Official Mac Pro Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Reply 41 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d.mantic

I'll answer my own question: it comes with 4 sleds. Very cool.

I was wondering about that myself, since Apple seems only to want to sell you 500 gig units for the 3 extra bays. Some may want that much, but a little less would meet more needs at a lower price point.
  • Reply 42 of 112
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon

likely the 3 other cards are not running at full x16 speed.

Apple will lose the $800 - $1600 computer market if don't do something fast.

They already have. Why do think HP and Dell sell over 2/3rds of all computers?
  • Reply 43 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anklosaur

Sounds to me as if you're wanting Apple to sell you a Dell box. Or allow you a one-stop BTO store so you don't have to run around to Newegg, et al to put your peices together. If you want a mid-high range gaming box, put one together yourself, config one from Dell or some such. If you want a high end workstation with plenty of power and options at a really good price point that also happens to be able to do a decent job of running Windows games, then get a Mac Pro (or even an iMac if your demands are light) and laugh and be happy all the way home.

I want to build my own mid-high range system and run mac os x on it. Apple if you not going to let use build are own systems you can at lest come out with a mid-range mac.

and why does your high end workstation not have high end video to go with it?
  • Reply 44 of 112
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    The 7300GT might be crappy, but I guess it's all you need if you work in, say... a recording studio... It's a good thing they make a low budget card available imo.
  • Reply 45 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig

They already have. Why do think HP and Dell sell over 2/3rds of all computers?

they can say all they want about how much better there os is. But with hardware like what they have how can they hope to be better then vista with games and other people who want mid-range systems?
  • Reply 46 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre

The 7300GT might be crappy, but I guess it's all you need if you work in, say... a recording studio... It's a good thing they make a low budget card available imo.

A machine like the Mac Pro will likely only exist in the most high end studios.
  • Reply 47 of 112
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig

A machine like the Mac Pro will likely only exist in the most high end studios.

I disagree. The Powermac G5 is in just about every studio I've ever been in, from home studios to high end studios. Since the Mac Pro is actually cheaper than the PowerMac, i'd say it's a safe bet that when it comes time for studios to upgrade, it will be to the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 48 of 112
    Quote:

they can say all they want about how much better there os is. But with hardware like what they have how can they hope to be better then vista with games and other people who want mid-range systems?

I basically said this in another thread, but add core 2 and a P965 motherboard (and a card reader in place the first hard drive carrier) to the Mac Pro case, and Apple could kick Dell, HP, and Gateway's asses in the prosumer segment. Excuse the language of course. The Mac Pro case is simply the best Apple or anyone else has ever come up with.
  • Reply 49 of 112
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

I was wondering about that myself, since Apple seems only to want to sell you 500 gig units for the 3 extra bays. Some may want that much, but a little less would meet more needs at a lower price point.

Yeah, I wanted to BTO with two 160's for out-of-the-box RAID but whatever.
  • Reply 50 of 112
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Sounds to me as if you're wanting Apple to sell you a Dell box. Or allow you a one-stop BTO store so you don't have to run around to Newegg, et al to put your peices together. If you want a mid-high range gaming box, put one together yourself, config one from Dell or some such. If you want a high end workstation with plenty of power and options at a really good price point that also happens to be able to do a decent job of running Windows games, then get a Mac Pro (or even an iMac if your demands are light) and laugh and be happy all the way home.

Rubbish, I want Apple to sell me an Apple Box. The Mac Pro is a very nice (perhaps the best) 64 bit high end Workstation (with a shit GPU) which is great if you want a very nice 64bit high end workstation.

But I dont. I want a mac, with a Core 2 Duo 2.4 - 2.6, an X1800 class GPU, 1 - 2 Gig Ram, 160 GB Hard Disk and OSX in a reasonable box. I don't mind paying a bit more for that over building a PC, but its not worth to me paying about £700 more($1200) for a Mac Pro than a PC- AND I dont want a frelling Screen attached to it And if i was going to pay £1700 for a computer, it better have a crossfire X1900 XTX in it as standard.

That is the spec of an average 'Enthusiast' PC, which is all I want. Apple gives me the choice of a mac mini (great general basic computer - but not for me) iMac (great computer for the masses - bit underpowered BUILT IN SCREEN) or MacPro (massively over specced).

