Briefly: Cinema Display price cuts, keynote stream now available

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Monday enhanced the introduction of its Mac Pro desktops by slashing prices across the aesthetically matching Cinema Display line.

Apple's 30-inch Cinema Display HD model now retails for just $1999, a price cut of $500 from $2499.

Meanwhile, the 23-inch Cinema Display HD saw a $300 reduction from $1299 down to $999.

Finally, Apple shed $100 off the cost of its non-HD 20-inch Cinema Display, bringing the model down to $699.

Keynote stream posted

Apple this afternoon also posted a pre-recorded stream of chief executive Steve Jobs' presentation this morning.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Meanwhile, the 23-inch Cinema Display HD saw a $300 reduction from $1299 down to $99.

Now that would be a saving worth seeing...
  • Reply 2 of 49
    craiger77craiger77 Posts: 133member
    Apparently the specs have also been improved so these are not just the old displays with a price drop.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    acr4acr4 Posts: 100member
    Mmmm, $99 displays. I'll take ten please.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by craiger77

Apparently the specs have also been improved so these are not just the old displays with a price drop.

I was wondering this as well looking at the specs, is this confirmed?
  • Reply 5 of 49
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    A nice drop but Apple’s monitors have never been the best value. HP’s L2335 was the Editor's Choice for monitors in its class. It can Pivot from Portrait to Landscape and comes with a 4 port USB hub!

http://www.macworld.com/2005/02/revi...hlcd/index.php

Even Dell’s UltraSharp 2405FPW is competitive with Apple’s offering.

http://www.macworld.com/2005/12/revi...0fpw/index.php

The best (or worst depending on how you look at it) part is, even with Apple’s price drop both are still cheaper than Apple’s Cinema display.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Why is the botton a quick time movie??

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html
  • Reply 7 of 49
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

Why is the botton a quick time movie??

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html

Why wouldn't it be a QuickTime movie? It always has been.

It's a QuickTime stream. It's from Apple, you know. It's sure as hell not going to be some WMA shit or RealPlayer.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

Why wouldn't it be a QuickTime movie? It always has been.

It's a QuickTime stream. It's from Apple, you know. It's sure as hell not going to be some WMA shit or RealPlayer.

He was asking why the actual button was a QuickTime element.

As far as I know, the answer is to make sure the user can play the movie by testing for QT7, using a QT element to press. If you haven't got QT you can't press the button.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

Apple's 30-inch Cinema Display HD model now retails for just $1999, a price cut of $500 from $2499.

Why do they do this? Why do they wait years to drop the price and then drop it 25%?

By all accounts these monitors have been overpriced for some time now, couldn't they drop a hundred here and a hundred there as the componant prices drop? It would certainly decrease the buyers remorse for people who buy before the huge cut.

I sound like I'm complaining, but I am mostly curious as to the rationale...It seems inelegant.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey

Why do they do this? Why do they wait years to drop the price and then drop it 25%?

By all accounts these monitors have been overpriced for some time now, couldn't they drop a hundred here and a hundred there as the componant prices drop? It would certainly decrease the buyers remorse for people who buy before the huge cut.

I sound like I'm complaining, but I am mostly curious as to the rationale...It seems inelegant.

It's simple:

1) If they can sell more at a high price and thus higher profit margin, more power too them.

2) Technology gets less expensive over time. It is actually cheaper (by how much I don't know) for Apple to produce a 30" LCD this year than 2 years ago.

3) Apple wants to remain competative and pull in new customers whose budget would not allowed for a 30" LCD previously.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    The good news is that the prices on the Canadian store have also dropped. The bad news is that I should have waited a few months to buy my 20 inch display and saved over $200. OUCH.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

It's simple:

But I still don't understand!

Quote:

1) If they can sell more at a high price and thus higher profit margin, more power too them.

Of course. But the impression that I get is that they wern't selling them. People--even die-hard Apple zeolots--were buying Dell monitors because Apple's had become so over priced. Apple pretty much confirms this when they drop the price of something that much all at once.

Quote:

2) Technology gets less expensive over time. It is actually cheaper (by how much I don't know) for Apple to produce a 30" LCD this year than 2 years ago.

Again, I get it. But why let the price get so out of wack?

Quote:

3) Apple wants to remain competative and pull in new customers whose budget would not allowed for a 30" LCD previously.

Amen.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Quote:

But I still don't understand!

Of course. But the impression that I get is that they wern't selling them. People--even die-hard Apple zeolots--were buying Dell monitors because Apple's had become so over priced. Apple pretty much confirms this when they drop the price of something that much all at once.

Again, I get it. But why let the price get so out of wack?

Amen.

The reason for the price drop is because probably this week they will roll out new CinemaDisplays with more features (built-in isight, speakers) at the previous prices. Can't very well charge the same for both. Apple just decided to drop the price on these before hand to clear out inventory, otherwise nobody would buy these if the new ones came out at the same time.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn

The good news is that the prices on the Canadian store have also dropped. The bad news is that I should have waited a few months to buy my 20 inch display and saved over $200. OUCH.

At least you've had the joy of using your 20-incher for a few months instead of waiting. Besides, now you can buy a MacPro and a 30" display and run them both cheaper than a few months ago!
  • Reply 15 of 49
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit

At least you've had the joy of using your 20-incher for a few months instead of waiting. Besides, now you can buy a MacPro and a 30" display and run them both cheaper than a few months ago!

Part of the price reduction is probably also because of the increase in value of the Canadian dollar in the last couple of months.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

It was dropped from $3k to $2.5k at the end of last year. It started out at something like $3299 when first released.

Apple doesn't really seem to do price cuts very often unless the product is updated. Maybe they could do what you suggest but maybe there are retail considerations.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    Damnit!

• Reply 18 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85

Damnit!

Has anyone made backups? I had difficulties with the MacWorld Expo keynote, I wasn't able to watch it until a couple months ago. The streaming video didn't work for either of the two ISPs that I tried, I wish it was just a straight download.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Has anyone made backups? I had difficulties with the MacWorld Expo keynote, I wasn't able to watch it until a couple months ago. The streaming video didn't work for either of the two ISPs that I tried, I wish it was just a straight download.

here's part of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6JWqllbhXE
  • Reply 20 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85

here's part of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6JWqllbhXE

As I said, I've already seen that, but several months after the presentation. I was hoping for the latest WWDC keynote. There are some tiny bits here and there on YouTube, but I don't see the whole presentation.