macbook turning itself off

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by baygbm

mbaynham:

1. What have you done with your malfunctioning macbook?

2. Did you get it repaired? Replaced?

3. How long did it work correctly before the problem surfaced?

4. How much memory do you have?

If you upgraded your memory was it done at the factory or did you do it with third party memory?

1. ive still not sent it off, but it only shuts off once after i turn it on, and thats only about 30seconds after i log in, so no big deal, i just play around in itunes for abit

2. explained it above

3. it worked for about 1 month before shutting down

4. if has 512ram and 60gb hdd

why?
  • Reply 42 of 66
    lcsedslcseds Posts: 14member
    Quote:

stop trying to sound like you have a big dick and listen.

you cant compare a car to a computer. yeah, there are computer systems going cheap, but if you relate this to the car world, there are some new cars going for £2000, bout 3800 for your american dollars. if you spend $60,000 on your car, you expect it to work the same as a $3800 one

Charming. This post identifies the very reason you don't understand anything related to business.
  • Reply 43 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

1. ive still not sent it off, but it only shuts off once after i turn it on, and thats only about 30seconds after i log in, so no big deal, i just play around in itunes for abit

2. explained it above

3. it worked for about 1 month before shutting down

4. if has 512ram and 60gb hdd

why?

Mine has been in since the 24th of July. Apple called yesterday and told me to go to my local Apple store and pick up a replacement.
  • Reply 44 of 66
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    I'm sure the same thing will happen to me. I bet this is a logic board problem they are trying to keep quiet.

They've had mine since Aug. 1st.
  • Reply 45 of 66
  • Reply 46 of 66
    woa, about 2 weeks ago i was determined on getting a new macbook for university. Getting second thoughts now but i was gunna wait until september to see if any updates were announced anyway. The only apple products i've had so far are ipods, my first 40GB 4th gen ipod, that stopped working 1st in warranty and then 2nd out of warrenty. My girlfriend then got me a nano, which has stopped working. I thought that their laptops would surely be of better quality? Not really sure what to do now, don't want another PC, but dont want a big white piece of plastic that just DOESNT work.
  • Reply 47 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frediography

woa, about 2 weeks ago i was determined on getting a new macbook for university. Getting second thoughts now but i was gunna wait until september to see if any updates were announced anyway. The only apple products i've had so far are ipods, my first 40GB 4th gen ipod, that stopped working 1st in warranty and then 2nd out of warrenty. My girlfriend then got me a nano, which has stopped working. I thought that their laptops would surely be of better quality? Not really sure what to do now, don't want another PC, but dont want a big white piece of plastic that just DOESNT work.

I’m unhappy with my macbook experience but I think your hesitation is unwarranted.

Every car maker you can name has had million unit recalls at some point in the past (ford, Toyota, GM, Honda, Mercedes) for one problem or another. Would you never buy a car from any such carmaker again? Of course, not.. that would be stupid.

Hundreds of thousands of macbooks have shipped; perhaps a few hundred are experiencing the problem we have identified here. Nothing in life is 100% all the time. This is my 6th Apple computer and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another.

I think a one year warranty on consumer electronics is reasonable... especially if you buy them with a credit card that extends that warranty by one additional year.
  • Reply 48 of 66
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    My three-week old MacBook began randomly shutting down yesterday. I had no problems previous to installing the new firmware update that was released not too long ago.

As mentioned in this thread, the computer shuts down with absolutely no warning. This is my second Mac (my Powerbook has not crashed once in almost two years). OS X is rock solid, but this is obviously a problem that negates this (haven't lost any data yet). What to do?

Here is the console system log:

First shutdown:

Aug 27 21:09:27 mnz-computer kernel[0]: System SafeSleep

Aug 27 21:09:27 mnz-computer kernel[0]: hibernate_page_list_setall start

Aug 27 21:09:27 mnz-computer kernel[0]: hibernate_page_list_setall time: 59 ms

Aug 27 21:09:27 mnz-computer kernel[0]: pages 120446, wire 37659, act 37533, inact 19138, zf 22, could discard act 12360 inact 13734

Aug 27 21:09:27 mnz-computer kernel[0]: hibernate_page_list_setall found pageCount 120446

Aug 27 21:09:27 mnz-computer kernel[0]: IOHibernatePollerOpen, ml_get_interrupts_enabled 0

Aug 27 21:09:27 mnz-computer kernel[0]: IOHibernatePollerOpen(0)

Aug 27 21:09:27 mnz-computer kernel[0]: writing 119940 pages

Aug 27 21:09:27 mnz-computer kernel[0]: image1Size 65434624

Aug 27 21:09:27 mnz-computer kernel[0]: all time: 5289 ms, comp time: 1201 ms, deco time: 0 ms,

Aug 27 21:09:27 mnz-computer kernel[0]: image 177089024, uncompressed 384393216 (93846), compressed 175212448 (45%), sum1 797b2ab6, sum2 a3911369

