MacOSRumors finally gone!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    From today's MOSR:

Quote:

As we consider a purchase of our first Intel-based Mac laptops for Rumors' Maine, USA; California, USA; and Tel Aviv, Israel editorial offices...

They have a Tel Aviv office now!
  • Reply 22 of 55
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

They have a Tel Aviv office now!

Nice find! I just don't read them anymore. But it seems it does not hurt to have a look once in a while for a laugh.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Obviously, they are doing well if they have 3 (THREE!!! ) editorial offices. Kinda almost like CNN \
  • Reply 24 of 55
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    The thing that cracks me up is the links to their stories never work. Right now three different links go to part of the same story. Hopefully someone in the new Tel Aviv office can get the sight to work correctly. A few weeks ago, they had several breaking stories but the links never would go beyond an ad page. The front page reported they were aware of the problem and working to correct it. Eventually they just removed the links and all of the amazing "recon" contained in the stories was lost to the world. Tragic.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

As a matter of fact, it was almost 5 years ago when they published the Dodecahedron Mac rumor. I cannot forget that.

I know. It's like burnt into my brain.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I too remember when MOSR was far more credible and had daily updates. It all started to crumble around 2002. That's when I remember saying "Ryan Meader is on crack" a lot.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    ironkneeironknee Posts: 76member
    macosrumors was the first rumor site i found and it was ok at first...i guess...

for those of you who remember back in 2000(?) i think...when the pismo powerbooks were the rumor de jeu... i submitted a pismo mockup that i pulled out of my ass and he put it on the front page! with something like yes we saw something like that too...

lol...didn't look anything like the real pismo...anyways, if i can find the image i'll post.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    rumor du jour... (meaning rumor of the day)
  • Reply 29 of 55
    ironkneeironknee Posts: 76member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

rumor du jour... (meaning rumor of the day)

oops sorry
  • Reply 30 of 55
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    As QUOTED from MacOSRumors:

Quote:

"As we consider a purchase of our first Intel-based Mac laptops for Rumors' Maine, USA; California, USA; and Tel Aviv, Israel editorial offices....it goes without saying that we will be putting more than a few of these new BT Mighty Mice on our shopping lists in the process."

This guy has more offices than he has stories on his website! Honestly.. the guy must be making some descent cash off the ads.. I don't know why he'd bother with the site otherwise..
  • Reply 31 of 55
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Quote:

Originally posted by erbium

As QUOTED from MacOSRumors:

This guy has more offices than he has stories on his website! Honestly.. the guy must be making some descent cash off the ads.. I don't know why he'd bother with the site otherwise..

It's just one traveling idiot.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by erbium

How does everyone know this guys name??

What's his problem, and why does he waste everyone's time with his useless website?

Use whois :

Quote:

Meader, Ryan [email protected]

Black Light Media

595 Forest Avenue

Portland,, ME 04101

US

• Reply 33 of 55
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    I think whoever started this thread was reading my mind. Yea, macosrumors.com is a joke. I can't stand how they say they'll have info on such and such by such and such a time, and then days later it's still not updated. And I TOTALLY HATE.... how the pages auto-reload and the popups.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'm pretty sure the site's a joke nobody has yet got.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macvault

I think whoever started this thread was reading my mind. Yea, macosrumors.com is a joke. I can't stand how they say they'll have info on such and such by such and such a time, and then days later it's still not updated. And I TOTALLY HATE.... how the pages auto-reload and the popups.

haha.. all we want is inside info!

I love how often there will be a report RIGHT after an Apple announcement, and the author (Ryan Meader?) will state how it was somehow expected and that MacOSRumors was tracking the product for sometime...

Yes Placebo.. it's probably a joke. Better go and tell him we just figured it out.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    At one point it inspired its own parody site, which was quite funny up to a point...

http://macosrumors.blogspot.com/
  • Reply 37 of 55
    they actually really seem to be gone. again.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I remember when MOSR was THE rumor site. About 5 years ago perhaps?

Yep. It even had a layout that didn't immediately make you want to gouge your eyes out.

Then something happened. It was like night and day. Respectable inside info and rumor mongering turned into random , baseless crap surrounded by annoying ads.

Either I've changed or the Mac rumor mill is no more. No longer do I frequent any mac rumor sites or even just plain mac news sites. Forums seem to be a more valuable use of my time. With a bit of experience its easy to pick out info from people with good track records. Anyone else feel the same?
  • Reply 39 of 55
    pepp5pepp5 Posts: 10member
    www.MacOSRumors.com was the original, first, granddaddy of all rumor sites. It was started by a high school kid in WA State named Ethan Allen, and he posted screenshots of MacOS 8 before it shipped. Yeah, that's around 1996 or so. He got into a lot of trouble with Apple Legal for that, I think, and then he got into other trouble. See http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=2&gl=us

Then he sold the domain to Ryan Meader, and he actually continued it as a fairly reliable source of insider rumor stories. Then it fizzled out later...
  • Reply 40 of 55
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Hey, I just saw on Macrumors.com that Gears of war is coming to the Mac. Why hasn't this been reported here?

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/17/...coming-to-mac/

http://blogs.pcworld.com/gameon/archives/004865.html