Source: Apple to move quickly on Merom-based systems

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Unwilling to relent in its assault on the US notebook market, Apple Computer plans to adopt Intel Corp.'s latest mobile processors at a rapid pace, AppleInsider has learned.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company has seen its share of the US notebook market double to 12 percent since announcing its first Intel-based notebook, the MacBook Pro, back in January.

In the three-month period ending July 1st, Apple reported record-setting shipments of Mac systems, including nearly 800,000 notebooks -- 75 percent of which the company estimated were Intel-based.

So far, the success of Apple's Intel systems has hinged on a single line of processors, the 32-bit Core Duo series formerly code-named Yonah. But in recent weeks, Intel has rolled-out far more capable chips in its 64-bit line of Core 2 Duo processors, including a mobile variant known by its code-named Merom.

The news has lead to widespread speculation over precisely when and where the new mobile chips will take their seat in Apple's product lines.

According to a source familiar with the Mac maker's plans, the company is slated to receive mass shipments of the new Merom Core 2 Duo processors by the first week of September and plans to be amongst the first PC manufacturers to introduce systems based on the new chips.

Although Intel has been shipping Core 2 Duo processors to system manufacturers since last month, it has been doing so in extremely limited quantities that have not been substantial enough to support new product launches, the source added.

Intel has said that Merom will be available in five different clock speeds, each running on a 667MHz front-side bus. Versions running at 2.0GHz, 2.16GHz, and 2.33GHz will pack a 4MB Level 2 cache and retail in lots of 1000 for $294, $423 and $637 a piece, respectively.

Intel also plans 1.66GHz ($209) and 1.8GHz ($241) variants of Merom with 2MB of Level 2 cache, though its unclear if Apple will adopt the entry level variants.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Maybe we will soon be seeing a total product line adoption of Core 2 Duo after all...
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Well I was hoping for a WWDC launch but Sept isn't that bad i guess!
  • Reply 3 of 38
    pippinpippin Posts: 91member
    Just put it in the MacBook at WWDC and I'll be a happy fellow (at least till Santa Rosa launches and I sellout for a MBP)
  • Reply 4 of 38
    They might do a paper launch, as has happened before, i.e. "these are available for pre-purchase today and will ship in four weeks".

Personally I think the low-end one would be perfect for an even cheaper laptop, to break into the <$1000 laptop market. Even competing with basically the same hardware (Core Duo), Apple's entry level machines are still $300 / 37% more than Dell's comparable systems - $1100 for the MacBook vs $800 for the Inspiron E1505, and the Dell is available in a cheaper model using the Core Solo.

Damien
  • Reply 5 of 38
    alpichalpich Posts: 96member
    I can't wait for these CPU's. I am going to buy one, open up my iMac and shove in a new 64bit Intel CPU. I just love a company that makes their current version of 32bit systems 64bit compliant. Sure I will only get a 20% performance kick, but with the Graphics stuff I do I will take it.

... still waiting on 10g flash drive for instant OS boot. i will not be buying new till that happens. Here that Apple. While you are making profits from every man and his dog you won't get my money till you have flash memory boot up. (that should get them moving
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Maybe apple will keep the low end in the macbook and higher end in the mbp to keep the seperation between models?
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Damien - Dells also tend to be heavier and larger than Apple laptops. I carry my (large compared to a MB) 14" iBook around with extreme ease, but most of my friends with "notebooks" can't get them into their backpacks.

Not to mention the whole iSight, iLife, etc stuff.

Anyhow, on topic here - the Article nails the fact that most of Apple's growth is in notebooks, and will continue to be. In fact, it seems like younger people (sub-35) tend to just have notebooks. Which raises a question: Is Apple notebook popularity because Apple notebooks rock, or because potential Mac buyers prefer notebooks to desktops?
  • Reply 8 of 38
    saudsaud Posts: 75member
    i think that the 4mb cache will be for the MBP and 2mb Cache will go for the Macbook.

i hope they solve the heat problems too.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saud

i think that the 4mb cache will be for the MBP and 2mb Cache will go for the Macbook.

