Memory

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, I need more memory.

I just now noticed that I do.

I have a 15 inch macbook pro and I have 1 gig (2x512) (it said on the "learn more" tab while ordering that the MBP is dual channel.

Fine. So I ordered it 2x512 and it's not enough.

I just looked at the apple website about getting a 2 gb stick...

600 dollars.............Holy F*cking S*it

So my questions is/are

1.Do I have to buy apple brand memory?

2.Is it advisible to buy it used from somewhere?

3.Where should I buy it one way or another?

4.How many memory sticks can I put in the MBP?

I can get 17% off in the Apple store..but even that isn't enough......

Help me oh wise computer geeks of wisdom!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    brentlybrently Posts: 26member
    Well if you look closer you will see that apple only sells 1 gig sticks and that the 2gig price is for 2 (1 gig) sticks.

For memory check out Crucialmemory.com

What are you doing that you would need 2 gig anyway.

1. NO

2. nah

3. yes read above

4. 2 gig total (2 1 gig sticks)
  • Reply 2 of 10
    WoW.

It uses up nearly all my memory i have 15 gigs in VM
  • Reply 3 of 10
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    A word of advice: always max out the memory on BTO machines (except, probably the new Mac Pro! Rarely will anyone complain of too much memory, and the cost is spread out over a long time. It is not like an external hard drive where you can take all that stuff you really shouldn't have on your laptop anyway and store it, or use an iDisk as backup.

I do wonder, though, what the memory impact is of the use of memory for video.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit

A word of advice: always max out the memory on BTO machines (except, probably the new Mac Pro! Rarely will anyone complain of too much memory, and the cost is spread out over a long time. It is not like an external hard drive where you can take all that stuff you really shouldn't have on your laptop anyway and store it, or use an iDisk as backup.

I do wonder, though, what the memory impact is of the use of memory for video.

A word of advice. BTO downgrade memory from Apple, and get memory elsewhere. It's so much cheaper.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

A word of advice. BTO downgrade memory from Apple, and get memory elsewhere. It's so much cheaper.

But only if you go for later installation or do it yourself. I would never recommend the latter in a powerbook-- oops MacBook-- and really wonder if the "savings" are all that great if one has to go back to replace a bad bank one day-- as I did with one of my G4^3s.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Go to ramseeker.com. Select your machine and it will search the best prices.

Get 100% certified, lifetime warranty ram. We just got 2 gigs of memory for our MacBook for $160. Works like a charm.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    what is bto?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orionetheus

what is bto?

Build/Built-To-Order
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Buy two of these for $150 and be happy...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820218096

or go to crucialmemory.com and pay $256, it's your choice.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I bought a 2 gig kit from crucial memory for 198...strange.