Mac Keyboards: Ergonomic anyone??

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK, I'm a noob and just migrated to iMac. Where the hell does one get an ergonomic Mac keyboard?? After years of using the MS ergonomic keyboard for PC, I just can't get used to this BC time warp of plastic that assumes one has minute hands and fingers of a midget. The Mac mouse is the same. Luckily I can replace it with the Logitech laser cordless G7. I saw one online keyboard store but it's friggin expensive like $99 USD located stateside. I live in Toronto, Canada. The shipping and customs/duties would make it an unrealistic purchase. Does anyone know of ergonomic Mac boards available within Toronto/GTA or within Canada??

Thanks guys.

/...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Just use the microsoft one, if it's USB.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    The people I know (including myself) who tend to like the Apple mice and keyboard tend to keep their hands away from the action. It's one of those odd habits that may be part nature and part nurture.

Speaking of, I'm looking for a new keyboard for my PC. I used to use a white Apple USB keyboard, but it broke, and I need a new one. I'd just as well order a new Apple Keyboard, but it would be easier to expense a keyboard that doesn't cost $60. I'm looking for a good one, if anyone has any ideas. I like the white Apple USB keyboard. I actually like its feel immensely.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I really don't like the Apple desktop keyboard at all:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=63809

I bought a cheapy nasty PC one as shown in the thread and it's way better than the Apple one IMO but it feels tacky and like it's going to break any minute. Plus some keys are fading already. I just wish I could get the kensington slimtype keyboard in the UK.

I much prefer the laptop-style keyboards after using the powerbook.

What really bugs me about the Apple keyboard is that really old beige Mac and PC keyboard seem to feel more comfortable, requiring softer keypresses.

If the made a fullsize desktop powerbook keyboard that was slim and light, I'd buy it in a second.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toronto_Boy

OK, I'm a noob and just migrated to iMac. Where the hell does one get an ergonomic Mac keyboard?? After years of using the MS ergonomic keyboard for PC, I just can't get used to this BC time warp of plastic that assumes one has minute hands and fingers of a midget. The Mac mouse is the same. Luckily I can replace it with the Logitech laser cordless G7. I saw one online keyboard store but it's friggin expensive like $99 USD located stateside. I live in Toronto, Canada. The shipping and customs/duties would make it an unrealistic purchase. Does anyone know of ergonomic Mac boards available within Toronto/GTA or within Canada??

Thanks guys.

/...

why are you so mad the keyboard is fine to me
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel

The people I know (including myself) who tend to like the Apple mice and keyboard tend to keep their hands away from the action. It's one of those odd habits that may be part nature and part nurture.

Speaking of, I'm looking for a new keyboard for my PC. I used to use a white Apple USB keyboard, but it broke, and I need a new one. I'd just as well order a new Apple Keyboard, but it would be easier to expense a keyboard that doesn't cost $60. I'm looking for a good one, if anyone has any ideas. I like the white Apple USB keyboard. I actually like its feel immensely.

Check out resellers and third party stores. Many sell apple keyboards or cheaper knock-offs. Shouldn't be too hard. I know a reseller that has genuine mac kb. He would sell it to me for $35. Too bad you live stateside.

/...
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO

why are you so mad the kebord is fine to me

If you have hands of a midget! I like my fingers spread out a little bit. For me it's an easier way to type like the MS kb. Unfortunately, MS kb doesn't have the same mac key functions.

/...
  • Reply 7 of 15
    OK, here's a link. Froogle has some results. Didn't know Best Buy sells one.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...Search+Froogle

/...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    lakingsfnlakingsfn Posts: 141member
    I'd try macmall.com and see what they have to offer.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

If you have hands of a midget! I like my fingers spread out a little bit. For me it's an easier way to type like the MS kb. Unfortunately, MS kb doesn't have the same mac key functions.

don't make fun of my tiny hands
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

/...

C.A.T.S are you a midget?

You know what they say about tiny hands...
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Tiny keyboards.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

C.A.T.S are you a midget?

no i am not a miget but i am exactly 5' tall
  • Reply 13 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

Tiny gloves?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Unfortunately, MS kb doesn't have the same mac key functions.

That's not a problem. The software called controllermate for OS X lets you reprogram the keys. The Windows key acts like the Mac command key by default. I'm using a PC keyboard and I've assigned all the standard Mac functions (e.g volume control) and more to the media keys. It works great and I'm not going to buy another Apple keyboard until they make a powerbook-style one.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I have an apple keyboard and I'm not really a big fan. My Initial thought was "wow this keyboard will be really easy to clean!" But in reality the clear bottom and sides allows the world to see all the hair thats falling out of my head, the crumbs of a million lunches and all the sick dust that I breath every day. I've also become sick of the actual key actions, if you hit the keys off center, happens most when I'm typing quickly, the key sticks making it hard to get momentum.

I'm in the market for a new keyboard, maybe we'll see on e today.

flick.