Poll: WWDC 2006 Success?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Were you impresed by this year's WWDC Keynote?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    I think that the PM is impressive, and Leopard has some nice "eye-candy" that I probably won't use. I think that it could have been better with the release of a lower priced computer. Watching PM (and now Mac Pro's) have a continually increasing entry cost is disheartening. Apple needs to address the lower end "PRO" market with a computer to be more competitive. They also need to start releasing computer at a pace similar to the competition, Dell is at least taking orders on Conroe computers already. Apple needs to get one of these out on the market, and a month from now is not soon enough. I say this partly because I want to upgrade, but also because I would like to see Apple be more competitive and continue the market share growth that they have seen this year. They won't do it if they continue to ship updates a month or more later than the competition.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    dotcomctodotcomcto Posts: 130member
    I would like to have seen an update to the iMac and MB(P) lines. I fail to understand the rationale behind waiting to refresh the processors seeing whereas the PC "competition" is already doing so. I realize that WWDC is a developer event and therefore the information and product releases are geared to that community. Nevertheless, it does feel like Apple is dragging its feet a little. Either that, or I'm just whining.

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 3 of 21
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Mac Pro Chuggah Chuggah Chuggah
  • Reply 4 of 21
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Since "One More Thing" appears to have been pulled I can only guess it was a MBP with Core 2 and Intel couldn't deliver the chips in sufficient quantities.

The Mac Pro, I believe, is going to make a lot of Pro users very happy, but I would loved to have seen a mid-range Mac (a Mac Mac?) as I already have a 23" display (attached to a 1.5 G4 PB) and don't need another iMac.

I was impressed with Leopard - it had stuff for the developers to be happy with and also stuff for the average consumers to want. Throw in the Top Secret stuff, which will probably be consumer based, and it looks like Leopard will have us reaching for our wallets when we see everything that is included.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    The ommission of iMac and MBP upgrades was a little disappointing but more than made up for by the Mac Pro which looks awesome. And very competively priced as well. Leopard looks cool from what I've read so far. A 'one more thing' would have been nice but still pretty good IMO.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    User POV: Nice. Not overwhelming, but really nice. Good preview, if they can pull those features off it'll be a solid update.

Dev POV: Oh HELLS yeah. Can't wait to get my hands on those new tools.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus

Since "One More Thing" appears to have been pulled I can only guess it was a MBP with Core 2 and Intel couldn't deliver the chips in sufficient quantities.

There's no way a simple processor upgrade could be a "one more thing."
  • Reply 8 of 21
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    I voted "Could have been better" only because I was hoping for at least an announcement of the Merom MBP. But probably my bad for extrapolating that the 64-bit sign-age would extend to laptops.

That said, I like the new Leopard features, am tantalized by the "top secret" too-good-to-reveal-now hype, and definitely like the Mac Pro. MP seems a very solid machine, and a nice case (internal) redesign that addresses many long-standing complaints about Apple towers. eg:

-- not enough internal drive space

-- not enough PCI slots

-- 2 optical drives

And the CPU config seems to the best Apple could offer at this time. (Another small surprise )
  • Reply 9 of 21
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I thought it was exactly what it should have be and has always been, without any unexpected visitors as far as hardware was concerned. Nothing was left out, and there were even better prices than I predicted.

Lack of video cards was a bit disappointing, but that isn't always the easiest thing with Apple yet. I think at those prices they will sell a butt load of computers.

$2,124.00

for a dual woodcrest Mac Pro is an amazing price, but I'm going straight for the dual 3GHz.

If you weree hoping for more than one Pro Product, and a server (which is all you will get at WWDC) you are a n00b.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    guinessguiness Posts: 31member
    I think Apple needs to update the Finder, the very base of OS X, rather than just focusing on all the bundled apps that come with it. I mean, Finder hasn't had an update in ages. The numerous features that users posted to Hoax Leopard screenshot contests offered tons of good ideas to add, but Apple didn't add any.

One thing Microsoft does well is it pays attention to user input for ways to make its GUI easier to use, by adding commonly used tasks at the right of windows. Apple on the other hand always focuses on being pretty. I'm not saying I don't like OS X' elegance, but come on, add some new features to the much ignored Finder.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guiness

One thing Microsoft does well is it pays attention to user input for ways to make its GUI easier to use,

I guess they don't listen to me.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    The one thing that I did notice is the absence of the Finder upgrade. However, I do think that a significant update to the Finder could be the very thing they are keeping close to the vest. After all, they said they didn't want the photocopiers happening too quickly.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston

The one thing that I did notice is the absence of the Finder upgrade. However, I do think that a significant update to the Finder could be the very thing they are keeping close to the vest. After all, they said they didn't want the photocopiers happening too quickly.

That's right. You'll see the new Finder Spring '07. At that time, you'll hear "Redmond's" diapers filling.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    I like my Mac Pro.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

I like my Mac Pro.

Let us know how good that puppy rocks when you get it.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    I will, I didn't get to order tonight because I don't want to be a little bitch to my parents, and now I'm starting to think that'll delay me a lot...is it really usually the case? Will I be weeks behind people who ordered tonight when I order tomorrow morning?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Placebo - I'm in the same situation. I have to work on parentals. In fact, I found out TA'ing isn't as sure of a bet as I thought it was, so I have to work on my parents both to let me spend a lot, and to let me get it whether or not I get the TA'ing job. So I sympathize, and I may be upwards of a week behind you.

Also - Woodcrests are in great supply, no issue there. But apparently wireless cards and/or X1900XTs/Quadros slow the shipping by 3 weeks now. I'm betting (not sure, but just guessing) that that'll go away as time goes on and Apple gets more X1900XTs, such that if you order next week with a X1900XT, you'll get it the same time as someon who ordered today. I have a sneaking suspicion they're waiting on a massive shipment of graphics cards.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Placebo - I'm in the same situation. I have to work on parentals. In fact, I found out TA'ing isn't as sure of a bet as I thought it was, so I have to work on my parents both to let me spend a lot, and to let me get it whether or not I get the TA'ing job. So I sympathize, and I may be upwards of a week behind you.

Also - Woodcrests are in great supply, no issue there. But apparently wireless cards and/or X1900XTs/Quadros slow the shipping by 3 weeks now. I'm betting (not sure, but just guessing) that that'll go away as time goes on and Apple gets more X1900XTs, such that if you order next week with a X1900XT, you'll get it the same time as someon who ordered today. I have a sneaking suspicion they're waiting on a massive shipment of graphics cards.

It's not hard at all to get X1900s. It's definetly the processors.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Could have been better, in my opinion.

The Mac Pro KICKED ASS, though.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius

It's not hard at all to get X1900s. It's definetly the processors.

It can't be, I checked it for every processor config - 2.0, 2.66, 3.0, and shipping time was unchanged.

Add an X1900XT, BOOM, + 3 weeks.

I think they made up their mind on the graphics late, and the shipment is coming later as a result. Remember that they need like 20,000 X1900XTs