Aug 27 21:09:27 mnz-computer kernel[0]: hibernate_write_image done(0)

Aug 27 21:09:27 mnz-computer kernel[0]: sleep

Aug 27 21:09:27 mnz-computer kernel[0]: Enabling XMM register save/restore and SSE/SSE2 opcodes

Aug 27 21:09:27 mnz-computer kernel[0]: Started CPU 01

Aug 27 21:09:27 mnz-computer kernel[0]: IOBluetoothHCIController::restartShutdownWL this is a wake from sleep

Aug 27 21:09:27 mnz-computer kernel[0]: System Wake

Aug 27 21:09:27 mnz-computer kernel[0]: USB caused wake event (EHCI)

Second-Shutdown

Aug 27 17:50:56 mnz-computer cp: error processing extended attributes: Operation not permitted

Aug 27 17:55:47 mnz-computer kernel[0]: hibernate image path: /var/vm/sleepimage

Aug 27 17:55:47 mnz-computer configd[35]: AppleTalk shutdown

Aug 27 17:55:47 mnz-computer kernel[0]: sizeof(IOHibernateImageHeader) == 512

Aug 27 17:55:47 mnz-computer kernel[0]: Opened file /var/vm/sleepimage, size 536870912, partition base 0xc805000, maxio 400000

Aug 27 17:55:47 mnz-computer kernel[0]: hibernate image major 14, minor 2, blocksize 512, pollers 3

Aug 27 17:55:47 mnz-computer kernel[0]: hibernate_alloc_pages flags 00000000, gobbling 0 pages

Aug 27 17:55:48 mnz-computer configd[35]: AppleTalk shutdown complete

Aug 27 17:55:48 mnz-computer kernel[0]: jnl: close: flushing the buffer cache (start 0xbe200 end 0xc0400)

BTW, someone mentioned that there is a $150 fee to back up your data. I believe the fee is $50, not $150.
  • Reply 49 of 66
    Aug 29 15:18:29 localhost kernel[0]: Previous Shutdown Cause: -72
  • Reply 50 of 66
    Well here's my .02 cents

Apple is obviously not fixing the problem because I've gone through 2 random shutdown macbooks already. I am typing on the 3rd one and the random shutdowns started on me again. I've only had this macbook for 3 weeks.

I didnt have any problems before I installed 10.4.7

When I send this one in and receive my fourth machine, I'm not installing the 10.4.7 update. I'll just wait for 10.4.8.

Apple is already releasing prelimanary builds to developers, so i'm sure it will be out in a couple months.

Good luck to everyone.

Call apple. Get a brand new machine. Dont settle for a repair.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mister_volcom88

Well here's my .02 cents Call apple. Get a brand new machine. Dont settle for a repair.

I'm thinking of asking for a new one, but I'll see what they tell me. This is bar none the best laptop I've ever owned (much better than my previous Powerbook), it is a shame that this has to ruin what would be otherwise a great experience.

What the hell is Reason for Shutdown -72? Where can I find out what this means?
  • Reply 52 of 66
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    People with the sudden shutdown problem may be interested in this.
  • Reply 53 of 66
    My MacBook has officially joined the random shut down club.
  • Reply 54 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride

My MacBook has officially joined the random shut down club.

When did you buy it? I thought they had fixed / were fixing the problem and I was about to get the wife one (well, I would be the main user but she would be happy to have received it).
  • Reply 55 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister

When did you buy it? I thought they had fixed / were fixing the problem and I was about to get the wife one (well, I would be the main user but she would be happy to have received it).

The RSS problems have been narrowed to a serial number range. I don't think the ones being produced now have this problem. I rembember reading the serial range somewhere, but I can't find it now (mine was within it).

I just took mine in. They said that they know what the problem is and that I should get it back in 7 days.
  • Reply 56 of 66
    Cool. Guess I can go and buy myself...er, the wife... one.
  • Reply 57 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister

Cool. Guess I can go and buy myself...er, the wife... one.

I can't find the article. My MacBook's serial number began with 4H. I doubt they're still making MacBooks in this serial range, but ask to look at the box just in case.
  • Reply 58 of 66
    thought id bring this one up again.

hows everyone getting on who had problems? did the fireware upgrade do the trick? did for me. now the bloody bezels comping away from the main body of the computer, and there not replacing it because 'it does not interfer with the operation of the computer'. BASTARDS!!!
  • Reply 59 of 66
    I sent mine in for repair. It took almost three weeks and reversing the charge on my credit card (that got their attention!). They fixed it and I’ve had no problems since (before the firmware update).

I didn't feel like I needed it, but I did update the firmware once it became available. Again, no more problems.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

now the bloody bezels comping away from the main body of the computer, and there not replacing it because 'it does not interfer with the operation of the computer'. BASTARDS!!!

That's not acceptable. Keep on phoning until you get someone who agrees to get it repaired. The first MacBook I was sent had its display bezel coming away from the display (problem appeared straight out of the box) and they replaced the whole machine no questions asked.