baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    twice again just now!
  • Reply 22 of 66
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by mbaynham

alrite calm down!!

but seriously, it does happen less often now

Less often is not acceptable. It shouldn't happen period. Get it fixed.

Quote:

twice again just now!

You too.

I had a HD that made a clunking noise every so often and it would just freeze the system. It wouldn't happen much (once a week) so I let it go because I didn't want the hassle of taking it back plus I didn't want to look stupid if nothing was wrong.

I stuck with the flaw for nearly a month and near the end, I had found ways to get it to work. If I left my machine unplugged for about an hour, it worked again for a few days. As always, there came a day when eventually it was nearly impossible to use. I got an external FW drive and that drive worked fine.

I got the internal HD replaced within 3 days under warranty and I wondered to myself why I had put up with a month of frustration. Don't do the same thing.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

Less often is not acceptable. It shouldn't happen period. Get it fixed.

You too.

I had a HD that made a clunking noise every so often and it would just freeze the system. It wouldn't happen much (once a week) so I let it go because I didn't want the hassle of taking it back plus I didn't want to look stupid if nothing was wrong.

I stuck with the flaw for nearly a month and near the end, I had found ways to get it to work. If I left my machine unplugged for about an hour, it worked again for a few days. As always, there came a day when eventually it was nearly impossible to use. I got an external FW drive and that drive worked fine.

I got the internal HD replaced within 3 days under warranty and I wondered to myself why I had put up with a month of frustration. Don't do the same thing.

Exactly! You'll feel much better afterwards.

Haha, it's a funny coincidence that the two dudes with problems both have "bay" in their screennames. Not sure what the significance is.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    I'm still traveling but when I return home, I'll take it back to the store for repair/replacement. Other people are having the same proglem and talking about it in Apple's forums.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....44012&tstart=0
  • Reply 25 of 66
    Well here I am replying to this on my Dell which has been abused like crazy without ever failing as my MacBook sits in Memphis with the repair on hold awaiting parts. WTF?! After many many products and quite a few problems not to mention over $20K in Apple product purchases I am pretty much done. The MacBook let me down when I needed it the most. Ironically I was supposed to show it to my boss this past week so he could consider switching 1200 laptops to Macs. Needless to say he was not impressed. I have owned at least 7 Dells, 8 Thinkpads, and 7 Powerbooks, 2iBooks, and 1 MacBook. I have never had a warranty issue with a Dell or a Thinkpad but have had 3 Powerbook issues(2Displays and HD not to mention the battery recall), 1 iBook logic board replaced twice, and now the MacBook logic board. Hey Steve! Get it right! Oh and if I did have a problem Dell and IBM would send someone to me! This is really pathetic.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

Needless to say he was not impressed. I have owned at least 7 Dells, 8 Thinkpads, and 7 Powerbooks, 2iBooks, and 1 MacBook. I have never had a warranty issue with a Dell or a Thinkpad but have had 3 Powerbook issues(2Displays and HD not to mention the battery recall), 1 iBook logic board replaced twice, and now the MacBook logic board. Hey Steve! Get it right! Oh and if I did have a problem Dell and IBM would send someone to me! This is really pathetic.

That looks really bad on Apple's part. Hardware is hard to judge though because although I had an ibook logic board failure and a HD failure, the PCs in the office compared to the Macs seem to fail much more regularly. We are switching them all gradually to Macs.

It would have been nice if you had been able to convince your boss to get 1200 Macs. At least then we'd see if there were major issues with the machines.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Interesting thread. My old iBook had the motherboard replaced three times and still had problems. My old PB had the motherboard replaced twice and the issue was not resolved; they replaced the machine (which I suggested the first time as it was within three months of purchase) and it has worked fine for two years (except being able to heat large portions of Antarctica in winter). My original G5 dual 2.0 was DOA twice, then the replacements machine had its motherboard replaced three times (again I demanded a new machine each time to no avail) and was finally replaced, almost two years after purchase and many, many, many hours on the phone to AppleCare and weeks of computer downtime. The PCs at my old school and my new office all work perfectly and have so for many years; the only computers we have had that have failed have been Apples.

