Source: Apple to move quickly on Merom-based systems

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brently

Maybe apple will keep the low end in the macbook and higher end in the mbp to keep the seperation between models?

I sure hope not. I'm holding out for a Merom MacBook loaded with Leopard. Hopefully, we'll get some hints next week.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris v

Enjoy using Windows.

I don't intend to, my wife has agreed that we're going to get a Mac as soon as the equity loan comes through, which should be around about the time the new machines are available :-)
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamezog

I sure hope not. I'm holding out for a Merom MacBook loaded with Leopard. Hopefully, we'll get some hints next week.

I'm the same, waiting on Santa Rosa chipset in a MacBook.

I think Apple needs to embrace these new chips and go all out, and shove them into everything. I think there's a chance we could see every machine updated next week. Other manufacturers put the new chips in as soon as they can in their entire line from high to low. I hope we'll see Apple do this too.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielctull

Other manufacturers put the new chips in as soon as they can in their entire line from high to low. I hope we'll see Apple do this too.

That's not true. PC mfrs are still selling Celerons at the low end. And many are still selling Pentium Ms.

Regardless, I think Apple will not update the MacBooks to Core 2 Duos until Jan 2007. Apple will update the MBPs with 2 and 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo chips, with shipping starting mid-Sept. They will pre-announce the MBPs, because they feel they can get more impact now (due to WWDC), while still making another "newsworthy" announcement when they actually start to ship in Sept.

If MacBook sales start to slow, they can do a GHz boost to 2 and 2.16GHz Core Duos by end of October.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brently

I agree, and everyone hopes that heat issues will be resolved.

That won't change unless they change the cooling or switch to lower power notebook chips. I probably would be keeping my MBP if it used (or offered) the L2400 chip (1.66GHz, 15W) instead of the T-series (31W). I have the slowest MBP offered, the 1.86GHz.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    mwswamimwswami Posts: 166member
    From TechReport:

"Intel's mobile Core 2 Duo will mark the last of Intel's major summer introductions when it hits stores next month. It may begin replacing its predecessor, the Core Duo, rather quickly, as well. Industry sources quoted by DigiTimes say that Intel plans to kick up production of the Core 2 Duo so that it represents 50-55% of the company's mobile shipments in the first quarter of 2007. Production of the original Core Duo will begin shrinking towards the end of the year, and it's expected that the chip will make up only 10-15% of mobile shipments by the first quarter of next year. Furthermore, sources say Intel plans to introduce Core-based Celeron M chips in the fourth quarter of this year, extending the new Core microarchitecture to the low end."
  • Reply 26 of 38
    From TechReport:

"Intel's mobile Core 2 Duo will mark the last of Intel's major summer introductions when it hits stores next month. It may begin replacing its predecessor, the Core Duo, rather quickly, as well. Industry sources quoted by DigiTimes say that Intel plans to kick up production of the Core 2 Duo so that it represents 50-55% of the company's mobile shipments in the first quarter of 2007. Production of the original Core Duo will begin shrinking towards the end of the year, and it's expected that the chip will make up only 10-15% of mobile shipments by the first quarter of next year. Furthermore, sources say Intel plans to introduce Core-based Celeron M chips in the fourth quarter of this year, extending the new Core microarchitecture to the low end."
  • Reply 28 of 38
    so will these changes make my current macbook pro an inferior product (which i bought like 3 months ago)? im just trying to grasp if these new merom chips will create machines that will replace the current pro line of mac products...
  • Reply 29 of 38
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005

That's not true. PC mfrs are still selling Celerons at the low end.

For most users, a 400 series celeron is a very capable chip. It's not all that different from a core solo.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andy1908

so will these changes make my current macbook pro an inferior product (which i bought like 3 months ago)? im just trying to grasp if these new merom chips will create machines that will replace the current pro line of mac products...

Other than the 64 bit support the performance improvement is marginal. See AnandTech article Core 2 Duo vs Core Duo

"General application performance can improve a bit by switching to Core 2 Duo, but the biggest performance gains are associated with 3D rendering and media encoding tasks. Considering the nature of the improvements to Intel's Core 2 processor, the areas in which it succeeds are not surprising. If you use your notebook as a professional rendering or encoding workstation with no desktop in sight, then you'll probably consider Core 2 Duo a lot more carefully than most.