I agree, and everyone hopes that heat issues will be resolved.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    I hope that "quickly" means we'll see announcements across all the product lines within the next month or two. I'm not holding my breath for WWDC though. Will Apple be announcing new hardware Monday or Tuesday (their usual day of preference)? Anyone know when they got on their soap box in the past WWDCs?
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brently

Well I was hoping for a WWDC launch but Sept isn't that bad i guess!

I need Boot Camp for work, but Sept is too far off. Guess I'll have to settle for the Yonah version.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Is it realistic to expect the Macbook to get the Core 2 Duo so soon?, i can get a Black Macbook with a Dull 24" for about the same price as a Macbook Pro!.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    September?

That's a bummer. Sure, no new information here. But to see September in writing is painful since I really want to switch to Intel.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    LOL that was a pointless story. Its basically reiterating fact - that the Merom chips will be shipping at the end of august/start of September.

This has been officially stated - So even if MBPs are announched at WWDC, dont evpect them until the end of August
  • Reply 15 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler

September?

That's a bummer. Sure, no new information here. But to see September in writing is painful since I really want to switch to Intel.

Apple can't release machines until the chip for them comes out. This is still ahead of schedule, rejoice!
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Is Apple notebook popularity because Apple notebooks rock, or because potential Mac buyers prefer notebooks to desktops?

I predicted just before I got my PowerBook in Sept 2004 that laptops really are the future of consumer computing with the increase of wireless routers. This prediction was based on a no-wires usage so people could migrate around the house with their computer. However again and again I see Windows laptops from Dell, HP use their batteries too much to use without wires for too long, I can get around 4 hours completely wire free with surfing the net etc.

Also, these Windows machines are too darn bulky to carry around, my dad carries his 17" PowerBook around the house. So I think that people's view is to get a laptop to use around, some of which have previously found Dells to be heavy, and are moving to the Mac platform. Also as a student, I had my PowerBook with me most of the times I was on campus last year, I saw no one carry a PC to lectures.

In answer to your question, I think it's a bit of both.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DamienMcKenna

They might do a paper launch, as has happened before, i.e. "these are available for pre-purchase today and will ship in four weeks".

Personally I think the low-end one would be perfect for an even cheaper laptop, to break into the <$1000 laptop market. Even competing with basically the same hardware (Core Duo), Apple's entry level machines are still $300 / 37% more than Dell's comparable systems - $1100 for the MacBook vs $800 for the Inspiron E1505, and the Dell is available in a cheaper model using the Core Solo.

Damien

Enjoy using Windows.

I've got an employee with a Dell laptop, & she was having trouble with her system. She had to clock out two days in a row to sit on the phone with a Dell support person for more than an hour each time. Lotsa blue-screen activity,and typing commands at a dos prompt, trying to fix things. The next day, I walked by her desk, and she had a Mac Mall catalog open to the Mac Book page.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hasapi

Is it realistic to expect the Macbook to get the Core 2 Duo so soon?, i can get a Black Macbook with a Dull 24" for about the same price as a Macbook Pro!.

I think that we have a few more months before the MacBook goes Core 2 Duo. The MacBook Pro will get it first, and to keep cost down the MacBook will stay with the Yonah till later in the year, or even into next year. Don't forget that it was released later than the MacBook Pro's.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    I hope it's early September so we can beat the Sep 16 deadline for the free nano/$180 off iPod (Educational promo). Even better, bring back the 12" Pro.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow

I think that we have a few more months before the MacBook goes Core 2 Duo. The MacBook Pro will get it first, and to keep cost down the MacBook will stay with the Yonah till later in the year, or even into next year. Don't forget that it was released later than the MacBook Pro's.

But Merom is the same price as the Yonah chips currently used There's no reason why Apple should hold back a products development to make the expensive ones look better.