Dangerous keyboard layout

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Has anyone noticed that if you press the numlock key it will delete ALL the text in the textbox and there's no way to get it back?! As the numlock key is right next to the backspace key this is a bit dangerous, is there anyway to stop it?

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Uhh, where are you seeing this behavior?

None of my apps are clearing text with that key.

Besides, the num lock key doubles as that "clear" key also.
  • Reply 1 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    nevermind. Brad beat me to it.

[ 09-16-2002: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 9
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Yeah, this happens to me while I'm typing in dialog boxes in IE 5.2 like I am right now. It really sucks to type out a ten paragraph response and then hit the num lock/ clear key and all your text is gone. There really ought to be an undo, but there isn't.

And, if I remember correctly, on the small keyboards (remember, those that came with the puck mice?) that key also doubles as the del key in some applications. It really sucks to have just been working in Word and use that key expecting a forward delete.

It's not a problem on my new extended keyboard, though, as I don't really accidentilly hit it.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by bauman:

<strong>Yeah, this happens to me while I'm typing in dialog boxes in IE 5.2 like I am right now.</strong><hr></blockquote>Well, this sounds like a problem specific to just Internet Explorer then. I went through at least a dozen different apps trying out the numlock/clear key in various text fields in each app and every time it did nothing at all. Nada. That is, it did nothing except light up the little green LED under the key on the keyboard.

Ah, Microsoft...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Andrew Xt:

<strong>Has anyone noticed that if you press the numlock key it will delete ALL the text in the textbox and there's no way to get it back?! As the numlock key is right next to the backspace key this is a bit dangerous, is there anyway to stop it?

Andrew</strong><hr></blockquote>

if you hit ESC after it clears the text box it should restore the original text

hope it helps
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    why are you hitting the number lock? this windows and it doesnt even do anything...why does apple even put it on?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Ditch IE. I've done the same thing in both Omniweb and IE, and the difference is that in OW, you can just hit Apple-Z and it undoes the delete. IE can't undo anything because it sucks.

Yet another reason not to use M$ products.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    It is definitely a problem. OS X 10.1.5 + IE 5.1.4 + the little iMac keyboard are what I have. Pressing the Clear key resets any field to the value preset in the web page source, with no undo. Bad MS. No dinner for you.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Yeah it's IE, good old microsoft. This is obviously a nice touch to make your mac more like a pc and their infamous dissapearing data problems. As soon as chimera has better flash and image support I'm making the switch.