Apple says Ford, GM and Mazda to offer iPod hookups

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Thursday announced it has teamed up with Ford Motor Company, General Motors and Mazda to deliver seamless iPod integration across the majority of their brands and models, making it easy for iPod users to enjoy and control their iPod?s high-quality sound through their car?s stereo system.

With the addition of these models, more than 70 percent of 2007-model US automobiles will offer iPod integration, Apple said.

"We?re delighted that Ford, General Motors and Mazda will support iPod connectivity in nearly all of their new models," said Greg Joswiak, Apple?s vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. "Now more than 70 percent of 2007-model US automobiles will offer iPod integration, with General Motors alone making it available on all 56 of its models, representing millions of cars and trucks."

Ford and General Motors will feature iPod integration in the majority of their 2007 models in the US beginning later this year, while Mazda?s entire global 2007 lineup of cars and SUVs will offer iPod connectivity.

iPod offerings for all three of the auto makers provide drivers with great sound quality while charging the iPod and conveniently storing the device in the glove compartment. Seamless iPod integration also allows drivers to use their car?s multifunction controls to select their music using artist, album, playlist or shuffle songs, as well as to easily skip between tracks and playlists.

"iPod and iTunes are leading the digital music revolution, providing the best way to listen to music on the go, at home and in the car," Apple said in a statement. "With over 58 million iPods sold, the iPod is the world?s most popular digital music player and the iTunes Music Store is the number one online music store with over a billion songs purchased and downloaded worldwide."

Additional information

The folks at LeftLaneNews are offering some additional details (and photos) of GM's "Personal Audio Link" package. Meanwhile, information on other auto makers that offer iPod integration is available through Apple's Web site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What I'm looking for is a slot loading iPod dock type car stereo made by Apple which would have a 6" or 7" touch-screen. To confirm, no buttons, one slot, touch-screen, Apple logo, job done.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Well this is nice, but is it really iPod integration.

I just looked at the 2006 BMW & Lexus and they no longer have the iPod cable they have an aux audio input now which you can plug in any MP3 player. Which suxs since it requires you to use the iPod interface to control the Ipod where are the original implemention you could control the iPod through the dash of the car.

It looks like the auto companies do not want be tied to the ipod, with the aux audio input you can input any audio device and have it play through the car stereo.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64

It looks like the auto companies do not want be tied to the ipod, with the aux audio input you can input any audio device and have it play through the car stereo.

It is easier not to be tied to the iPod, but it makes the whole experience more "user friendly" that way.

\
  • Reply 5 of 18
    They better do it quick - before they go bankrupt and out of business!
  • Reply 6 of 18
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    This is the exact reason why Zune is going to tank. the iPod is just too well connected.

New forums. Hmm.. I'm pretty sure I like it but I can't tell for sure yet.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

It is easier not to be tied to the iPod, but it makes the whole experience more "user friendly" that way.

\

Not sure how using and audio in make for a user friendly experience. It user friendly to see your play list on the dash and select a song as you look at the dash verse having to look down at the iPod,

They complain that people talking on a cell phone cause accidents, people playing with thier radio is the number 1 reason for people getting in an accident. Followed by yelling at thier kids, cell phones are #7. So image what is going to be like with people (kids) fiddling with their MP3 players while driving.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

This is the exact reason why Zune is going to tank. the iPod is just too well connected.

New forums. Hmm.. I'm pretty sure I like it but I can't tell for sure yet.

I am not prediction Zune and M$ will be sucessful, but Jobs has a tendence to piss off partners becuase he is megalomanic and wants total control over what everyone does.

Consider, BMW was the first to adopt the integrated ipod solution and they are the first to go away from it and go with standard aux audio in which the Zune or any other MP3 player can plug into it.

Also, I can see M$ stricking deals with the auto companies who all use windows to give them better windows pricing if they just implement a standard aux audio in verse a proprietary iPod connector. M$ has done this in the past.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Not sure how using and audio in make for a user friendly experience. It user friendly to see your play list on the dash and select a song as you look at the dash verse having to look down at the iPod,

They complain that people talking on a cell phone cause accidents, people playing with thier radio is the number 1 reason for people getting in an accident. Followed by yelling at thier kids, cell phones are #7. So image what is going to be like with people (kids) fiddling with their MP3 players while driving.