Apple really seems to have a serious problem wit this and it keeps recurring. Yes, there are lots of happy people out there, but there are some who really get punched by the rotten Apples and the defensive service.

Apple Japan finally sent me a good computer that has worked well for over a year, but not until I threatened to ask a customer protection group here to invesitigate whether Apple was knowingly selling defective machines and then refusing to service them (as a local reseller had suggested they were before refusing to sell Apple products). Even so, it took them two months to prepare the machine for me - two months without a computer that I spend nearly 3000 dollars for! The Dell at work held me over, and has never had a problem in five years.

Steve Jobs: you have the cash; use it to thoroughly check your machines before shipping them so that they actually "just work" like you advertise, and please provide better support.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    It?s still turning itself off.

Yesterday, I took it to my local Apple store and it shut off several times at the genius bar. The clerk ran Disk Utility on it; I assured him that was not the problem but that seemed to cure it long enough for them to get rid of me.

When I returned home it shut off again a few times. I took it back today and they are keeping it/sending it out for repair/replacement. Remember, this machine is just two months old. I should have a working Macbook delivered to my house in 7-10 days according to the clerk. Fair enough.

The clerk told me that there would be a $150 charge for backing up the data assuming I wanted it backed up. I told him that was ridiculous given that this machine is A) barely two months old and B) I would have backed it up myself but it won?t stay on long enough to do so. I declined the back up.

Now, I ask you, should any customer be charged a fee for work (including backing up data) on a two month old machine? This is my 5th Mac and 7th Apple product so it?s not like I?m an Apple basher, but charging for a backup in this circumstance is pretty shitty. If I were a switcher I?d go back to PCs following this experience.

Shame on you Apple.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    man that sucks. $150 for backing up data? rubbish, their just trying to make a bit on the side i reckon. they should have seen it turn itself off and replaced/fixed it straight away, not wait till you bring it in the next day. bloody ell, what has apple become?
  • Reply 30 of 66
    lcsedslcseds Posts: 14member
    Nobody on the PC side will back your stuff up without charging you either. This is not an "Apple" thing. Everyone is responsible for their own data. If you say you can't backup because it shuts off, that's not an excuse at this point because that means you have never done it, or you have and don't need a current backup. No manufacturer assumes responsibility for your data. As the hard drive sizes swell in size, so does the customers data. If you have 40-50 gigs worth of video/music, and other stuff, how do you expect them to backup the data? DVD's? Takes hours as there is no native spanning capibility for that purpose built in. So they manually have to be split up. Another hard drive is the likely option. Buty then they have to take the time to take your drive out, put it in another machine, transfer data to an external drive, then put the drive back into the broken system. Ship it off for service. The when they get it back, connect the external and take the time to copy all that back. That effort deserves a fee, especially for folks that don't want to be bothered with backups in the first place.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    Them backing up data is time consuming and an inconvenience, but no more of an inconvenience for a customer who has parted with $1500 for a machine that worked for a month. Now I have to go without the Machine for what will likely be at least two weeks.

I think charging any fee for fixing a month old machine is shitty.

As it happens, my data IS backed up, but I don?t think asking them to return the Macbook to me with the hard drive intact or the data cloned without a fee is unreasonable. I don?t think many people would be anxious to buy a Macbook if they knew about these kinds of policies in advance.

I'd like to see this in the fine print for Apple's macbook ads.

*"by the way, if your computer fails one month from the date of purchase, we will charge you a $150 to preserve/restore any data on your drive when you bring it in for repair."
  • Reply 32 of 66
    "It just works."

See #1 here: http://www.apple.com/getamac/

False advertising?

If your computer fails within one year, they should fix it for free, no questions asked.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Quote:

Originally posted by baygbm

Them backing up data is time consuming and an inconvenience, but no more of an inconvenience for a customer who has parted with $1500 for a machine that worked for a month. Now I have to go without the Machine for what will likely be at least two weeks.

I think charging any fee for fixing a month old machine is shitty.

