Special partition

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What do I use to create an invisibile password partition on a Macintosh HD (Mac Mini)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    I don't see a password option in the Partition tab of Disk Utility.

Probably the easiest thing to do is make a passworded Disk Image, rather than a partition. You can make a sparse image that you can add to. Explore "Disk Utility" in Appllications/Utilities, and its Help menu.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    Yes it is the easiest and the best, but it has a huge shortcoming, IT CAN BE DELETED WITH NO PASSWORD REQUIRED. This goes for both "sparse disk image" and "read/write disk image" (though I don't understand what is the thing that differs between them).

Any solution to prevent deleting this disk images? or any solution for my first post?

10x
  • Reply 3 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    If you are the only one who can log into the account the disk image file belongs to, there should be no problem. I suppose you could give it root ownership, that would definitely do it unless someone else has root access. Set owner to System and group to wheel.

SparseImage lets it expand as stuff is added to it. Others have a fixed size, wasting space.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    you can also hide the image by putting a "dot" in front of the name...

Change "Secret.img" to ".Secret.img"

then it is only accessible to those who know it's there.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yeah, the computer reads your mind to see whether you know or not, and displays it based on that.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Artanis

What do I use to create an invisibile password partition on a Macintosh HD (Mac Mini)?

Create a password protected disk image and start the name with a dot "." so it is invisible. Make sure you deselect the 'Remember password (add to Keychain)' box so even if someone were to use terminal to see what files you have, they will still need to enter the password to see what is in the disk image. To open the disk image open a terminal window and type "open " then the name of the disk image. If you have spaces in the name then you will need to put the name in quotes.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Artanis

Yes it is the easiest and the best, but it has a huge shortcoming, IT CAN BE DELETED WITH NO PASSWORD REQUIRED. This goes for both "sparse disk image" and "read/write disk image" (though I don't understand what is the thing that differs between them).

Any solution to prevent deleting this disk images? or any solution for my first post?

10x

Ummm...... yea...... and when you boot from your basic ordinary run of the mill (obtainable just about anywhere) OS X Install DVD you can delete/format any drive you're little heart desires and with a big-ole-nasty-magnet (or simple hammer or brick for that matter) you don't even need the freakin OS X Install DVD.

Dave