Overall, Merom may not be as big of an upgrade to Yonah as Conroe was to NetBurst, but the bottom line is that you get equal or better performance in every test without increasing cost or decreasing battery life. Owners of Core Duo laptops really have no reason to worry about upgrading for now, and waiting for the Santa Rosa platform before your next laptop upgrade seems reasonable. Those looking to purchase a new notebook on the other hand have no reason to avoid Core 2 Duo models, assuming pricing is consistent with what Intel is promising. There will be a delay of at least a few more weeks as we await availability, and testing and validation by laptop manufacturers may delay things a bit more, but within the next month or so you should be able to get a Core 2 laptop."
  • Reply 31 of 38
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mwswami

From TechReport:

This info along with the recent core 2 vs core duo comparisson test only confuses me. Six months from now what will make up a MBP and a MB? I used to think that the difference would be onlong the lines of MB having Core duo and IIG whereas the MBP would sport Core 2 and dedicated graphics. Now I'm not so sure. Maybe the MBs will get a crippled version of Merom(I think they call them celerons) that actually is slower than todays core duo. That would totally suck.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DamienMcKenna

They might do a paper launch, as has happened before, i.e. "these are available for pre-purchase today and will ship in four weeks".

Personally I think the low-end one would be perfect for an even cheaper laptop, to break into the <$1000 laptop market. Even competing with basically the same hardware (Core Duo), Apple's entry level machines are still $300 / 37% more than Dell's comparable systems - $1100 for the MacBook vs $800 for the Inspiron E1505, and the Dell is available in a cheaper model using the Core Solo.

Damien

I would gladly pay $300 more for the Apple that is about one third of the volume of the Dell.

Even Dells laptops with the same specs thats smaller, cost more money.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    There is no reason for Apple to delay moving to Core 2 in any part of the Mac range as sufficient supplies become available. From a competitive position the faster the move the more competitive they will become and Apple wants to be the most competitive OEM out there.

From a practical point of view, the MB and mini will probably be the last to switch because of the back to school market. Intel simply won't be able to supply the chips for this buying season. I would guess October for them, but the rest of the line should shift well before then.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    "Apple moves to faster processors as they become available SHOCK"
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

This info along with the recent core 2 vs core duo comparisson test only confuses me. Six months from now what will make up a MBP and a MB? I used to think that the difference would be onlong the lines of MB having Core duo and IIG whereas the MBP would sport Core 2 and dedicated graphics. Now I'm not so sure. Maybe the MBs will get a crippled version of Merom(I think they call them celerons) that actually is slower than todays core duo. That would totally suck.

I think that the differences will be similar to today - future MBPs will have larger sizes, support for more memory, dedicated graphics, bigger hard drive, higher end Merom, expandability (FW800, and ExpressCard/34).
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Does Apple even make this an event? With Intel busting out new chip architectures every few months, Apple could just drop new chips in as soon as they're available. Intel markets the new chips, and of course Apple still touts them in the advertisements, there's just no coming-out party.

It's going to be exciting to see Apple hardware finally get updated every few months, in step with the rest of the computing world. The days of designing a new enclosure for every CPU design tweak are over.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

MB will maybe get the 2MB cache version of Merom which come out slightly later IMO - not really really that crippled at all - and still slightly faster than Yonah../much faster at number crunching.

Some of these early tests don't look so great an improvement (vs. core duo 1) but the improvements in tech/architecture inside the chip will gradually show up more an more.. These tests look better... http://tinyurl.com/q9uws.

IMO the real world battery life will be improved greatly - in the case where you're not really taxing the CPU so much, I don't really believe it's only +7%! There will be software/ROMs where you can control CPU speed/power consumption more greatly to give better battery life.

Here's some extra hype on the battery (albeit from Intel itself).

http://news.com.com/1606-2-6100051.html <- 5 hours!
  • Reply 38 of 38
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OfficerDigby

MB will maybe get the 2MB cache version of Merom which come out slightly later IMO - not really really that crippled at all - and still slightly faster than Yonah../much faster at number crunching.

Some of these early tests don't look so great an improvement (vs. core duo 1) but the improvements in tech/architecture inside the chip will gradually show up more an more.. These tests look better... http://tinyurl.com/q9uws.

IMO the real world battery life will be improved greatly - in the case where you're not really taxing the CPU so much, I don't really believe it's only +7%! There will be software/ROMs where you can control CPU speed/power consumption more greatly to give better battery life.

Hope you're right. Time will tell.