Apple Insider v Apple Nova?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I have been wondering this since joing here a little while ago. What is the difference between Apple Insider and Apple Nova? They have very similar designs and setups, yet AI has plenty more members. Forgive me if this has been discussed before but my search came up empty.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 161
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Applenova originated as a kind of Appleinsider spinoff. The folks who started that used to be here, but then decided to start their own forum.
  • Reply 2 of 161
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Frankly, I'd never heard of AppleNova, and I rather like the often incendiary discussions between really well-informed people here on AI.
  • Reply 3 of 161
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    It was a fork over administrative disagreements, basically.
  • Reply 4 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

It was a fork over administrative disagreements, basically.

Sounds a bit Lord of the Rings, doesn't it?
  • Reply 5 of 161
    Here I'll help you with your search. http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=45591 That is a link to a thread that, if you read the whole thing (it's long), you will understand a lot more. I had the same question for a while, and if you just want a basic answer it comes down to the .com on AI and the .org on AN. Some people didn't like the ads on AI and so they started AN. Like I said, that was just a very very basic summary. Go read the link if you want a more extensive answer. I started participating in this thread toward the end of it. Look at the dates as you read too.
  • Reply 6 of 161
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    AppleNova is prettier. AppleInsider lets you talk politics. AppleInsider publishes rumors.
  • Reply 7 of 161
    AppleNova has fewer assholes.
  • Reply 8 of 161
    Since when has that been the marque of quality on a discussion board?
  • Reply 9 of 161
    I didn't say it was better that way.
  • Reply 10 of 161
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Indeed, that was long Apple Insider's slogan: "Come for the Apple rumors, stay for the head butting assholes".

A lot of the folks who were instrumental in starting the new site were positively phobic about the, um, spirited talk in whatever was acting as a political forum at the time (topic allocation has gone through several incarnations), although that was by no means the primary reason for the split.

The feeling was that ill-will and contentiousness seeped out of the political discussions and into the rest of the fora like some kind of toxic pollutant.

That has never been my experience here but try telling them that. Personally, I think the lack of at least a little bit of rancor makes Apple Nova a bit blander, although the bonding experience of getting it off the ground with a shared sense of ennobling outrage makes it clubbier, which has its plusses and minuses.
  • Reply 11 of 161
    Thanks for clearing that up. I figured they had to be somehow connected. Kind of silly it was over administrative differences -- sounds like big business.
  • Reply 12 of 161
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    theres some history over at AN also, in a locked forum ("Viva la Revolucion").
  • Reply 13 of 161
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Yeah, that's what it was. It was those mean political thinkers' fault!
  • Reply 14 of 161
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

Indeed, that was long Apple Insider's slogan: "Come for the Apple rumors, stay for the head butting assholes".

A lot of the folks who were instrumental in starting the new site were positively phobic about the, um, spirited talk in whatever was acting as a political forum at the time (topic allocation has gone through several incarnations), although that was by no means the primary reason for the split.

The feeling was that ill-will and contentiousness seeped out of the political discussions and into the rest of the fora like some kind of toxic pollutant.

That has never been my experience here but try telling them that. Personally, I think the lack of at least a little bit of rancor makes Apple Nova a bit blander, although the bonding experience of getting it off the ground with a shared sense of ennobling outrage makes it clubbier, which has its plusses and minuses.

I admit that I've probably spent a total of 3 minutes at Applenova, but I remember when the split happened, and I don't recall anything at all about the political forums. You're right that they didn't like the political forum anyway, but that was incidental, from what I recall.

As I recall, the administrator here and the higher-ups got into a hissy fight over what the board should look like. It was extremely lame, as I remember it, with all kinds of ridiculous drama. But it seems like they've got a nice group over there now, and I'm sorry they took some good folks with them that I miss reading.
  • Reply 15 of 161
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Somewhere I have a .pdf of a key thread that led to the big split. I'll have to see if I can find it and come up with a better answer for you all.
  • Reply 16 of 161
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Blame Tina.
  • Reply 17 of 161
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Haha.

AN has some passionate members, but I never liked the clubby feel you got when some of those members posted at AI. There was definitely a hierarchy and those members constantly made you know it. I think the forums are also less contentious now that they're gone. But hey they were classy enough to still let me have an account over there, despite my role in getting the ball rolling on the split, so I do give them credit for that.
  • Reply 18 of 161
    While the fundamentals of the split were over ads and Kasper's then absent dictatorial bent, it was more over the creation of a hidden forum where a clickish but and certainly not general group of users participated in school boy discussions and fomented a new forum sans ads etc... This group included at least one of the admins and several moderators, needless to say but I think Kasper saw this forum and some of its topics as a coup against him and went on a ban/lock account spree, including killing my primary identity.

The two forums have a large number of shared members -- I post here for the vitrol, and there for the general humor value in it all...
  • Reply 19 of 161
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I should clarify: I know that political forums had nothing to do with the split, I was just noting that that had long been a source of contention with a lot of the folks who created Nova and they took the opportunity of a new site to put their feelings about that into practice. You can still find the occasional reference to "those assholes who argue all day over at AI".
  • Reply 20 of 161
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    AppleNova started because Brad is a twat.

. . .

Brad is still a twat.