Customizing the Panther

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
On Windows there is an application called "Style XP" or "Vista inspired package" that allows us to customize the OS's look.

Is there something for Mac that does this? I would like something to change the color of my Safari window for example, or to make it transparent.

What do you guys recommend?

10q

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Haven't tried myself, but someone recommended Shapeshifter.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Artanis

Is there something for Mac that does this? I would like something to change the color of my Safari window for example, or to make it transparent.

What do you guys recommend?

I recommend to leave your system as is. If I am not mistaken, such changes require some sort of system hack. In that case, if you update later your system (for example 10.4.8 or whatever) and you forget to completely remove the hack before updating, then be prepared for some nasty surprizes. OS X does not like see hacks when is installed or updated.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Project2501

Haven't tried myself, but someone recommended Shapeshifter.

Yes it looks good, thanx.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

I recommend to leave your system as is. If I am not mistaken, such changes require some sort of system hack. In that case, if you update later your system (for example 10.4.8 or whatever) and you forget to completely remove the hack before updating, then be prepared for some nasty surprizes. OS X does not like see hacks when is installed or updated.

Ok, I understand. The thing is that I don't want to update to Tiger, for the moment at least, but I want to ask you if those "nasty surprizes" can appear even if I don't update?

I don't want to mess up my OS.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Ok, I understand. The thing is that I don't want to update to Tiger, for the moment at least, but I want to ask you if those "nasty surprizes" can appear even if I don't update?

Those updating problems don't only occure when updating to next major OS X release like panther -> tiger, but also with minor version updates 10.4.6 -> 10.4.7.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

It is always possible when you fiddle with the core system components, but I cannot give you occurence probabilities because I don't know. As a rule, I stay away from such system modifications. That's my suggestion to you too.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

What you are talking about are called haxies. They are probably the largest source of problems on MacOS X. As others before me have advised, leave them alone.