Which browser do you use?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    Safari here.

Simpler, cleaner, effective.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    noah93noah93 Posts: 168member
    firefox. safari just kept crashing on me. plus firefox has A LOT of useful extensions.

Noah
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Thanks for the link. . . It's a good one. I use a lot of GNU and posix apps, so this is a good find.

But the Allegro I'm talking about is somewhat different.

No probs, I did think the description was a little off for the stuff you mentioned (engineering etc). Worth a shot though.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    It looks like most of you have/use fast machines. 867 MHz G4 here and the most viable solutions are (in order of preference) Camino and Safari. Camino is just lightweight and you can turn animations off. It also feels noticeably faster than Safari on older machines.

I try occasionally the other browsers too, mostly when I check for their updated versions, just for a spin. But on an old G4, browsers like Firefox and Omniweb seem rather bloated and slow (though Firefox is speedy in rendering, but this benefit gets lost in how it generally feels).

Now to support further my theory about browsers on older machines, I ran (don't laugh ) both Camino and Firefox on an old black Powerbook G3. Needless to say that Camino won hands down. Firefox is downright painful on this machine.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by macanoid?

Omniweb here as well, Omniweb 5.5 that is. Quite often, when sites don't work, all you have to do is switch the user agent to, say, firefox or windows IE6, and it all works fine.

Don't be so sure about that. Perhaps it works 99% of time (random number), but I know at least one case where even the agent change cannot trick the server. It worked in an older Omniweb version but not in the 5 family.

Oh, by the way Omniweb is my favorite for the look and feel, just I have not yet an enough powerful machine to run it comfortably.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Don't be so sure about that. Perhaps it works 99% of time (random number), but I know at least one case where even the agent change cannot trick the server. It worked in an older Omniweb version but not in the 5 family.

That's why I wrote: 'Quite often'
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by macanoid?

That's why I wrote: 'Quite often'

Apologies, I missed that.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I use Safari as my primary browser because of the .Mac syncing, keychain integration and the native interface widgets. I'd get more behind FireFox if at the very least when I hit shift-down it the URL field it would select the rest of the URL after the insertion point like just like the text handling in my precious BBEdit and other apps. I've tried most of the other browsers but I think I'll stick with Safari.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    Theres still a ton of sites and videos that dont load on macs anyway so that sucks
  • Reply 30 of 43
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    FYI, CamiTools ( http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28750 ) addon let's you change your browser agent indentifier or whatever that's called within Camino, so you can tell it to say it is IE or Firefox or whatever you want
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Safari all the way on several machines.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    I use Safari. I also laugh at people (see: Aquatic) who think Firefox is faster because Safari, benchmarked, is actually 10 times faster on the most part, and both suffer from the same overcaching problem. (Also of interest: both were started and largely written by David Hyatt. Safari benefitted from all the mistakes of Firefox).

When Shiira 2.0 comes out, though, it may take Safari's place: http://mark.alittlenoise.com/blog/?p=22
  • Reply 33 of 43
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    I use Safari, Firefox, and Camino. Safari is generally good but sometimes it crashes on sites when the other two will not. It also does not work on some sites.

For example, Safari does not work with Zillow.com but the other two do. Always have a back up browser on hand.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

(Also of interest: both were started and largely written by David Hyatt. Safari benefitted from all the mistakes of Firefox).

http://mark.alittlenoise.com/blog/?p=22

Firefox was started and largely written by Blake Ross, and Safari, or its main portion, KHTML, was started and totally written by the KDE developers.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Clean

Firefox was started and largely written by Blake Ross, and Safari, or its main portion, KHTML, was started and totally written by the KDE developers.

Quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Mozilla_Firefox

Quote:

The Mozilla Firefox project was created by Dave Hyatt and Blake Ross as an experimental branch of the Mozilla project. Firefox 1.0 was released on November 9, 2004.

Whee.