As it happens, my data IS backed up, but I don?t think asking them to return the Macbook to me with the hard drive intact or the data cloned without a fee is unreasonable. I don?t think many people would be anxious to buy a Macbook if they knew about these kinds of policies in advance.

I'd like to see this in the fine print for Apple's macbook ads.

*"by the way, if your computer fails one month from the date of purchase, we will charge you a $150 to preserve/restore any data on your drive when you bring it in for repair."

In this case... I tend to think that a little "pushing" may have gotten a free back up. Apple almost always does the right thing. Sometimes you just have to escalate the issue. The Mac Genius at the store may simply have been quoting you the standard back up cost. It's not likely he/she has the authority to waive that. Don't forget... the only thing in an Apple store is Apple products (well... mostly) and Apple customers or potential customers. They really don't want to have someone making a stink about something like that. Sometimes you just have to be the "squeaky wheel". The worst that can happen is you'll end up where you started... the best is that you'll get what you wanted.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Why does it need to be so difficult? If they just made quality goods and offered grseat service from the start, everyone would be happier.

What you suggest is that two different customers might get charged different rates for the same repair at the same shop on the same day. That sucks.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    You can't really give entry level employees free reign to waive fees when they want (they'll have all their friends come in, etc.). There needs to be some over site. While it would be nice for every company to always do what's best for the customer... it becomes too easy for customers to take advantage. It's appropriate for someone to make a case by case call in situations like this.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    You Apple apologists need to remember one thing: this is a brand new product that cost $1500 yet worked for only one month. By any measure that is inexcusable! The company should be falling over itself and bending over backwards to ensure my (or anyone else's) satisfaction.

This is not an isolated problem. Many people have experienced it and many more have written about it online. I am certain Apple knows about it though they have yet to publicly acknowledge it as they have the discoloration issue one white macbooks.

Based on what I've been reading I'm fairly certain this is some sort of logic board problem in the initial runs of macbook. I'm also fairly certain they will simply send me a new machine.

Here's what they should have done when I came into the store the second time: apologize, test the mac for software glitches, viruses, etc. offer to swap my bum machine for a new one (same ram & HD configuation) and offer to clone the data from the old drive to the new one. Apologize again.

Ideally, they would give me a new Nano for my toruble since they are now giving them away. Had I waited to buy one more week, I would have gotton a free Nano and probably a macbook that wasn't DOA.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    mbaynham:

What have you done with your malfunctioning macbook?

Did you get it repaired? Replaced?

How long did it work correctly before the problem surfaced?

How much memory do you have?

If you upgraded your memory was it done at the factory or did you do it with third party memory?
  • Reply 38 of 66
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    This is happening to me too. I can't send my macbook in for repair right now 'cause I'm in the process of moving accross the country.

What I found is mine only does it when it's been asleep for long peroids of time. If I just shut down and then start it up when I want to use it it's perfectly fine. I ripped 4 DVDs today with no problems.

If you can't get it fixed right now, try just shutting down rather than sleeping. I'd like to know if this works for anyone else, or if I'm living on the edge of meltdown...
  • Reply 39 of 66
    lcsedslcseds Posts: 14member
    Expectations are pretty high when it comes to Apple. You spend $1500 on a computer and insist that there not be any failure?? Then some of you want them to be held responsible for data? I spend $60,000 on a Mercedes and don't get that kind of guarantee. Sucks that you're having a problem, but this isn't Mayberry in the 1960's. Every company out there is trying to squeeze the buck. Quality has declined over the years with computer equipment because nobody wants to spend $5000 on a computer anymore. That's why Dell sells desktop systems for $499. Think those are the same quality as the ones from a few years ago?
  • Reply 40 of 66
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lcseds

I spend $60,000 on a Mercedes and don't get that kind of guarantee. Sucks that you're having a problem, but this isn't Mayberry in the 1960's.

stop trying to sound like you have a big dick and listen.

you cant compare a car to a computer. yeah, there are computer systems going cheap, but if you relate this to the car world, there are some new cars going for £2000, bout 3800 for your american dollars. if you spend $60,000 on your car, you expect it to work the same as a $3800 one

simple as