Cinema Display - is it dying?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a 20" Apple Cinema Display linked to my G4 running 10.3.9. It's nearly 4 years old and is left on most of the time (with screen saver and sleep enabled). There is now a dark shadow across the top quarter of the screen (although I can still see everything that is there).

Any suggestions: Is there a quick fix? (I suspect not). Is it something an Apple Engineer could (economically) repair? Or do I go and buy a new one before it gets possibly worse?

Thanks - Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    You'll probably need your backlights replaced, they just go kaput after a while, seems like you've been using it for a very long time and that's the reason. They should be easily replaceable, call or email Apple about it.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

You'll probably need your backlights replaced, they just go kaput after a while, seems like you've been using it for a very long time and that's the reason. They should be easily replaceable, call or email Apple about it.

Thanks Placbo

I thought I might have to buy a new screen, but it sounds like it won't cost too much to repair. I work quite near the Apple store in Central London. I'll take the monitor in for them to check it out.

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 8
    It could be up to a quarter of the price of the monitor, I know that display backlights are pretty high-grade. It'll still probably be cheaper than buying a new screen.

If you do end up getting a new screen, keep your mind open to non-Apple displays as well as Apple ones.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Also ... with an LCD display.... don't use a screen saver... have it turn the display OFF instead (this will extend the life of the backlight/display).
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Yeah, agreed.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Coasby

I have a 20" Apple Cinema Display linked to my G4 running 10.3.9. It's nearly 4 years old and is left on most of the time (with screen saver and sleep enabled). There is now a dark shadow across the top quarter of the screen (although I can still see everything that is there).

Any suggestions: Is there a quick fix? (I suspect not). Is it something an Apple Engineer could (economically) repair? Or do I go and buy a new one before it gets possibly worse?

Thanks - Dave

See, this is why I prefer CRTs.. I have a 17" CRT from 1994 right here, and it's just as blurry and crappy as it ever was!

BOO TO NEW TECH!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Wow - thanks everyone for all the advice. I've always been so impressed when Apple people all around this crazy ol' world are so helpful to each other (perhaps our world leaders could learn a lesson or two here... but we won't go down that road here)

Two points raised: I too have CRT screen here at my work place in London (...if it works - leave well alone!)

I know screen savers haven't helped give my LCD screen a prolonged life, but my wife and I just love walking past and seeing one of many, many alternating images of our happy life together which we have stored on iPhoto. It always makes us smile, so the cost of repairing the screen can't be measured.

I've got an appointment at the London Apple store later today to talk through the problem and hopefully get it booked-in for a repair.

Thanks again everyone.

Dave
  • Reply 8 of 8
    You know how it is when your car rattles (or whatever) and you take it to your favourite mechanic and as soon as he starts it up it doesn't rattle anymore....

Today I took my cinema display to the Genius Bar at the London Apple Store. The guy connected it up (after having some difficulty in finding a suitable plug adaption) and it worked perfectly! I couldn't belief it. I felt such a fool having bothered him. He did explain it might be my G4's video card giving the problem. So I brought the screen home and plugged it back in... still perfect! So for the moment I'll leave well alone. But I've a feeling this isn't the end of my story...