Backup 3 Restore not working

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I get nothing but errors when I try to restore from an old backup archive (done with Backup v3). There error is non-descript - it simply starts the restore, scans some files and then stops. Has anyone else experienced this?

HELP!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hujib

I get nothing but errors when I try to restore from an old backup archive (done with Backup v3). There error is non-descript - it simply starts the restore, scans some files and then stops. Has anyone else experienced this?

HELP!

I hate to break this to you, but Backup (any version) is awful, and shouldn't be used by anyone. Why Apple continue to offer it to customers is beyond me. Do a Google search, and you should uncover plenty of examples of Backup failing. Which, for a backup solution, is pretty catastrophic.

In the mean time, it may be possible possible to recover something from your backup, but I'm not sure. What format does "Backup" backup to? Does it create disk images?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Good grief, are you kidding me? Can you provide some links to substantiate this (no stupid blog ranters, please)...
  • Reply 3 of 16
    dac0nvudac0nvu Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Good grief, are you kidding me? Can you provide some links to substantiate this (no stupid blog ranters, please)...

Yes, please! This is what I use for all my backups (latest version) and I've never heard of this problem before!!!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    I've been using it since early 2006.. lovely to find out only now that you can't restore reliably
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I remember that I followed a link from a Microsoft blog (they had an online tour of their Mac facilities, it was rather impressive) to an article about how Backup 3 can fail. The problem is that the failures are difficult to reproduce, but they do happen. IMHO, backup software that sometimes fails when restoring is totally useless and shouldn't be used by anyone.

I'll see if I can find the link.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

I'll see if I can find the link.

The Microsoft tour is here.

The article about Backup 3 is here.

Personally, I use Carbon Copy Cloner for my backups. Now that I'm on an Intel Mac it isn't perfect, but the author is working on a substantial update. He's been working on it for quite a while now, so hopefully it'll be out soon.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Sorry to hear about your problems. Depending on your settings I think you should be able to retrieve some of your files by control clicking on the backup file and choosing show package contents. This should give you a folder that shows all the files what were actually backed up.

I used to use Backup. Then I noticed that the Backup file was really small when it was supposed to be backing up my entire drive. Looking inside (show package contents) revealed a copy of my hard drive with lots of stuff missing. So I threw out the old backup and started a new one; but this time I monitored the state of my Backup pretty closely. Seemed fine until one day I got an error message while backing up. I checked in the backup file and some files were missing. From then on it seemed to do incremental backups but things that were missing stayed missing. So much for Backup as a Backup solution for me. I switched to Synchronize X Pro which is probably more than I really need, but is fast flexible and so far seems reliable.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    The "Show Contents" is working for me. I never would have imagined the files were stored in a standard disc image format. Thank god! This is by no means a solution. I will no longer be using Backup 3.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

The Microsoft tour is here.

The article about Backup 3 is here.

Personally, I use Carbon Copy Cloner for my backups. Now that I'm on an Intel Mac it isn't perfect, but the author is working on a substantial update. He's been working on it for quite a while now, so hopefully it'll be out soon.

Bull. Both of those links are from individuals who may or may not have an axe to grind (they may even be working with Microsoft).

Show me information from a reliable journal who has studied this and found it to be defective.

I'm calling you on these sources.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Bull. Both of those links are from individuals who may or may not have an axe to grind (they may even be working with Microsoft).

Show me information from a reliable journal who has studied this and found it to be defective.

I'm calling you on these sources.

Er... Do Microsoft make a backup solution for the Mac? No. They've very little reason to bad-mouth Apple's Backup.

People (including the person who started this thread, and another who has replied; are they lying too?) have had problems. To me, a backup solution that makes a backup that sometimes can't be used to recover from, is a useless backup solution. I know that I for one will never use Backup, and would never recommend it to anyone else. If you wish to carry on using it, that's up to you.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Unless I see some statement where Apple acknowledges that it didn't work and that it has been fixed and how/why it was fixed I'll never use it again.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hujib

Unless I see some statement where Apple acknowledges that it didn't work and that it has been fixed and how/why it was fixed I'll never use it again.

What was the last version of Backup you used? The current version is 3.1
  • Reply 13 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Bull. Both of those links are from individuals who may or may not have an axe to grind

You should look up who Rentzsch is before making such a claim about him.

And no, the Microsoft MacBU has no reason either to make up something negative about Apple software.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I'm on the latest OS with all the current updates and the latest Backup version. When I did the backups I was up to date as possible at the time. \
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

You should look up who Rentzsch is before making such a claim about him.

And no, the Microsoft MacBU has no reason either to make up something negative about Apple software.

Regardless, even the posts on his blog point to the fact that he was using an earlier version of the software, and he refused to use the newest version based on past experience. Who cares who this guy is?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    OK, the original question was what can cause Backup to fail in a restore?

Deleting some of the incremental backup files will do this - each depends on all the ones before.