I believe that's what he meant, he just put it a little awkwardly...
  • Reply 10 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Now hold on. Everything I have read says these iPod integration systems include selecting playlists, displaying selections, and other things that wouldn't be possible with just an aux-cable connection.

Maestro64, are you sure what you saw was the optional iPod integration, or was it just the standard audio system with an iPod plugged in?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

Now hold on. Everything I have read says these iPod integration systems include selecting playlists, displaying selections, and other things that wouldn't be possible with just an aux-cable connection.

Maestro64, are you sure what you saw was the optional iPod integration, or was it just the standard audio system with an iPod plugged in?

It looks like GM and Ford will have the iPod cable, I guess my question is for how long. I did re-verify that BMW does not mention iPod integration anymore it says MP3 aux audio support. Nowhere could I find an option to have the iPod cable. I even asked the dealer if the aux audio in the center console was the only way to connect the iPod and they said yes. Hell they offer a cell phone dock for a number of phones that allows the phone to change and commincate through the stereo.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    This is why I believe Apple should open up the iPod control protocol. Allow any MP3 maker to plug into these iPod hookups. It'd be a win for consumers - more choice of players. A win for Apple - they can continue to control the protocol. A win for auto manufacturers - another option to charge $$$ for.

How much would you pay to see a Zune device with an "iPod control protocol compatible" sticker on it?

- Jasen.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

I believe that's what he meant, he just put it a little awkwardly...

ok I miss the sarcasm there....
  • Reply 14 of 18
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    He meant, It is easier not to be tied to the iPod, but it (being tied to the iPod) makes the whole experience more "user friendly" that way.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1

This is why I believe Apple should open up the iPod control protocol. Allow any MP3 maker to plug into these iPod hookups. It'd be a win for consumers - more choice of players. A win for Apple - they can continue to control the protocol. A win for auto manufacturers - another option to charge $$$ for.

How much would you pay to see a Zune device with an "iPod control protocol compatible" sticker on it?

- Jasen.

Apple should do that the day after Zune is released to the public.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

It looks like GM and Ford will have the iPod cable, I guess my question is for how long. I did re-verify that BMW does not mention iPod integration anymore it says MP3 aux audio support. Nowhere could I find an option to have the iPod cable. I even asked the dealer if the aux audio in the center console was the only way to connect the iPod and they said yes. Hell they offer a cell phone dock for a number of phones that allows the phone to change and commincate through the stereo.

Check out this press release from April:

Quote:

The original BMW iPod Adapter was the world's first seamless integration between iPod and a vehicle audio system. The new Interface will also allow users to incorporate their iPods directly into their car’s sound system, but with the newly available capability to sort their music according to their own playlists, as well as by artist, album, genre, podcast, and finally, a random selection of 500 songs from the user library. Artist, album, and song title will appear in the Display Monitor.

The seamless integration of iPod makes it effortless for drivers to control their music through their existing audio system and the multifunction steering wheel. The new BMW Interface for iPod enables drivers to easily access their entire music library, shuffle songs, skip between tracks and adjust volume -- all of this with no loss of sound quality or driving control.

The new Interface is compatible with all iPods with a dock connector, including the iPod nano and the fifth generation iPod. The BMW iPod Interfaces integrate the iPod through a direct connection in the BMW glovebox, providing outstanding sound quality and constant power to the iPod all while your iPod remains protected and out of view.

The new BMW iPod Interface will be available for customers to purchase at BMW centers beginning in July 2006. Pricing has not been determined.

Either you got bad information from them, or this press release is incorrect. I know which I believe.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calcio

They better do it quick - before they go bankrupt and out of business!

Ditto. This is good news for Apple, but I wouldn't take a Ford, GM, or Mazda product if they were giving them away.

I'm in my 30s and lots of my peers feel the same way.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

Check out this press release from April:

Either you got bad information from them, or this press release is incorrect. I know which I believe.

I will not argue with the press release, however, I am looking at both BMW literature for the 3 series as wall as their website for build your own car and nowhere does it show the iPod option. They only talk about the aux audio input. I also test drove the car and there was no cable in the glove box and it was the top the line model. So I am not sure how you order the iPod option. I wonder if it some sort of after market thing that plugs into the radio they currently use.

Edit:

Re-read the press release, they said the "new" ipod integration will be available after July 2006 model, so everything I was looking at was before this. Glad I waited to buy.