's no wonder why it took a while to catch on. Most of the time, though, I'm looking at device datasheets. If you poke around ti.com, for example, you should be able to pull up some datasheets for various products. There are a lot of electronics parts out there made by a lot of different companies, and they all are accompanied by a handful of PDF documents each.

Currently I'm trying to determine how best to interface a TI TL16C754B with an Atmel AT91SAM9621.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I can't believe it's been years and they still haven't added HISTORY and a DOWNLOAD manager. I mean real ones. Not fake ones.

What the heck does that mean?
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Firefox, because it has the TIDY extension.

Otherwise, I'd use Camino.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    used them all and ended up pretty much only on Camino. Seems to do everything pretty well and for some unknown reason i like it over safari. I tried to switch back to safari out of boredom, but i couldn't last more than 2 hours, so i'm back to camino.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Omniweb here as well, Omniweb 5.5 that is. Quite often, when sites don't work, all you have to do is switch the user agent to, say, firefox or windows IE6, and it all works fine. OW 5.5 allows you to change and store that preference per site. You can do this in Safari as well, btw, either manually when you have the 'debug' menu enabled, or automatically when you have Safaristand installed.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    I use Safari, because it does what I want and it fits with the rest of the OS. It also renders pages more accurately than Firefox. Recently, a friend and I outlined a new site and some features didn't work in Safari but did in Firefox, because of a few sloppy bits we didn't fully envision.

Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

The mac is so good at viewing PDFs, and I just wish that all my engineering apps would run on Mac. Some run on Linux (Allegro, Xilinx ISE), but I've never tried X11. My mac at home is a PPC, so I'm not that confident it would work.

Darwin Ports shows that Allegro is available for the Mac. I've used Darwin Ports to install all the programs that my uni course needs (CLISP, swi-prolog) plus use it to keep my latex installation up to date.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

I use Safari, because it does what I want and it fits with the rest of the OS. It also renders pages more accurately than Firefox. Recently, a friend and I outlined a new site and some features didn't work in Safari but did in Firefox, because of a few sloppy bits we didn't fully envision.

Darwin Ports shows that Allegro is available for the Mac. I've used Darwin Ports to install all the programs that my uni course needs (CLISP, swi-prolog) plus use it to keep my latex installation up to date.

Thanks for the link. . . It's a good one. I use a lot of GNU and posix apps, so this is a good find.

But the Allegro I'm talking about is somewhat different.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I jump back and forth between Safari and Firefox... Safari because it looks nicest and "feels" good. It's certainly not the fastest by any means and I miss Adblock and other wonderful Firefox extensions, but it's still my default browser.

Firefox because I'm a multi-platform guy spending equal time on OS X, Windows, and Linux. Secondly would be the extensions. My default Firefox install usually has 10+ extensions installed adding great functionality with seemingly minimal performance impact.

I tried OmniWeb over the weekend and it sure was fast. Too bad it doesn't work with Gmail (huh? this is 2006, not 1999. Javascript should just work. Period) and had some rendering/UI issues with my other regular sites. I'd be inclined to spend the money on OmniWeb if it worked at least as well as Safari but added performance and a few more features.