Mac mini as LAN disk drive

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a Mac mini at the office and I want to make it a disk drive for everybody to access (everybody meaning about 12 Macs with both Panther and Tiger operating systems).

So I have connected the mini Mac to the LAN and I have set all it's sharing files types on and apple talk on as well (on automatic setting), but I can't directly access the files from him (by files I mean different Office files, or images). I think I kinda lost myself trying to configure this.

The main thing in wich I am interested in is to create a disk image (or a partition if a disk image is not possible) on this mini Mac (about 50 GB from it's 80) on wich all the other Macs could log on to and to be able to work on (I mean to have read/write privilegies as well as opening files from the Mac mini directly and at the same time).

My question is, what settings do I need to do from the network, sharing and accounts prefpane (and maybe from other settings too) in order for me to use this Mac mini as I stated upwords?

Also after you guys tell me how to do this I want to install SuperDuper on the Mac mini and to program him to do a backup on a firewire disk drive every night.

10x alot, I wait for your answers with huge interest

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    The simpliest thing is to create a common account on the Mac mini server. Give everyone access to the common account.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    I have suceeded to install a Mini Mac as a LAN disk drive. It works GREAT, but I have a big problem: IT DOESN"T ALLOW MORE THAN 10 LOGINS on the account at the same time. How can I change this to allow more than 10 users? The thing is that I need 14.

Thank you guys, and I hope I you can help me with this too because the Mini Mac works great, much better than the previous "Linksys" LAN disk drive that we had.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Artanis

I have suceeded to install a Mini Mac as a LAN disk drive. It works GREAT, but I have a big problem: IT DOESN"T ALLOW MORE THAN 10 LOGINS on the account at the same time. How can I change this to allow more than 10 users? The thing is that I need 14.

Thank you guys, and I hope I you can help me with this too because the Mini Mac works great, much better than the previous "Linksys" LAN disk drive that we had.

Maybe due to the OS version you have, this sounds like Server OS is needed to me. If you have a version of OSX server, give that a try.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I think you need Unlimited CALs.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brendon

Maybe due to the OS version you have, this sounds like Server OS is needed to me. If you have a version of OSX server, give that a try.

I know, but I was hopping for some kind of super setting from u guys .

When cruising today on the apple website to see the new Mac Pro I noticed that an ugrade to OS X Unlimited Server costs 400 $ extra. For me 400$ extra means a top of the line LAN disk drive. I was hoping to do something wih the Mac Mini, which if it wasn't an entirely free resource it was no problem, but I am not going to spend 400 $ for 4 users more connected to my Mini Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Artanis

I know, but I was hopping for some kind of super setting from u guys .

When cruising today on the apple website to see the new Mac Pro I noticed that an ugrade to OS X Unlimited Server costs 400 $ extra. For me 400$ extra means a top of the line LAN disk drive. I was hoping to do something wih the Mac Mini, which if it wasn't an entirely free resource it was no problem, but I am not going to spend 400 $ for 4 users more connected to my Mini Mac.

Which Mini? Intel? If so you could use Parallels or bootcamp and Linux or BSD, if bootcamp supports that, I would think so, but don't kow for sure. The other guy had the name for it CALs or Client Access License, you can search but I found no hacks to change this. It would be in a hidden unix file, so you would have to go in through Terminal, figure out how to "show hidden" so you can see the directories / folders amd files. Then you wold have to nose around until you found the file. And then you would have to figure out how to change it without causing any damage, which is possible. If it were me I would use linux or BSD on an old PC, they will file serve all day and never complain.