are the new 1.25 being fabbed by IBM???

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm just wondering here since motorola's PPC page still says their top chip is 1Ghz, so could IBM be fabbing the same chip for Apple with better numbers?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    If the chip is the 7455, then Moto makes it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Some 74xxs are (were?) fabbed by IBM, but I don't know if the 1.25s are.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Technically (legally) doesn't Moto (or IBM) have to update their website to reflect the changes? 167Mhz bus and 1.25Ghz?

errr something...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    IBM had never fabbed a G4. Apple asked them to, but I think that fell through. 74xx is a model number only Motorola uses. IBM doesn't make G4s, just G3s.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Kecksy is right. IBM has never made G4s.

Currently, IBM only makes the G3s for Apple.

The Power 4s, on the other hand...

[ 09-25-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 7
    so when Brad? this is from 10/01 (so a year old)....

[quote] Future Roadmap

Enhancements to the current POWER4 system in the coming years will take several directions.

We are in the process of leveraging newer technologies to allow us to increase frequency while further decreasing power. We have already stated we will exploit IBM's low-k technology employed in their 0.13 _m lithography process. We will aggressively increase processor frequencies to the 2+ GHz range while maintaining the system balance our current design offers. <hr></blockquote>

sounds good...but coming to apple when? and with altivec? g
  • Reply 7 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>sounds good...but coming to apple when? and with altivec?</strong><hr></blockquote>I'll leave that to the Future Hardware forum and my top-secret iChat buddy list.