Installing 10.5 Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm new to the macworld (what...a...pun...), having bought a Intel Core Duo this january, and i have yet to experience upgrading my MAC OS X.

So, my question is, does all the things in my current OS X get deleted, basically a total reboot? Or is Apple much smarter than that and keeps all the files and just updates the OS? What's the procedure?

Enlighten me .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    When Leopard is available, insert the install CDs/DVD and select "Archive and Install". The OS is upgraded and all your files, software etc. from your previous system version are saved in a new file called "Previous System". Any music, photos etc. you may have had on your Mac will be untouched and where you left them. Simple.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Nope, just click upgrade. Changes nothing but the system. No need to archive and install, there would be no point seeing as an archived system is unusable anyway, and would just take up disk space.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Nope, just click upgrade. Changes nothing but the system. No need to archive and install, there would be no point seeing as an archived system is unusable anyway, and would just take up disk space.

Personally I've had problems with just upgrading. I like the fact that I get a 'clean' install of OS X when I Archive and Install. And you can just delete your old system one you've confirmed that everything is working.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Fair enough, but clicking upgrade is a simple and clutter free way of doing it which usually works without any hiccups at all.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah I'd say upgrade for Noobs as well. Why bother with anything else? Count me in as another vote for Upgrade.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic

Yeah I'd say upgrade for Noobs as well. Why bother with anything else? Count me in as another vote for Upgrade.

count me in for the "archive & install" method. This, for me, has worked well. I -once- had a glitch with upgrade...the glitch was unexplained sloooooowness & spinning beach ball syndrome.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I would also recommend archive and install method, I had same slowness problems, with just update, but the answer to original question is that, yes there are good options to update your system, without loosing your data.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    For my piece of mind, I do a clean install. With the Mac you do not "install" applications, but instead, drag-and-drop them so the little bit of extra time it takes to get me up-and-running does not bother me.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Never had a problem doing a simple upgrade here and that is all of the way from 10.0.

Your biggest thought ought to be a backup strategy. Go to macupdate.com and look up SuperDuper. You can use the free version or pay for the whole thing and get some really easy features.

Then, if anything goes wrong ever, just restore.

Keep it simple. That is the Mac way.