Its just lame.
  • Reply 51 of 112
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun

I disagree. The Powermac G5 is in just about every studio I've ever been in, from home studios to high end studios. Since the Mac Pro is actually cheaper than the PowerMac, i'd say it's a safe bet that when it comes time for studios to upgrade, it will be to the Mac Pro.

Exactly, and even if it'd appear in only the most high end recording studio's, why would they use Quadro FX cards if the 7300 GT will show the GUI of their recording software just as good...
  • Reply 52 of 112
    Quote:

I want to build my own mid-high range system and run mac os x on it. Apple if you not going to let use build are own systems you can at lest come out with a mid-range mac.

and why does your high end workstation not have high end video to go with it?

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but there is a mid-range box that will run OS X... the iMac. Granted, you're not going to get 200 fps in Quake 4, or 60 fps in Oblivion (outdoors at 1280x1024 or whatever). Hell, even an X1900XT or 7900GTX is quickly brought to it's knees by the likes of Oblivion and the next gen games being developed, but for the vast majority of the consumers out there, the iMac delivers an excellent computing experience performing a wide range of functions at a price point that can't be beat (despite what anyone else would like to think), running OS X. Apple isn't selling you a box to run Windows on, it's selling the best general computing experience around for 99% of their potential customers, which just happens to have a killer ability to run Windows either virtually or as a startup evironment.

And, as for high end video, config your Mac Pro with an X1900XT or the Quadro 4500.
  • Reply 53 of 112
    Quote:

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but there is a mid-range box that will run OS X... the iMac.

I very nearly bought an iMac, but at the end of the day, im not going to throw away a 24" LCD for a built in 20".
  • Reply 54 of 112
    Do I have this correct? With several hard drives on board, I could conceivable load OSX onto one, and the n with Boot Camp load Windows on the second internal, thereby having two totally different OSs in one box? Does Boot Camp allow this to happen on two drives like this?
  • Reply 55 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcUK

That is the spec of an average 'Enthusiast' PC, which is all I want. Apple gives me the choice of a mac mini (great general basic computer - but not for me) iMac (great computer for the masses - bit underpowered BUILT IN SCREEN) or MacPro (massively over specced).

Its just lame.

Apple doesn't what to sell an average 'Enthusiast' PC, that market, like it or not, isn't nearly as big as it is vocal IMHO. Apple wants to sell exactly what you say they offer...

Great general basic computers

Great computers for the masses (underpowered for you, not the masses)

Great professional workstations (not massively over specced for the intended audience)

Dell can't make money selling Enthusiast PCs, why would we expect Apple to do so? Enthusiast PCs are best left to niche marketers (who offer exotic configs) and the build it yourself market which is more than saturated with quality cheap components. Yes, that means running Windows, but if you're going to spend the majority of your time in-game, what's the difference? Consoles scoop up the rest. Like it or not, there's not that much money in the gaming PC market compared to the general computing market to make it worthwhile for anyone, let alone Apple, to cater to it.

For that matter, at the price of a Mac Pro configured the way you want it, you could just about put together a bare box gaming PC with the high end graphics you want and pickup a 20" iMac for your general computing needs and have the best of both worlds for not that much more scratch.
  • Reply 56 of 112
    Quote:

I very nearly bought an iMac, but at the end of the day, im not going to throw away a 24" LCD for a built in 20".

You could attach the 24" to the video port and run 2 headed also. Just a thought.
  • Reply 57 of 112
    Quote:

that is why only haveing AIO to get a video card that can play games with out going for a pro system is bad for apple and is keeping people form switching
  • Reply 58 of 112
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

You could attach the 24" to the video port and run 2 headed also. Just a thought.

An excellent thought actually.
  • Reply 59 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun

Cheaper than the quads, not the $1999 single dual core 970MP machine or the $1499 single processor machines they sold.
  • Reply 60 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

An excellent thought actually.

As much as I love screen space, the thought of that is a bit silly. I dont think your evaluation of the enthusiast market is good. Virtually every manufacturer has high end systems for the pro-sumers that are a step below the workstation class, but a step above average. Except Apple.

Btw I used to have a low end G4 tower. That was a good pro-sumer machine. Right Price, Good spec for the time. Now there is nothing. Even the low end G5 range of towers catered for the pro-sumers.