iMac 233mhz

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A guy at my college has an iMac with 233mhz 64ram 4 gig hd. What would you say it is worth because I am going to buy it from him. I already have it in my hands and I am installing 9.2.2 on it right now. So if you guys could help me out with a price that would be great.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    $350 Tops
  • Reply 2 of 20
    i would say about 100-150 ish, my dads work, a college sold some old powermacs and they went for about 200 up depending on what they would offer you, i got a 350 b/w powermac 128mb ram 6gb hard drive with a 17 inch studio for 200 so id have to say an imac 233 would be in range of about 150ish to 200, but i wouldnt think more

just my 2 cents
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I have another question I stuck in my OS 9.2.2 cd and it says I have to update the firmware for the computer, and it is located in the CD Extra folder. Easy enough I go in that folder and I can't find no firmware update in that folder at all. If any one can tell me what exactly the file is named that would help!

Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    i just sold my rev A. iMac for 250.00

233Mhz

160MB

6GB
  • Reply 5 of 20
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    ~$200

I bought mine for fifty...
  • Reply 6 of 20
    I'd give up to 200 for it ... keep in mind you can get a brand-new G3 imac for less than 800(with OSX, more ram, bigger drive, etc)

Also ... you'll eventually need to upgrade that to run OS X ... so figure in the cost of the ram you want.

Otherwise it should make a good computer ... I'm still using a 266 iMac on a daily basis.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Thank's for the help I'm going to tell him I will give him 125$ it but not int'll I get the Disks with it. I am having a hell of a time trying to find atleast 8.1 to get it started no luck so far. I'm basicly going to upgrade the ram and than put 9.2.2 or some thing and just use it as a little server or some thing along those lines.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Hi,

Replace one of those 32MB chips with a 128MB or 256MB chips and there you have it - 'the low-end of a perfecect Jaguar Machine'. I have a iMac rev-b machine with 160MB of ram running 10.1.3 and it works. I will upgrade it to 10.2 and I assume that I will get better performance. Anyway dont feel locked to OS 9 with a rev-b iMac - with enough RAM it will run Jaguar at an acceptable speed.

-Snowster
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Consider getting more RAM, and a bigger faster HD. It will cost you $150 tops to do that, and will be money well spent.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    I'd just get a iMac 500Mhz.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    I've got one, with maxed RAM, maxed VRAM (8MB), and I put in a large 7200rpm drive a number of months ago. It's livable. I'm hoping the Sonnet Harmoni upgrade goes down in price by about 50% soon, in which case it would be a decent investment in order to keep this machine (I'm planning on upgrading to a brand new portable in a few months, or weeks).

With the upgrades, and the condition (great), plus I've got a lot of peripherals to go with it, and hundreds of dollars worth of software on it (not to mention Jaguar retail), so I wouldn't consider selling it for less than an iPod. 10GB, if I can find a sucker in the area (which I think I have ). But that's all up in the air. I'd like to keep it as a backup/server machine. And just because I lurv it.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    [quote]Originally posted by bradbower:

<strong>I've got one, with maxed RAM, maxed VRAM (8MB), and I put in a large 7200rpm drive a number of months ago. It's livable. I'm hoping the Sonnet Harmoni upgrade goes down in price by about 50% soon, in which case it would be a decent investment in order to keep this machine (I'm planning on upgrading to a brand new portable in a few months, or weeks).

With the upgrades, and the condition (great), plus I've got a lot of peripherals to go with it, and hundreds of dollars worth of software on it (not to mention Jaguar retail), so I wouldn't consider selling it for less than an iPod. 10GB, if I can find a sucker in the area (which I think I have ). But that's all up in the air. I'd like to keep it as a backup/server machine. And just because I lurv it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I haven't heard of a 8MB SGRAM for the original iMac, I put a 4MB SGRAM on top of the stock 2MB. Indeed, I upgraded the CPU to 500MHz and the onboard FireWire port. Too bad, this thing is soon to be posted on eBay.

Kenneth
  • Reply 13 of 20
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    There's a discontinued (of course) 3dfx Voodoo 2 graphics upgrade that you can put in the mezzanine slot. It's a very involved upgrade and it is only supported by OS 9, but if you manage to find the card, buy it, and install it, you'll have faster 8 MB graphics. Is that what you have?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Don't forget a 233MHz iMac will be worth a lot of money someday. It's destined to become a classic like the Apple I or original Macintosh.

In 20 years, collectors will pay big bucks for an original Bondi iMac (that still works). It signaled a new direction for Apple and the rest of the computer industry, placing an emphasis on aesthetics.

When you replace your Bondi iMac, don't throw it away. Box it up and keep it for 20 years. Then put it up on eBay and use the money you got for it to buy a new G10 PowerMac.

