System Preferences gone

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a Mac with Tiger set up in my conference room and some smart dude deleted the System Preferences shortcut from the desktop. Now when I go to the "apple" up in the bar and I click System Preferences it doesn't start the System Preferences pane anymore. What can I do? Are there some files that I can import from another Mac with Tiger in order to have the System Preferences back?

10x

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    put the System Preferences application back into the Applications folder. Try doing a Spotlight search for "System Preferences". Maybe it wasn't thrown away, just misplaced?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Yeah, you can copy System Preferences.app from another Mac. It's in /Applications.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    I copied the application from another Mac with Tiger. Thank you.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Ok, quick answer to an unasked question:

If you threw away the 'shortcut' (it's called an alias on MacOS X), and then Spotlight couldn't find the original, and attempting to launch it from the Apple menu didn't work either... you threw away the original, and mistook it for an alias.

General rule: don't move apps out of /Applications.

More stringent rule: don't move Apple-supplied apps out of /Applications. They won't get updated correctly when you run a System Update.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    Ok, 10x, I will keep that in mind
  • Reply 6 of 7
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    wouldn't 'system update...' find and fix such a problem? (i think it should...)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You'd think, but no. What'll happen is it will dump the updated files in Applications, leaving a broken half-app sitting there, and not touch the one you moved.

Personally, I have all my applications over in /Users/Shared/Applications with an alias in /Applications/UserApplications. The only things in /Applications are Apple supplied apps. (Makes backing up easier too.)