Vista vs Leopard

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

Tiger already has almost every one of the features that are not currently present in windows.

I say that's exaggerated.

How about some file system features: transparent encryption, transparent compression, automatic versioning and archiving?
  • Reply 42 of 78
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    I am so glad that Apple are moving away from video game style eye candy, and I hope the trend continues.

Honestly, Vista has forged new levels of bad taste, with little thought to colour and shade in terms of usability.

Vista looks like a cheap whore on a Sunday night.
  • Reply 43 of 78
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

I say that's exaggerated.

How about some file system features: transparent encryption, transparent compression, automatic versioning and archiving?

Hardly. Why don't put up a list of what's new in Vista vs. windows, and see how much of it is already in tiger. It's like 80+% But who cares. Vista, Tiger, they are both going to be outdated after WWDC. But more so vista.
  • Reply 44 of 78
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Can't someone move this PC vs Mac battle crap to another forum?
  • Reply 45 of 78
    Quote:

Hardly. Why don't put up a list of what's new in Vista vs. windows

How about versioning? No, Tiger doesn't have it.
  • Reply 46 of 78
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Give the kid a break.

Blind Apple partisanship poorly serves the platform.

Aesthetics notwithstanding, the bigger question about Vista is stability. Microsoft struggles mightily on that score.
  • Reply 47 of 78
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

How about versioning? No, Tiger doesn't have it.

Holy crap, I'm jumping ship.
  • Reply 48 of 78
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sybaritic

Give the kid a break.

Blind Apple partisanship poorly serves the platform.

Aesthetics notwithstanding, the bigger question about Vista is stability. Microsoft struggles mightily on that score.

Two things…

One:

It is still AppleInsider; if I wanted to read about Vista, I would do that within my Windows IT day job, and on a Windows-centric forum… (and Vista is far, far away from being used in our offices yet, gotta let others do M$s extended beta testing…)

Two:

Dude, the forum classification is Temp. Insanity, and it is now 52 hours until Stev-o hits the stage… If that doesen't inspire 'Blind Apple partisanship' I don't know what does…!

;^p
  • Reply 49 of 78
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Speaking of Vista's user interface...the icon for a folder is standing on its side, which annoys me because it doesn't make practical sense. When you put a real life folder like this with files, all of the files would fall out. Just this lack of reality, or attention to detail on Microsoft's part, makes Windows Vista look so stupid.
  • Reply 50 of 78
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I dunno, I think Vista's UI is pretty slick. Mac OS X's still loks kind of unprofessional.
  • Reply 51 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

I dunno, I think Vista's UI is pretty slick. Mac OS X's still loks kind of unprofessional.

Eh, definitely better than XP in the visuals department... not sure about usability.

I'll agree somewhat with the second point... the brushed metal needs to be eliminated, particularly in the Finder. Though I think brushed metal still works in Safari very well - IMO. Anyway, Leopard will surely bring a decisive end to brushed metal.
  • Reply 52 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nathan22t

Holy crap, I'm jumping ship.

I'm getting a Dell. With Ubuntu Linux.
  • Reply 53 of 78
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Ok guys. I think I am going to settle this once and for all:

1) Tiger > XP

2) Vista = Tiger (mostly)

3) Vistas graphics look to cluttered and fragile.

4) We can't make comparisons about Vista and Leopard yet, we don't know a damn about Leopard.

5) The cost of a Mac has been proven equal to the cost of a PC if you factor in includded software and hardware add-ons for pcs in order to acomplish the same task.

6) Macs retain their value very well (for a computer at least).

7) Mac OS X is very stable. It does not crash often. It has no viruses in the wild (albeit there could be some -- but the point is... there aren't any now)

8) Mac OS X looks very good: Elegant yet solid.

9) Windows (in general) has better navigation than a Mac.

So what should Apple improve in Leopard?

1) Navigation

2) Under-the-hood / Performance

3) Eye Candy

4) Features (think about WHY they call them features) -- they are distinctive attributes

5) Security
  • Reply 54 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

9) Windows (in general) has better navigation than a Mac.

Which nether region of your ass did you pull this one from?
  • Reply 55 of 78
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yeah, I find that to be false. It just feels like to get to a given file there are so many steps more than in Mac OS X.

Actually, I think my main hate is not being able to open the Applications and Home folders with keyboard shortcuts (Command-Shift-A etc) like I can on the Mac.

In general, the concept of "making a new window" isn't really there in Windows.
  • Reply 56 of 78
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

I just took my first look at vistas UI, and it looks like old Aqua mixed with a couple shape shifter GUI replacements. The icons look like they came from the icon factory. I didn't see anything special, or beyond what we have now as I had expected after that post.
  • Reply 57 of 78
    Quote:

The icons look like they came from the icon factory.

XP's icons did, as did Xbox 360's, so it's not a stretch to assume that Iconfactory is doing Vista's as well.
  • Reply 58 of 78
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    [QUOTE=Vox Barbara]You nailed it. I just can't remember *any* so called eye candy

UI finish in MacOs, that has no compelling practical reason, too.

Well.. I thing the ripple stuff when activating a dashboard widget is a little over the top, and it locks mechine.. not good.
  • Reply 59 of 78
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic

I bet Vista is going to have a massive amount of problems. .

Ding, Ding, Ding.

You got that right.
  • Reply 60 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin

Two things?

One:

It is still AppleInsider; if I wanted to read about Vista, I would do that within my Windows IT day job, and on a Windows-centric forum? (and Vista is far, far away from being used in our offices yet, gotta let others do M$s extended beta testing?)

Two:

Dude, the forum classification is Temp. Insanity, and it is now 52 hours until Stev-o hits the stage? If that doesen't inspire 'Blind Apple partisanship' I don't know what does?!

;^p

although i agree that this is a forum to talk about apple products etc., this topic is not totally focused on vista and i think it is something that most people wouldn't mind talking about.

and the topic does clearly state "Vista VS Leopard" so it's not like anyone is forcing you to look at it..