Blank screen on start-up of iBook G4

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Figure I'll need to launch from a CD, but this is frustrating as it's a recent second-hand purchase that was working fine until yesterday. It has (had?) Tiger on it, plus several other applications, none of which I have the disks for -- Panther's the most recent CD I've got.

I hit the start-up button, get the little melodic note, then the screen goes white and stays that way.

Anyone familar with this situation and have advice?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Sounds an awful lot like the logic board error.

Try pressing to the left of the trackpad while booting. Does that make a difference?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    c-bearc-bear Posts: 111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Sounds an awful lot like the logic board error.

Try pressing to the left of the trackpad while booting. Does that make a difference?

I agree, it does sound like a logic board issue, I'm just hoping it isn't. Tried pressing to the left on start-up, no luck.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I take it you can't boot off the hardware test CD either?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    c-bearc-bear Posts: 111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

I take it you can't boot off the hardware test CD either?

I don't have one at hand at the moment (not at home this morning).
  • Reply 5 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Try the standard PPC "fixing" techniques:

- can you boot holding down the option key?

- can you boot holding down the shift key?

- reset the Open Firmware: boot holding down command-option-o-f and then type "reset-nvram" (return) and "reset-all" (return).

- zap the PRAM: boot holding down command-option-p-r until you hear the second chime.

- reset the Power Management Unit: I forget how this works on this model. Google "iBook G4 PMU" or "iBook G4 CUDA".
  • Reply 6 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by C-Bear

Figure I'll need to launch from a CD, but this is frustrating as it's a recent second-hand purchase that was working fine until yesterday. It has (had?) Tiger on it, plus several other applications, none of which I have the disks for -- Panther's the most recent CD I've got.

I hit the start-up button, get the little melodic note, then the screen goes white and stays that way.

Anyone familar with this situation and have advice?

I am not too familer with apple laptop hardware but all PC Laptops ahve a "Fn" key that when used in conjunction with other keys will change laptop hardware spesific settings like LCD brightness and video output setting, sounds like this was toggled...seen it 100s of times on PC laptops...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    fn-F2 or just F2, depending on the setting.