[ 10-02-2002: Message edited by: Kecksy ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 20
    LOL currently I also have 2 classic macs that both work. I wouldn't throw it away, I basicly bought because I just wanted an orginal iMac.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    I have the Rev "A" iMac. If you want to seriously use it, but it won't be your top system then I'd keep it the way it is, and run OS 8.6 That's what I ran up until this summer. I tried OS 9 and it was slow and buggy and it wasn't a necessary upgrade for anything I needed except iTools, which now isn't even free. OS 8.6 is the last Mac OS designed for that generation of Macs and it runs smooth, stable and smart on the 233 iMac. If this thing is a pure toythat you want running optimal, choose 8.6. You should be able to find the 8.5 disks second-hand for pretty cheap and 8.6 is still a free download from Apple. 8.1 stank. It was basically beta-ware from Apple, a bridge that allowed them to release a computer with USB. It wasn't good, and 8.5 was actually worse, but 8.6 was Juuuuuust Right!

The 233 G3 processor won't run OS X properly, no matter what you do. If you've got money to burn and wanting to squeeze the absolute best performance out of it, then I'd maybe replace the 32 MB in the top RAM slot with a 64 or 128. Any more than that makes your processor and video chipset a toss-up for the bottleneck. If it's not upgraded to the max 6 MB SGRAM, I'd do that for sure. It's super cheap and makes a difference. I ran mine from the first day they went on sale with only the 6 MB SGRAM upgrade and a total of 96 MB SDRAM. I probably should have got 196 but the 128 chip was a lot more money at the time than the 64, being how it was powerbook RAM.

If it hasn't already, there's a good chance your CD-ROM drive will crap out. When it does, there is an aftermarket internal CD-RW that will fit just fine. It was released about 2 months after I had to replace my CD-ROM drive (this past winter) and it was a real pisser, let me tell you. The cost is darn close and having a burner in that puppy is nice I hear. Of course you have other macs and you could back up and transfer files with ethernet, so maybe that won't matter to you.

Enjoy your new toy!
  • Reply 17 of 20
    I have a Rev A 233Mhz iMac (first one sold at Reno CompUSA!) that I installed a 3dfx Voodoo card in the mezzanine slot (that was VERY scary). I also upgraded the Mac to 96MB RAM. It was a great improvement over my old Quadra 700 at the time. Since then, I've upgraded it to MacOS 10.1.5, which DOES run OK, although there's a lot of disk activity whenever I change apps and the like (probably swap file stuff because of the low RAM). I no longer have MacOS 9 on it, and use it only for web surfing and running SETI@home. (It takes 27hours to complete a SETI work unit.) I keep the iMac conveniently located on a counter in the kitchen for ready Internet access (it's also connected to our DSL), and with OS X it's now never turned off. So, it's actually turned into a kitchen appliance! I don't plan to ever upgrade it again. If I ever get rid of it, I'll wipe the hard drive and return it to MacOS 9. It was pretty peppy with the old OS, but it's rock solid stable with OS X, albeit slower. It's fine for occasional web surfing, and has cranked out 135 SETI units over the summer.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    I have an iMac 350 MHz machine (slot loading drive). Anyways, I am currently running Jaguar 10.2.1 and I'm happy to report that it runs smoothly (but a little slow) on my machine and I have never been happier with it.

Then again the recent improvements (upgrades) I have made have helped bring the machine into this century. I replace the 6GB HD that came with the machine with a 7200 Western Digital 100GB HD ($129 at CompUSA).

I replaced the slot-loading CD-Rom with a slot-loading DVD-Rom (the original drive started to blow out over a year ago and it finally got to the point where it would eject everything I put into without even reading the disc).

I found an excellent deal on E-Bay for memory - 256MB SDRAM (PC100/133) for $29.95 each (I bought 2) - brand new, 30 day money back guarantee and a 1 year warranty.

Last, but not least...OS-X!!! I was running 9.2.2 up until 2 months ago. I installed 10.1.5 and finally got a chance to install Jaguar last week!

Like I said, OS-X runs a bit slow on my iMac but it is certainly livable. The stability of being in a freeze-free enviornment should be incentive enough to make the jump to X. I really have not noticed much of a difference in speed between 10.1.5 and 10.2.1, but I love my iMac once again, none-the-less!!!
  • Reply 19 of 20
    You want newer system install disks ? ... I'll GIVE you some... I paid retail for OSX, and now retail for OSX.2, so... I own a license to use both of these systems, but I only use one of them, I will give you my license for X.1 (and the disks to install it)

I just hate to see someone run a Classic OS if they don't need to... I run X.2 on a stock 266 iMac (well, 192MB ram)... it runs great! ... as good as OS9 was (as far as i can remember.)
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Now, let's hear from the lawyers