Bluetooth Dongle question ?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just installed a bluetooth dongle to run a wireless Mac Mouse.

Everything works fine except that I am unable to wake

the Mac from sleep when it is connected.

Need to reboot to start.

Anyone know what could cause this ?

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    This is soooooo a bad time... You probably want to ask again in three or so hours....
  • Reply 2 of 3
    As near as I can tell, you can't "Wake from sleep" with a BT dongle (only with installed BT.)

The option is there, in BT Prefs, but it is greyed-out when BT comes from a dongle.

edit: ...

I may have misread your meaning... you should certainly be able to wake the computer from sleep, just not by using the BT keyboard or mouse. A wired device should wake it, or tapping the power button should wake it. If not, then something isn't working the way it ought to... maybe a preferences setting, or maybe a driver conflict ? Try fixing permissions on the startup drive... I really don't know why, but that sometimes fixes tons of little problems.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

As near as I can tell, you can't "Wake from sleep" with a BT dongle (only with installed BT.)

The option is there, in BT Prefs, but it is greyed-out when BT comes from a dongle.

This is exactly correct.

Quote:

edit: ...

I may have misread your meaning... you should certainly be able to wake the computer from sleep, just not by using the BT keyboard or mouse. A wired device should wake it, or tapping the power button should wake it. If not, then something isn't working the way it ought to... maybe a preferences setting, or maybe a driver conflict ?

This is also correct except that a a fixed keyboard (wired)

will not wake it either if the bluetooth mouse was active

when it went to sleep.

Quote:

Try fixing permissions on the startup drive...

I really don't know why, but that sometimes fixes

tons of little problems.

Thanks but I'm not sure what permissions you mean here.

Thank you for expressing my problem so well.