Official Mac Pro Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Reply 21 of 112
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    As usual, Apple deliver another update to the Mac, and want to sell me something I dont want to buy. - Let alone the usual extremely expensive price conversion to UK pounds.

But the mac Pro is a nice computer - but for the utterly ridiculous GeForce 7300GT's. This is a crappy CRAPPY budget card.
  • Reply 22 of 112
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Wondered the same thing, but EVERY OTHER MAC has it so I think it will.

Well, I haven't seen Front Row mentioned on any of the Mac Pro spec pages yet.

5 million BTO specs may be too many, the Apple Store is so bogged down, I can't look at the possible configs.
  • Reply 23 of 112
    Amusing.. Apple will let you downgrade to the 2 ghz Xeons for $300 less. That's gotta be a first.
  • Reply 24 of 112
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    FYI, the 2.00GHz 5130's are 40W and $316 per, the 2.33GHz 5140's are 65W and $445 per, and the 3.0GHZ 5160's are 80W and $851 per. Not sure where the 2.66GHz comes from, since it's not listed in the 20-July "Electronic Design Monthly" sidebar I'm looking at. I suppose it's quite likely an up-clocked 5140.

But what I like the most is that Intel finally has a suitable equal to Altivec.
  • Reply 25 of 112
    There is a Xeon 5150 (2.66 Ghz)
  • Reply 26 of 112
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK

As usual, Apple deliver another update to the Mac, and want to sell me something I dont want to buy. - Let alone the usual extremely expensive price conversion to UK pounds.

But the mac Pro is a nice computer - but for the utterly ridiculous GeForce 7300GT's. This is a crappy CRAPPY budget card.

So throw in four of them instead. You can....

Just configured the best MacPro you can buy. Only, $16,335. It is SWEEEET though.

I love doing that!

Oh, Free Shipping! Let me sell my cars and buy this thing!
  • Reply 27 of 112
    kkapoorkkapoor Posts: 25member
    Does one really need anything more then a Dual 2.0 GHz Xeon? I'm wondering if I should get a standard config or save some cash on the CPU's and spend it on something else. What do you think?
  • Reply 28 of 112
    Base price $2199.

I wish I wish I wish I wish I didn't click on the configurator on Apple's webstore.
  • Reply 29 of 112
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    2124 if you downgrade to a 160 HD
  • Reply 30 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackbauer

Amusing.. Apple will let you downgrade to the 2 ghz Xeons for $300 less. That's gotta be a first.

but they make you pay $300 to go from 1gig to 2 gig.
  • Reply 31 of 112
    It looks like you can have 4 video cards but not in sli and it does not say what speed the slots are at.
  • Reply 32 of 112
    No on board raid as well.
  • Reply 33 of 112
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    As a workstation, Apple corrected everything that was wrong with the G5. The only thing needed are new displays, not price drops to slighly outrageous instead of insane. Apple hit a grandslam in the pro segment.
  • Reply 34 of 112
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon

but they make you pay $300 to go from 1gig to 2 gig.

FB-DIMMs are great, but not exactly cheap. It's not like this computer is in anyway aimed at consumers.
  • Reply 35 of 112
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

So throw in four of them instead. You can....

Yes but throwing in 4 of them does nothing except allow me to run 8 screens. They don't work in SLI, and SLI is generally crap to OK anyhow.

Why cant I buy a single dual core 2.3 or 2.6 xeon or Conroe, a mid range graphics card, in a mid-small form factor? Crazy.
  • Reply 36 of 112
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon

It's too bad there is no sli / cross fire. Not only will amd 4x4 let you use that it will use cheaper non sever ram.

You never have anything useful or positive to say. That said, I love the "ignore this user" option. Goodbye.

This is the PowerMac...errr, MacPro I've been waiting four years for. Now where's my checkbook?
  • Reply 37 of 112
    I like this machine. Finally more drives, and not just 3 but 4. What about the drive sleds though? Are they the same as xServe? And more importantly, are they included with the machine? I mean, if you buy a machine with just 1 drive, and plan to buy more drives from somewhere else, does the machine include all 4 sleds, or will we have to buy those from Apple?

That is the only way I can see that they might screw up what looks otherwise to be a very reasonably priced high end machine. Good job Apple.
  • Reply 38 of 112
    I'll answer my own question: it comes with 4 sleds. Very cool.
  • Reply 39 of 112
    Quote:

Yes but throwing in 4 of them does nothing except allow me to run 8 screens. They don't work in SLI, and SLI is generally crap to OK anyhow.

Why cant I buy a single dual core 2.3 or 2.6 xeon or Conroe, a mid range graphics card, in a mid-small form factor? Crazy.

likely the 3 other cards are not running at full x16 speed.

Apple will lose the $800 - $1600 computer market if don't do something fast.
  • Reply 40 of 112
    Quote:

Sounds to me as if you're wanting Apple to sell you a Dell box. Or allow you a one-stop BTO store so you don't have to run around to Newegg, et al to put your peices together. If you want a mid-high range gaming box, put one together yourself, config one from Dell or some such. If you want a high end workstation with plenty of power and options at a really good price point that also happens to be able to do a decent job of running Windows games, then get a Mac Pro (or even an iMac if your demands are light) and laugh and be happy all the way home.