Also, WebKit is only loosely based in KHTML, thus why they complain periodically on Slashdot about how far it's "branched off." At this point, Webkit implements a lot of the hacks Hyatt implemented in Firefox. It has its roots in KHTML, but it's been completely ripped apart and revitalized.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Whee.

For some reason you failed to mention Blake Ross. Whee?

Quote:

Also, WebKit is only loosely based in KHTML,

Wrong.

Quote:

thus why they complain periodically on Slashdot about how far it's "branched off."

Official KDE blogs and mailing lists are on dot.kde.org so Slashdot doesn't count.

Quote:

At this point, Webkit implements a lot of the hacks Hyatt implemented in Firefox. It has its roots in KHTML, but it's been completely ripped apart and revitalized.

It's so completely ripped apart that KDE guys are able to easily (with proper documentation) implement the changes in their version of KHTML. WebKit has brought some new things, but "loosely based" is not what I would call it.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Clean

For some reason you failed to mention Blake Ross. Whee?

Wrong.

Official KDE blogs and mailing lists are on dot.kde.org so Slashdot doesn't count.

It's so completely ripped apart that KDE guys are able to easily (with proper documentation) implement the changes in their version of KHTML. WebKit has brought some new things, but "loosely based" is not what I would call it.

I think you should look at the WebKit source code...it's nothing like KHTML now. Really...look at the source code.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Also, WebKit is only loosely based in KHTML, thus why they complain periodically on Slashdot about how far it's "branched off."

I'm not sure if you're deliberately confusing WebKit and WebCore, but in any case, WebCore and KHTML are actually very similar.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

I'm sick of switching back and forth on browsers, and need to get talked into using just one. Which one do you guys use and why do you use it over the others?

those of you that use FF, do you use mousegestures? i'm coming over from PC to macbook and i'm wondering how i'm going to do mousegestures with only one button. i have FF with gestures on my wife's ibook and they didn't work very well using only the "left" click. i'd try to drag a link (super drag and go) and it would do the mouse gesture. i tried to scroll a scroll bar inside a webpage (not the generic one on the right side) and it did a gesture.

which really begs the bigger question: why aren't the macbooks and macbook pros equipped with a trackpad like the mighty mouse, in that it senses "left" and "right" clicks?
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Camino.

I prefer Safari, except with Camino I can use CamiTools to block ads. There's PithHelmet for Safari, but I'm too cheap to pay for it. I also dig CamiTools' ability to ad different search engines to Camino. I can search 30 different sites from my search bar in Camino.

Firefox is cool with all the plug-ins or modules or whatever they're called, but after I loaded it down with over 15 modules it bogged down and started acting funny. Also, I don't care for Firefox's non-Aqua behavior.

Shiira is promising, and I love the print to PDF feature that churns out a website onto a single, pageless PDF file, but the browser is too buggy for daily use. Maybe in a year or two it will be polished enough.

Opera has the most useful features IMO, but it's too bloated and like Firefox it's cursed with a non-OS X GUI.

Here's what I'd like to see in Safari:

More ad-blocking features. Add some options for managing flash content and animations, so web sites don't look like Las fucking Vegas.

Advanced download manager. It's pathetic that in Safari I have to pass off downloads to an external app. Just add the download manager features already! Include the ability to throttle downloads so there's bandwidth left for other uses. Add a download scheduler. Add the ability to process web sites and suck 'em down, like with wget (isn't that open source? Apple could just use it). This is all basic stuff that any browser should have. I understand that Apple would have to dumb it down to make it accesable to idiots, but a few advanced preference panes should be all that's needed.

Multisession management. Like Spaces, but for Safari. If I'm in the middle of research with 30 windows/tabs open, but need to shut down for some reason, I should be able to save the session and return to the previous state via cache, with the option to do a live update. If I'm in the middle of a wanking session and am suddenly interrupted by my girlfriend, I should be able to save the session, call up my research session instantaneously, and then the next day return instantaneously to my wanking session.

Configurable search bar, not for just Google, but for ANY site.