17" CRT Apple Monitor + Radeon 8500

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello. I have an Apple Studio Display 17" CRT, and am having difficulty figuring out a way to connect it to the ATI Radeon 8500 card I just purchased.

In the Radeon box along with the graphics card, there were a couple of adapters included, but none of them fit my monitor's cable. I've looked around the net for some type of adapter and have found nothing promising except the DrBott website (www.drbott.com), but even here I was unable to locate a solution. Has anyone (with the same monitor as me) successfully connected to a Radeon 8500 card, and if so, will you tell me what adapter you have that allowed you to connect it?

Is my monitor incompatible?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

[ 09-27-2002: Message edited by: JDraden ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I have two Studio 17" CRT displays connected to the 8500 card. The Studio display just plugs into one of the card ports without the need for an adapter. My second display uses one of the adapters that came with the card for the other port.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Thank you for that, but that means that our monitors are not the same. My monitor's plug doesn't have any screws, I think yours does. Mine is round at the edges, I believe yours would be more square. Is "17inch CRT Studio Display" not the correct name of my monitor? oh well.

I am sad, I shall be returning the Radeon 8500 card. I have found no solution.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    does the connetor look like that ? :

[ 09-28-2002: Message edited by: Defiant ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 12
    <a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75286"; target="_blank">http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75286</a>;

quoting from link above

[quote] The Apple DVI to ADC adapter is Not compatible with Studio Display 17 CRT.

<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Thanks Defiant... no it does not look like that one- It snaps onto the Mac, it has no screw-holes.

Again, I do appreciate everyone's replies, I'm going to just return the card- kinda a high price for me to pay anyway since I just wanted it for Quartz Extreem.

-Mike
  • Reply 6 of 12
    it is a ADC connector then.

does it cary power, usb and video in one cable ?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>it is a ADC connector then.

does it cary power, usb and video in one cable ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It carries power, video, and USB in one cable, I believe it is ADC, that's correct.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    it's ADC, yes. so what about that adapter from dr. bott ?

<a href="http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=0116-ADCD"; target="_blank">link</a>
  • Reply 9 of 12
    That's it!

Thank you so much!

-M
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Something I thought I should mention:

the link Defiant provided is for an ADC to DVI connector. That will only work for connecting a card with ADC to a monitor with a DVI connector, not vice versa.

To connect the Radeon 8500 (with DVI and VGA out) to the 17" CRT with an ADC cable you need a DVI to ADC converter, similar to the one provided by Apple for the Powerbooks or the DVIator by Dr. Bott. However, neither of these connectors is compatible with the circa 2000 17" CRT Apple Studio Display with ADC (I know, I've got one myself and I've been looking for a way to upgrade my video card for a long time). The documentation for both these connectors specifically states that the 17" CRT monitors WILL NOT WORK.

As a result, I've decided to wait for the Radeon 9000 Pro that ATI will release soon, as it reputedly has both ADC and DVI connectors on it. Its almost as good as the 8500, and will definitely provide Quartz Extreme for yummy GUIness.

Just my 2¢

Blueflame

PS - GeFen has a VGA to ADC that MAY work to connect the 8500 to your monitor, but it costs roughly $300... :eek: Check it out: <a href="http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1301"; target="_blank">VGA to ADC</a>

[ 09-30-2002: Message edited by: Blueflame ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 12
    THank you for telling me this, Blueflame, I really appreciate it. I will wait for the 9000 also and return my current card.

I did get the card working with my PC's Compaq monitor for a little while, and to be honest I did not notice ANY difference in the responsivness of the system.. THe only difference was that the desktop pics faded from one to another... worth $200+? hmm..

perhaps the UI is already fast because I have a dual processor, so QE doesn't make a difference? I'm not sure.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by JDraden:

<strong>THank you for telling me this, Blueflame, I really appreciate it. I will wait for the 9000 also and return my current card.

I did get the card working with my PC's Compaq monitor for a little while, and to be honest I did not notice ANY difference in the responsivness of the system.. THe only difference was that the desktop pics faded from one to another... worth $200+? hmm..

perhaps the UI is already fast because I have a dual processor, so QE doesn't make a difference? I'm not sure.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have the Single Processor G4 400 (Gigabit Ethernet) model, so I'll probably notice a bigger difference seeing as I've only one processor to take care of the UI tasks right now. However, you should be able to multitask better since some of the UI tasks will be handled by the GPU rather than filling up your CPU. For more information check out the QE demonstration from seybold this year at Apple's website <a href="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/seybold_02/"; target="_blank">Seybold 2002 QT Stream</a>. The part about QE begins around 17 mins into the stream.

Blueflame