Old iMac and IDE disks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I decided to resurrect my old iMac. The trouble is it refuses to recognize IDE disks. It worked fine with a WD 20 GB disk until I needed that disk elsewhere. Now I have a 12 GB WD and a couple of Seagate disks - none of these seems to be compatible. Is there a special procedure for installing hard disks? Something I'm not aware of? I'd appreciate all tips, hints and ideas.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blues

I decided to resurrect my old iMac. The trouble is it refuses to recognize IDE disks. It worked fine with a WD 20 GB disk until I needed that disk elsewhere. Now I have a 12 GB WD and a couple of Seagate disks - none of these seems to be compatible. Is there a special procedure for installing hard disks? Something I'm not aware of? I'd appreciate all tips, hints and ideas.

If you're trying to run OS X, you need to partition the drive so that OS X resides entirely within the first 8 GB. If you're running an earlier version of Mac OS, there are several firmware updates that must be completed prior to installing the OS or Bad Things(tm) will happen.

Check this for an overview.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    bluesblues Posts: 40member
    Thanks for reply. Unfortunately, I cannot partition the disk(s) because they are not recognized. When the OS X install reaches the point where I need to choose where to install there's nothing to choose from. No disk whatsoever. I've got jumpers right. I've tried also other jumper settings. I'm getting real good in disassembling/assembling iMac's. I already can do it in dark in less than 3 minutes. But being olympic champ in changing HDD jumpers isn't my goal. I'd like to get the damn thing working.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Just to make sure, have you used the OSX disk utility from the install CD? As I recall, once you've booted from the install CD, you should be able to access it from the Apple menu.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    bluesblues Posts: 40member
    That was it! Being a Mac newbie I didn't know about this utility.

Thanks alot!