The Best 120gb internal hard drive for a Quicksilver 2002 Powermac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Any suggestions for a quiet and fast internal harddrive?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    WD120JB, nuff said.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    tooltool Posts: 242member
    I have 2 western digital 120GB HD's..nice and quiet. Both are teh WD1200JB "special edition" with 8MB cache. <a href="http://www.newegg.com"; target="_blank">www.newegg.com</a> has them for $159 with free shipping.

WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 120GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD1200JB - OEM, DRIVE ONLY

Specifications:

Size: 120 Gigabytes

Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA100

Seek time: 8.9ms

RPM:7200

Cache 8MB

OEM(Drive alone) 3 Year Manufacturer Warranty
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I have the same hard disk running on my iMac too, I love it.

Kenneth
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Thanks guys for the info.

Now that I know what to get,, can you tell me exactly how I'd go about installing it? Which cable goes to where.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Start by telling us if you want the new drive the be your main drive or just for storage, if you want to do a clean install afterwards, ect.

[ 09-22-2002: Message edited by: smithjoel ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 18
    It would be my secondary drive, for storing digital photos and downloading video.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Doh! I just saw the topic header..a powermac. Easiest one to install new HD's.

I can take pics of mine if you want..and post tomorrow.

[ 09-22-2002: Message edited by: TOOL ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Thanks Tool, I'd appreciate it.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Yeah, thanks alot, you tool.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    For the jumper settings, check here: <a href="http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/jumpers.asp"; target="_blank">http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/jumpers.asp</a>;

Here are some crummy pics of the cable connections..it's really easy.

• Reply 11 of 18
    I am also thinking of adding a second drive. Should I install it on the ATA 66 bus by itself or with the factory drive on the ATA 100 bus. (I have a new G4 DDR)
  • Reply 12 of 18
    by its self
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Why on the 66? Does the 100 have 2 inputs? I would hook it up there...
  • Reply 14 of 18
    [quote] Why on the 66? Does the 100 have 2 inputs? I would hook it up there... <hr></blockquote>

The bus speed would be split between the two drives then. So you would have two ATA 50 buses instead of one 100 and one 66 (I believe).
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Question, the Seagate harddrive that came with my Powermac has a 2mb buffer and 9.5 ms avg seek time.

The Western Digital 120 Special Edition Harddrive has a 8mb buffer and 8.9 ms seek time.

Both spin at 7200, should I assume that the Western Digital would be quite a bit faster?

If it is then isn't it a good idea to make it the Master Harddrive and the Seagate the slave?
  • Reply 16 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by TOOL:

<strong>Why on the 66? Does the 100 have 2 inputs? I would hook it up there...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I couldn't get MacOS9 to boot from the 100 bus. Adding my old drive to the 66 bus and booting into OS 9was no problem. But the System does not see the partitions on the main drive (on the 100 bus).
  • Reply 17 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by blang:

<strong>Question, the Seagate harddrive that came with my Powermac has a 2mb buffer and 9.5 ms avg seek time.

The Western Digital 120 Special Edition Harddrive has a 8mb buffer and 8.9 ms seek time.

Both spin at 7200, should I assume that the Western Digital would be quite a bit faster?

If it is then isn't it a good idea to make it the Master Harddrive and the Seagate the slave?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes the WD drive will be much faster. Not only does it have the larger buffer, but also probably has higher data density:

Same spin speed + higer data density = faster data transfer rates

No, making the WD a master won't make it run any faster. What you should do, however is make the WD drive your boot drive. That way your startup and all system related disc access will utilize the faster WD drive.

<a href="http://www.storagereview.com"; target="_blank">Storage Review</a> has great hard drive comparisions. They determined that the WD SE drivers are as fast as high end SCSI drives for nonserver applications. In other words, it's a great drive.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Thanks for the info.

I don't mean to sound ignorant but can you explain what the difference is between Master and Boot drive?

I thought by making the WD the Master drive, it would be the boot drive, please explain the difference.

Also if you can tell me how I make it the boot drive (jumper settings) I'd appreciate it.

(dygysy=blang, changed my name to dygysy on office computer)