Coolest product shown at the keynote?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Too many to do a poll

I thought webclip was the best as far as software.. that kind of thing is way harder than it looks.

The 4x proc Mac pros were a great surprise.

Time machine was neat but it looks bloated (plus it crashed). I don't know that I'd ever use it regularly.

If they get time machine to work I think that'd be about the most killer feature in leopard. That interface is brilliant.

Leopard is a way bigger jump ahead than tiger was to panther.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    I thought Spaces was probably the feature that I would use most, making it the "coolest" to me. Time Machine, though, did seem to be the "money shot" feature, with all the spiffy aninmations.

Did anyone else think Jobs' tag-team approach on Leopard with Forstall was interesting? I looked on Apple's site, and Forstall isn't even a "Senior Vice President," instead being "Vice President of Platform Experience." I don't think Avie has been replaced yet, so I wonder if Forstall is getting ready to be promoted...
  • Reply 2 of 22
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Handling Platform Experience (basically the feel of the OS) and being a*Chief Software Technology Officer are to very different things.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Dirk

Did anyone else think Jobs' tag-team approach on Leopard with Forstall was interesting? I looked on Apple's site, and Forstall isn't even a "Senior Vice President," instead being "Vice President of Platform Experience." I don't think Avie has been replaced yet, so I wonder if Forstall is getting ready to be promoted...

Jobs has lost weight since the last time I've seen him.. at least 20 pounds..

Perhaps follow-up stuff to his cancer thing?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

Too many to do a poll

The 4x proc Mac pros were a great surprise.

That surprised you? Fuck I've been telling you this for months. The first prediction I made was All the Mac Pro's will be woodcrest based, and have 2 sockets. I distinctly said many times that Apple doesn't bring out the single socket machine until a like 4 months later.

Nobody listens.

But being that these are woodcrest based (made for dual sockets) I don't think they will do that this time.

I also said that they should start using hot swappable drive bays - What did they give. Something damn close o the same thing. They may even be hot swappable. Who knows. They looked like it.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    iChat's updates.

Spaces.

Time Machine.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Time Machine was the coolest thing I've seen in awhile, use wise and visual wise.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    yeah, time machine was really something!

i like the part of the keynote where it misfired, launched itself a few minutes earlier and put us all back to the early '90s - a time when on-screen stationery was considered 'totally rad'...
  • Reply 8 of 22
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tubgirl

yeah, time machine was really something!

i like the part of the keynote where it misfired, launched itself a few minutes earlier and put us all back to the early '90s - a time when on-screen stationery was considered 'totally rad'...

Time machine is a killer app IMHO. Anyone that has ever lost any significant amount of work will understand. AND it doesn't take a call to IT and waiting days to get your files back. It doesn't require IT at all.

As for mail...eh. Its not what I'd consider a top 10 but its a nice little feature for the switchers that aren't all that technical.

Spaces has been done before but its done well as near as you can tell in a demo.

Vinea
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea

As for mail...eh. Its not what I'd consider a top 10 but its a nice little feature for the switchers that aren't all that technical.

Something tells me those 10 featuers listed yesterday wern't the Leopard top 10. I think most of the things that would be listed in a top 10 were probably covered with the "Top Secret" comment. That is except for Time Machine. 8)
  • Reply 10 of 22
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    There is a feature in iChat that was not covered in the presentation but can be found on the Website. Remote desktop for the masses. That will be big. Web Clip might just get me into the Dashboard more often. There are many possibilities with that one. And I have lost priceless work before. Can't wait for TM. Frankly, I would pay $129 just for the features they showed off. The complete product will be fantastic.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I can't wait for my Mac Pro.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    my reading of the time machine mess up was that iphoto crashed out.. and the guy (dont know his name) was trying to force quit it... take another look you can just make out the top of the letters... i only watched it once, i could be wrong but im usually right with movies... comes from having no access to a VCR

Time Machine is pretty handy, if 4 % of people only PROPERLY back up then this is a BIG thing... but isnt it basically a form of Raid? ie you have it on the other disk ?? {yeah i KNOW its not raid, but ...}

ive used "spaces" in linux and its COOL should put that to good use next year

but its been webclip thats been buzzing around MY head as the one thats a lot of FUN with potential for LOTS of stuff.

MacPros ... yeah ive been doing the math and i can almost afford one... DAMN IT!
  • Reply 13 of 22
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Mail stationary! :cough:
  • Reply 14 of 22
    the mac pro : its my first mac...ever... : no more p.o.s. windows for me.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    It took Apple how long to reach 3GHz? At least they're doing it in style. I was suprised at the lack of IBM bashing though.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    [These aren't OS features, but Apple will market them as such, but anyway... ]

Web clips is incredibly simple, but completely amazing. Very useful! I wonder how it works with secure web pages... (I'd like to use it with my webmail from work, which requires a password and kicks you off after 20-odd minutes of non-activity, but it's probably not able to do that...)

The coolest thing imo was ichat theater--I can see using this a lot with my parents (pics/movies of their grandchild, etc)--and remote desktop via iChat. Finally a way to troubleshoot my parent's comp without having to explain to my mother where the File menu is every other minute. w00t!
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Well I would have to say Spaces because I often find mself with too much cluttered on my screen.

Also I'm new to the whole WWDC thing but since the keynote is over does this mean no new ipod or iphone or anything? I know, newbish question.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    ^ Probably at the Paris Expo in Mid-September.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbird_1.0

^ Probably at the Paris Expo in Mid-September.

Damn. So is there going to be anything that is new and exciting at this keynote for other people than devolopers?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

Too many to do a poll

I thought webclip was the best as far as software.. that kind of thing is way harder than it looks.

I'd be interested to see just how it works. They could just be loading the full webpage and centering the location of the webclip within the area of the widget, which is easy enough to do, but they might also have had it capture the various elements of the webpage and created a temporary mini-page composed of those clipped lines of HTML for the widget the run.

I've thought of a webclip sort of app before but never knew how to go about it.