Removing stuff from System Preferences

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have some system application that I've downloaded from the web like "Window Shade X" or "High Priority".

Can someone tell me please how do I completely remove those from my system because if I try to drag them to the trash it doesn't allow me.

10x

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Try right-clicking on their icon
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    click once and press command-backspace
  • Reply 3 of 10
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    Ok I have done this, but does this mean that the applications related to them are uninstalled?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Hey what are the application/s names that you are trying to uninstall as it would help me to give you a better answer.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Maybe not. Some developers use a quirky way of installing preference panes.

Either use Spotlight to look for the app name and the domain name of the company, and/or look in

~/Library/PreferencePanes

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Artanis

Ok I have done this, but does this mean that the applications related to them are uninstalled?

• Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au

Hey what are the application/s names that you are trying to uninstall as it would help me to give you a better answer.

ShapeShifter
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Artanis

ShapeShifter

That one may be tricky, if it actually modified or replaced system files.

Isn't there a README that came with it, to explain how to reverse the changes it made? I would think these skinning apps would keep a backup of all the files they modify so they could revert to the factory defaults.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

That one may be tricky, if it actually modified or replaced system files.

Isn't there a README that came with it, to explain how to reverse the changes it made? I would think these skinning apps would keep a backup of all the files they modify so they could revert to the factory defaults.

There is a readme, but I couldn't find any "Uninstall" instructions.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    russsrusss Posts: 115member
    From Unsanity's website:

The best way to get rid of ShapeShifter is to use the built-in uninstaller. Double-click the "ShapeShifter Installer" icon and click on the "Uninstall" button (the installer will move all ShapeShifter files to the Trash - it will never actually delete any files on your system).

Finally, log out and then log back in to complete the process.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Ah. See, I figured there were directions somewhere.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RussS

From Unsanity's website:

The best way to get rid of ShapeShifter is to use the built-in uninstaller. Double-click the "ShapeShifter Installer" icon and click on the "Uninstall" button (the installer will move all ShapeShifter files to the Trash - it will never actually delete any files on your system).

Finally, log out and then log back in to complete the process.