iMac G5 going into Coma

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey,

Just recently (I think since installing the latest security patch) my first ed. iMac G5 1.8 (OS X 10.4.7) has occasionally gone into a coma after periods of disuse. By coma I mean that the sleep light and computer appear to be off but will not start up and I think it is in fact sleeping but won't wake from sleep. No amount of hard resetting will work and the only way to get it functioning again is to turn it off at the wall and reboot! Is anyone else experiencing this and what can I do about it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Hmm, no one else experiencing this??? I just went to the Apple Support page and apparently there are potential power/video problems with the first rev iMac G5s and an extended warranty program, so I am taking it to a service centre to see if it qualifies.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf

Hey,

Just recently (I think since installing the latest security patch) my first ed. iMac G5 1.8 (OS X 10.4.7) has occasionally gone into a coma after periods of disuse. By coma I mean that the sleep light and computer appear to be off but will not start up and I think it is in fact sleeping but won't wake from sleep. No amount of hard resetting will work and the only way to get it functioning again is to turn it off at the wall and reboot! Is anyone else experiencing this and what can I do about it?

• Reply 2 of 4
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Yes I can vouch for those after now being on my 4th Logic Board and getting close to a full replacement mac if this one goes also

You would be better to get it seen to as Apple has an extended warranty plan for these issues and it would be fixed free of charge.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    My Mac is currently getting serviced and fixed free of charge, but they didn't really explain what the replacement part was...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au

Yes I can vouch for those after now being on my 4th Logic Board and getting close to a full replacement mac if this one goes also

You would be better to get it seen to as Apple has an extended warranty plan for these issues and it would be fixed free of charge.

• Reply 4 of 4
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf

My Mac is currently getting serviced and fixed free of charge, but they didn't really explain what the replacement part was...

Just check the service sheet they give you it should say Logic Board and maybe Power Supply as these are also replaced if needed.

Good Luck