Uninstalling some applications

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
There are the usual applications like the ones u gest drag in the application folder. These ones are easily uninstalled by dragging them in the trash.

However there are some other applications like ShapeShifter wich I can't uninstall, I have deleted all the library files I could find and still my iMac takes 10 minutes to start. I haven't applied any theme I just installed the program.

How can I completely uninstall it?

On Windows there is the "Add or Remove programs" in the Control Panel is there something like this on Panther?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    You could try AppZapper (look on Versiontracker) but I think ShapeShifter is a special case, as the changes it made have to be reversed.

I think.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Artanis

There are the usual applications like the ones u gest drag in the application folder. These ones are easily uninstalled by dragging them in the trash.

However there are some other applications like ShapeShifter wich I can't uninstall, I have deleted all the library files I could find and still my iMac takes 10 minutes to start. I haven't applied any theme I just installed the program.

On Windows there is the "Add or Remove programs" in the Control Panel is there something like this on Panther?

• Reply 2 of 8
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

You could try AppZapper (look on Versiontracker) but I think ShapeShifter is a special case, as the changes it made have to be reversed.

I think.

Just another **REALLY** good reason not to futtz with apps that provide **SO** little benefit and at that same time so thoroughly *HOSE* your OS. Hey, almost everyone comes to an age and/or time in their life when "funky eye candy" just isn't all it's cracked up to be and a stable system is.

Remember, friends don't let friends install silly hacks (including Windows XP)...

D
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

In your "/library/preferences/" and your "/users/YOURNAME/library/prefernces/" folders contain preference files for your apps. delete the ones that contain the name of your application. Sometimes they are named for the manufacturer or inside another folder.

Go to your system preferences --> accounts--> login items, and highlight the application and hit the "-"

There will also may be related files in "/library/ application support" and "/users/YOURNAME/library/application support" folders. Delete those files that relate to whatever app you're removing.

That should assure that it's all gone. Anything I missed?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    I don't think u missed something, but I now about this libraries. However the boot sequence on my iMac is still the one of the ShapeShifter.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Run the ShapeShifter installer and tell it to uninstall.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    See above.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

Run the ShapeShifter installer and tell it to uninstall.

I did this and guess what? my boot sequence is messed up.

When I starrt my iMac it shows a globe icon clipping in the middle of the screen for about 5 minutes, after this an folder icon (with a finder mini icon on that folder) clipping for another 5 minutes and only after this my iMac starts. I don't know what to do.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

I did this and guess what? my boot sequence is messed up.

When I starrt my iMac it shows a globe icon clipping in the middle of the screen for about 5 minutes, after this an folder icon (with a finder mini icon on that folder) clipping for another 5 minutes and only after this my iMac starts. I don't know what to do.

It sounds like you are combining two issues here:

1. Un-installation of Shapeshifter

2. Some other FS or HD issue.

I would concentrate on the bigger issue, being the FS/HD issue. Back up any data that is important. You can copy your entire user folder ( /users/YOURNAME/ ) This will backup all your settings and documents, given you stored them in your documents folder as a rule.

Repair permissions. Repair the drive. (both from the boot CD utilities)

If that doesn't work, boot into single user mode by holding down "apple + S" on boot-up.

At the command prompt type "fsck –fy" (without the quotes) If it finds any errors run it again or until no more errors are found. If you keep getting the same errors, you may have a HD that is going bad.

Back up any data and programs that are important!

If you had major errors that would not go away using fsck, you might be better off getting a new drive as HD issues of this sort usually persist. But, you can try to do a clean install and then restore your data. Make sure to reformat and then repair the disk (through the boot CD utilities) to verify there is still no problem.

Unfortunately, the HD is the weakest link on any system, including a mac. Apple uses the same crap drives that everyone else does, and it seems that every time HD capacity increases in a big way so does the chance of failure, at least on the first few shipments of the new technology. Having said that, I recommend an external drive for backup. Just get in the habit of copying your important stuff over to it on a regular basis. This will save you from getting bit in the backside.

Let me know how it works out or if you have any questions.